facebook

rushing as a sophomore

by:    

I was really disappointed with the house I got so I dropped. I still want to be in greek life next year, though. What are my chances of getting a bid as a sophomore who has already rushed? Are sophomore quotas a real thing?

Posted By: Wondering
Page 1 of 2
#1by:    

Not very good. There will be lots of girls on here who support you because they want people to drop out because it makes their house look better. But not many sophomores get bids to good houses and you won't even have a chance with the house you dropped. It makes you look kind of pathetic that you couldn't find even one girl out of 400 or so that you were not disappointed in. Sorry.

By: truthfully
by: Wondering    

What about sophomore quotas?

By: Wondering
by: well   

Not every house takes sophomores even though there's a quota because they already have a bonded group of sophomores and the new one will be with the freshmen - awkward. So the ones they do take are ones that are already best friends with a lot of girls in the house and have already bonded with many in the sophomore class. Its rarer than rare for a random sophomore to be picked up by any of the top or middle tier houses and still rare for a bottom house to take one. Nearly every sophomore is dropped completely. That's the sad truth.

By: well
#2by:    

I rushed as a sophomore and wound up with no house so honestly don't do it. Just try to make the best of it and make a really good effort! It's all about what you make it! It may not feel like your house now but give it a bit and you probably won't be able to imagine your life without it! Good luck

By: Hey
#3by:    

If you've already dropped, beg them to reconsider and then make your best efforts to fall in love with them.

By: suggest
#4by:    

If you got to the end, took a bid, then NO ONE will touch you as a sophomore. Honestly, you will prob get cut by almost everyone (including the house that gave you a bid) after first round. Even if you pull a 4.0 your freshman year, lose 15 pounds, and wear the latest David Yurman, it won't help.

Recommend you touch base with the house you dropped after getting a bid. Tell them you were totally overwhelmed or something. If they didn't COB or snap bid your spot, they might take you back (possibly spring semester after a senior graduates).

By: You Blew It
by: Really   

If you want to be Greek - transfer.

By: Really
#5by:    

These spots are usually saved for friends of girls in the house who did not/were not able to go through recruitment, and transfers.

There is no way my house would invite back a girl who pledged elsewhere and dropped. Sorry.

Agree with others, go back to the house you received a bid from and try to work it out. Sorority involvement goes well beyond four years in college. I have seen that with my mom and aunts.

By: Sophomore Quota
by: someone   

how would your house even know if I took a bid elsewhere and then dropped...

By: someone
by: How it works   

Research is done on all PNMs. If someone accepted a bid and dropped, it is easy to find out. Houses don’t want ppl that drop, they would rather have another girl that will stick with the sorority where they get a bid. She will get dropped by a lot of houses, if not all.

By: How it works
#6by:    

I mostly agreed with these statements until two sophomore friends of mine went through rush this year and had full lists practically every day, including a LOT of top houses. They had almost zero connections to the houses as well. Given neither pledged a sorority freshman year, that may have a massive effect on whether or not a house will consider you.

By: Actually

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: this   

This is the thing that you should beware of. I sincerely doubt that the person above really knows what happened with her friends. This is a completely unlikely scenario and might just be a trick to make you drop by reassuring you you'd have a better house next year. Top houses want girls to drop other houses because it makes those houses look even lower.

By: this
by: So   

(if we are to believe "Actually") she's saying that her two friends who DID NOT GO THROUGH RECRUITMENT AS FRESHMEN had full lists and got bids with no connections.

1) HIGHLY unlikely
2) IF true (and it's not), "Wondering" is STILL lower on the totem pole and doesn't stand a chance

By: So
by: How it works   

They key detail in this story is that the sophomore’s hasn’t previously rushed and dropped after accepting a bid. That is a big difference in scenarios.

By: How it works
#7by:    

In my house, if we know a girl received a bid from another house and dropped then we drop her automatically unless people in the house are really pulling for her. Give yourself until initiation to decide if you want to drop, your chances of getting a bid to another house are slim

By: X
#8by:    

my freshman roommate did not go through freshman year but did as a sophomore, and me and our other friends were all pulling for her in our houses. she had decent invites to philanthropy but had only 3 houses she knew well and a "lower tier" house at sisterhood and 1 house she knew well and the "lower tier" house for pref (this was when there were still 3 parties). she pledged where two of our friends are, but even in my house where I was really fighting for her the sophomores we took knew more people, and knew more juniors and seniors.

yes, it's possible to go through after dropping and get a "better" house, but it's like a 2% chance, and mostly only if you had bad grades this time and get a 4.0 this year. you will most likely have a similar or worse recruitment. and as for how we'd know you pledged and dropped, it may not seem like it on here, but the houses get along and when you pop up on the list of people signed up next year your old house will mention it to other houses.

By: hey
#9by:    

Tbh even if a girl had like a super valid reason for dropping recruitment besides she didn't like the houses she got back, ie like sickness, death in family, etc. if she rushed again she would probably end up with the same bid. You end up where you're supposed to be and we know if a pnm is supposed to be in our house or not.

By: L
#10by:    

No sophomore quota is not a thing. I rushed as a sophomore and went in thinking i would get dropped by almost every house immediately. But I managed to get the average amount of invites back everytime. Also, a lot of girls rush as sophomores and you will notice how many upperclassmen are in your group. Plus, actives that rushed as sophomores will come up to you and talk to you during your rush parties. But you have to be prepared that every single party you attend, they will ask you if you rushed last year and why you’re going through it again so you better have a good answer. Just focus on your grades this year because a good gpa will help you. Good Luck!

By: Soph rushee
by: ???   

Upperclass quota is a thing. IDK why you'd say it isn't, but it does exist and isn't just some greekrank myth. The issue is every freshman thinks sophomore quota = "if I drop my bottom tier house and rush again I'm guaranteed a spot at a different house since they HAVE to take sophomores" which isn't what it is. It just means a sophomore rushing (or a junior for that matter) isn't taking a spot away from a freshman and vice versa. It does not exist at all schools but does exist and is described in the MOI.

By: ???

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.