facebook

snap bid?

by: rushee

What's a snap bid?

Posted By: rushee
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: lll   

Snap bids are given out mainly on bid day when a sorority does not make their quota. This mainly means that a sorority was too selective in who they cut during the entirety of rush. Therefore on bid day they give out bids to girls who have been dropped by all of the houses in order to make quota. Only panhellenic and the house knows who the snap bidder girls are. I view it as a slap in the face.

By: lll
by: waitFeb 25, 2015 2:38:31 PM

Wouldn't the girls know if they were given a snap bid? Like if they had been dropped by all the houses and still got a bid?

By: wait
by: ?Feb 25, 2015 8:30:58 PM

Are girls who suicided or dropped out of rush eligible for snap bids? (Is this the same as COB?) Some older girls from my hometown said that last year there was an issue with some pnms intentionally dropping and having their friends in a house "save them a spot" and offer them a snap bid. Idk how that would actually work though.

By: ?
by: ^Feb 25, 2015 8:32:31 PM

Clarifying, I am NOT thinking of doing this btw. Just curious to know how that worked out...

By: ^
by: Active Feb 25, 2015 9:10:56 PM

You cannot receive a snap bid if you suicide or drop out of recruitment. You have to be dropped completely from recruitment.

By: Active
by: @activeFeb 25, 2015 11:40:50 PM

^^ Not true. I had a girl drop out of rush after the second day and wind up with a bid on bid day.

By: @active
by: Oh?Feb 26, 2015 1:27:34 AM

Did that really happen? Or was the girl released by everybody and just claimed she dropped out?
Not saying it didn't happen, but statements like these often prove to be fabrications when the person is questioned closely...or the person just didn't understand to begin with.

By: Oh?
by: ^^Feb 26, 2015 10:02:23 AM

Yeah, I'm sorry, but that's not the way it works. Your friend was dropped and was too embarrassed to tell anyone. Those ARE THE RULES. It's designed so that people who maximize their options are rewarded and those who suicide or drop out are not.

By: ^^
#2  by: WRONG   

OK no one above me is thinking of the correct term, sorry. They are confusing SNAP BIDS with QUOTA ADDITIONS.
A Quota Addition is a PNM who otherwise would not have gotten a bid, and will be matched to a chapter she has listed on her pref round rankings AS LONG AS HER NAME APPEARS ON THEIR PREFERENTIAL BID LIST (AKA they wanted to extend her a bid). So Suzy ranks after pref round: 1. Sorority ABC 2. Sorority XYZ, meaning she would prefer to get a bid from sorority ABC, but if XYZ extends her a bid she would accept it as well. The sororities turn in their preferential lists, the list of girls they would like to extend bids to. The list is bigger than what quota is because not everyone on their list will have ranked them as number 1. So let's say quota is 100, the first 100 girls on that list are the chapters' ideal pledge classes.
Anyone after those 100 they would only get extended a bid if any of the first 100 ranked another chapter as their number 1 and got a bid from them or if anyone dropped out after ranking chapters at preference round. So Suzy is on both of ABC and XYZ's lists, but further down. Both sororities have reached quota before getting to Suzy
Suzy will not go bidless though! She MAXIMIZED HER OPTIONS, and now she will become a quota addition to one of the chapters since BOTH of them would have extended her a bid. I cannot say with any certainty HOW we choose where to send the QA girl, but the point is, you get a bid from one of the houses you have at pref.

By: WRONG
by: WRONGFeb 26, 2015 10:35:07 AM

Continued...
SUZY HAS NO IDEA SHE IS A QUOTA ADDITION, AND NO ONE ELSE WILL EITHER EXCEPT PEOPLE INVOLVED IN RECRUITMENT FROM PANHEL AND FROM THE CHAPTER SHE GOT A BID TO.
Now, SNAP BIDS. If at the end of the bid matching process is a house has not made quota, they can “snap bid”. A snap bid is a bid extended to a girl who withdrew from the recruitment process for whatever reason, but that the chapter was still inviting back. So Sally had 3 sororities on her invite list and ABC was one of them. If everyone ABC extended bids to accepts them, they will have 98 new members, 2 below quota so they can snap bid in order to reach quota. Sally withdrew from recruitment for whatever reason, but on bid day she gets a call from someone on ABCs recruitment team telling her that ABC was still felt like she was a good candidate for membership and would to extend a bid to her. She can accept or decline during this phone call. This is done on Bid Day so no one except the recruitment chairs and the PNM herself will know if they were a snap bid unless said PNM mouthed off to everyone how she dropped out of recruitment, then magically wound up with a bid. Girls who are “snap bids” receive their bids along with all of the other PNM’s and participate in all of the Bid Day activities.
SO QUOTA ADDITIONS are for girls who maximize their options and you never really even know you are one. SNAP BIDS happen to girls who withdrew from recruitment and a chapter is below quota wants to still bid her.

By: WRONG
by: wonderingFeb 26, 2015 11:40:44 AM

Is everyone who prefs a house included somewhere on the bid list? Say 200 girls pref a house. Would all 200 appear somewhere on the bid list?

By: wondering
by: Active Feb 26, 2015 1:48:49 PM

No, I obviously know the difference between quota additions and snap bidding. I just don't think you read that right. Yes, I know that to be a quota addition you have to maximize your options, but you also have to do that to be a snap bid. Snap bids are for girls that have been completely dropped from recruitment, but attended all of their parties and did not drop themselves. Like I said, the system is intended to reward those who maximize their options (which is a phrase that does not just mean putting all 3 houses on your bid card).

By: Active

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.