facebook

colonization?

by: nongreek

What is the possibility of a new NPC sorority colonization anytime soon here at UA? I am older but still really want to be in a sorority and think that would be a perfect option for me.

Posted By: nongreek
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: No   

Not in the next few years unfortunately. One of the only chapters that would really have a chance is sigma kappa and they had two really big colonizations this year so they'll probably be laying off the big schools for a few years. We've been open for presentations for a while but none have been selected.

By: No
by: ^Feb 1, 2015 3:25:03 PM

The only group that's even tried to present in the last couple of years was Delta Phi Epsilon, but they weren't invited to recolonize -- not enough resources for a campus like this.

I honestly don't see any new groups coming to campus anytime soon.

By: ^
#2  by: can't remember   

I heard Tri Sig was trying to reestablish here, but there's no way that'll come soon; currently, there isn't really enough space for more than one new sorority on the row, and even if one moved in they'd be pressured almost immediately into selling the lot for other sororities to build their houses on.

The way I see it, it just comes down to space, and with Nick Saban trying to have AOII and Theta bulldozed, there's really non left. KD's old house and the house Phi Mu is in right now will be emptied in the coming years but they'll be torn down sooner or later.

By: can't remember
by: ListenFeb 2, 2015 12:24:02 AM

Consider Sigma Delta Tau. It's an NPC sorority, but does not participate in formal recruitment. They have a close sisterhood, a small house, and do most of the same things the sororities with big houses do. They take "non-traditional" students, and have some very outstanding women.
Frankly, you should go through formal. You would learn a LOT, meet a lot of people...you could find a group, or not, but one way or another, it would be quite an experience! And would help in looking at other groups.

By: Listen
by: SDTFeb 3, 2015 4:35:52 PM

I don't think we should colonize a new chapter until SDT hops off of their butts and joins in formal recruitment like the rest of the sororities. They are a NPC house and should do recruitment to increase their numbers and from there they can accumulate enough money to build a real sorority house. Not trying to be mean but they're doing themselves a disservice hiding away and doing recruitment as if they are just colonizing..

By: SDT
by: AgreeFeb 4, 2015 4:10:10 PM

^Spot on. Also I know SK is pulling out all the stops to be successful at Indiana (they're planning on getting a house, which the other recent colonizations there haven't, or can't) so it could be years before they end up here.

By: Agree
by: ^Feb 11, 2015 11:56:58 PM

aephi not aepi

By: ^
#3  by: Plus   

AXiD is going to be colonizing at South Carolina next year, and they may reopen at UGA (AXiD and Alpha Phi are presenting).

By: Plus
#4  by: Listen   

To the OP - do you think it's "easier" to join a sorority via colonization?
If anything, it's harder. They have a lot of women to choose from, and they're looking for a definite mix of personalities, along with good students.
Plus, a colony is like being a pledge for a full year, not just a few weeks. It's a LOT of extra work! You're doing the jobs that officers and committee members do as well as learning everything you need to know about the sorority - regulations, procedures, people, rituals, traditions - as well as setting up things tailored to your group. There are no upperclassmen to guide you or tell you what they did in the past - it's ALL on your shoulders, with guides from a handful of advisers.
Colony members tend to be pretty independent, self-starters who can react fast while coming up with their own solutions.

By: Listen
by: OkFeb 6, 2015 2:19:55 AM

Colonies have to take juniors and seniors too, I think that's all she meant. I know colonization is very competitive but a senior still has a better chance there than formal.

By: Ok
by: TrueFeb 13, 2015 11:35:35 AM

Seniors have zero chance in recruitment. Juniors....maybe, if they have great grades.
Members are initiated at the usual time, so you're not a pledge the entire time, but it's true you don't have upperclassmen around who know how things are done.

By: True
#5  by: just saying   

SDT use to participate in formal recruitment at UA at least up until the mid 80s...

By: just saying
by: SDTFeb 11, 2015 11:20:16 PM

Did formal up until they lost their house, about 10 years ago.

By: SDT
by: honestlyFeb 13, 2015 7:22:29 AM

the way they do it is best for them. sdt at texas is kind of like the chapter here. they participated in formal recruitment for the first time last year and it was a disaster.

By: honestly

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.