facebook

rush as a grad/law-student??

by:    

I was wondering is it possible to rush as a law student (although I'm sure my options would be limited)? I talked with someone at greek affairs and she was kinda positive that I'd be able to do COB it would just depend on the sororities and their policies about PNMs but she wasn't sure about formal rush. I know it's a little weird for someone to consider rush after graduating but as a African a American girl I was a little nervous about participating as well as trying to get into Alabama law ( I'm in btw)! I'm definitely attractive, involved, great academics and brains (obviously) and I'm very fun and chill. There are a few sororities that I've met girls from who are really sweet but I would love to get a view of of them! Just wanted to get some feedback and honesty!! Thanks

Posted By: OliviaPope
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

Most sororities only accept undergraduate women, but you're welcome to sign up and try..

By: What?

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: OliviaPope   

Ok awesome. Thanks for the feedback & honesty.

By: OliviaPope
#2by:    

I believe Phi Sigma Sigma, Alpha Xi Delta, Alpha Sigma Alpha, and Delta Gamma might be the only sororities that allow grad students to rush and become active sisters. They're the only ones I know of at least. Of those, only Delta Gamma is on this campus.

It is also important to keep in mind that, even if an organization no problems with grad students joining college chapters, this does not mean that that organization would be a good fit for you or that they would want to give you a bid. I'm sure you're a great person, but that's always a good bit of realism to keep in mind.

By: hi

Yeah that's definitely true! That's why I was hoping to go through recruitment to see if any of them were a good fit, whether the active sisters and my potential pledge class would welcome me in with open arms regardless of my age and status as a grad/law student. I always regret not really enjoying my undergrad years and making those life long bonds which is why I guess I'm hoping to successfully go through rush if possible. But I definitely see that realistically it will be difficult and tricky truly finding an organization that will love me and that I will love as well

#3by:    

I think you should look into SDT as long as they take grad students...they're the most inclusive and diverse group on this campus anyway. I just looked at their national bylaws and it says:

"SECTION 1 - DEFINITION: A chapter shall consist of the undergraduate and
graduate students and faculty members regularly admitted to membership in the
chapter and in attendance at the college or university where the chapter is
located. All undergraduates or graduates in good standing from other chapters
may be admitted to membership as provided in ARTICLE II, SECTION 4, of the
Rules, Regulations & Procedures."

So maybe they do take graduate students?

By: umm
by: umm   

oh wait that might not be sigma delta tau sorority. Sorrrry about that.

HONESTLY I'd contact national HQ for all groups on campus and ask what their policy is on extending bids to graduate students. And if it doesn't work out I'm sorry.

By: umm
#4by:    

Many moons ago, I emailed the HQs of the NPC groups and asked them if they allowed grad students to join. Only about half responded. The results were surprising, as I wasn't expecting this many groups to say that they allow it. The following groups all said that they allow grad students to join:

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Xi Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Phi Mu
Phi Sigma Sigma
Sigma Kappa
Theta Phi Alpha

Other groups may allow it as well, but I never heard back from them, so I obviously didn't list them.

By: from greekchat
by: Guest   

I am in one of these sororities and I can tell you that we do not allow graduate students. One can be initiated into my sorority after they have graduated through an Alumnae chapter, however, usually in order to do this, you have to have had some kind of affiliation to us in the past. For example, you pledged us while you were an undergraduate student and dropped or transferred due to personal/financial reasons. So this list is not entirely correct and should be looked at further.

I'm sorry that you did not get the chance to go through recruitment when you were younger because of something as silly as race. Truly, I am sorry. I think it would be amazing if you could find a chapter that you fit into, it will just take research on your part. Also remember that you will be initiated with 18 year olds; that will be your pledge class with whom you are supposed to be the closest with. Is it okay with you that you'll be on different levels of life? Do you think they have something to offer you? Do you think it'll be a good fit for you? If so, I encourage you to try. But these are things you should really think about.

By: Guest
#5by:    

Thanks to the last person who commented. Yeah it sucks that something like that kinda held me back from it and hopefully I can find a good fit somewhere. If not, life goes on lol

#6by:    

If none of the sororities at UA allow grad students to join or you find that it's not a good fit, I definitely suggest looking for other organizations to get involved, as you seem like you'd be a great member of any organization! Good luck!

By: options

Thanks! Hopefully so!

Thanks! Hopefully so!

#7by:    

but are you only looking at panhellenic sororities? national panhellenic council aka historically african american sororities are also sisterhood organizations that are much more forgiving in terms of age

By: no offense

Oh no I'm definitely not limiting myself to only Panhellenic sororities but I am open to trying something different. Since I have a degree, with NPHC sororities I could only join a grad chapter and I've tried contacting local chapters but have not received any responses from anyone. I would want to attend some functions to determine what exactly joining a NPHC grad chapter entails but haven't received any responses

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.