facebook

recs

by:    

Do recs play a huge part on getting into the sorority you want?

Posted By: Mal
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

very important.

By: girl

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#2by:    

They are ESSENTIAL

By: ya
#3by:    

Girls will go on and on talking about recs and gpa but who you know/where you're from and how well you connect with the girls rushing you is way more important. I know tons of girls who had 3.5+ gpas and recs for every house and still experienced severe cuts during rush, and I also know lots of girls who got their top choice house with no recs. Obviously recs can only help you so it doesn't hurt to get them, but I personally think they are way over emphasized because girls who get cut from houses they loved like to blame not having a rec rather than accepting that it just wasn't the right house for them. Recs will get you briefly looked at before rush actually starts in August, but that's about it.

By: active
by: Mebbe   

I agree...up to a point. If it's between a girl with no recs and one with...and everything else being equal...the sorority will rank the one WITH recs higher on their bid list.

Plus...girls sometimes THINK they have no recs, but an alum in their hometown may have indeed sent one. Perhaps she sent it on her own, or perhaps the sorority sought it out from their alumnae in that town. No one will tell you that you DID have a rec. You may find out after you pledged. You may not find out.

Nothing makes me madder than a girl from a big town - especially a place where we have lots of alumnae - who has no rec. That tells me she just didn't make the effort. If she won't put in some effort to find a rec, I won't put in the effort to invite her back.

By: Mebbe
#4by:    

I didn't have a single Rec because I'm from a small town where Greek life isn't anywhere around and no one leaves really, and I got into a "top tier" house that was my first choice. I'm sure some houses dropped me, but honestly I knew from day 2 where I had found my home. So try your best to get them, but don't sweat it if you can't. You'll find your home.

By: Guest
#5by:    

Personally, I would NEVER go through rush without recs! Maybe it's just where I grew up ... but I would never do it. I only had one for a few sororities and I was nervous about that. With the competition so fierce, why give them a reason to cut you if it comes between you and a girl that has recs?!?

By: Never
#6by:    

Dammit! Get your recs! YES, you DO need them!
Now, we realize that some girls simply won't be able to find recs for every group. But do your damnedest to get them!

By: Mebbe
#7by:    

Like an above commenter said, it REALLY depends upon who you are. If you're gorgeous and have a great personality, you could probably walk through rush on a breeze with minimal recs because you're a hot commodity; chapters want you. However, for other girls, recs are more important- although for some chapters it really doesn't matter. It's unfortunate that it has to be this way, but recs won't help you if you're not cute, or if you're shy in social situations.

By: ok
#8by:    

I only had recs for one house. The rest I did not have any at all. I'm from Tennessee, but all three of my roommates were from Alabama and freaked out when I told them I didn't have any. Now, looking back, I was really really lucky that I got a bid to the house that I did because we are super picky about recs, and I'm sure a lot of other houses are also. Only two girls, including me, in my PC got in without a rec (and someone did write us a rec the night before bid day because it's a chapter rule). Get your recs if you can, but know that someone will still take you and you can still have a really great rush even if you don't have any. Just really try your best.

By: Active.

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.