facebook

legacy question...

by:    

My sister is a Pi Phi at a different University, not Alabama... I got accepted to Alabama for next year and I really want to be greek. I'm from out of state and know that I can get into other schools' greek programs that are closer to home. My biggest drawback about going to UA is theres a chance I won't get into a sorority... I've read a lot about UA's greek life & how crazy competitive it is. So... My question is, do i have a chance of getting in a sorority at Bama even with my legacy?? Thank you!

Posted By: Advice
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

Theres a really large number of out of state students and a lot of them are in sororities! Pi Phi at Alabama is an awesome house so mentioning your sister could definitely help!

By: UA
by: Advice   

How do the recommendation letters work? Also, is it as hard getting a bid at UA as ppl make it out to be?

By: Advice
#2by:    

no, you probably won't get in. being a legacy means very little. our greek system is very competitive so unless you are super hot, been a prom queen and drive a mercedes, don't count on a bid.

By: no never
by: Not true at all   

You will get a bid to a house if you go through all of recruitment and don't quit.

By: Not true at all

Hmm... Thank you for your honest answer. Fortunately, I am financially stable but I'm not sure if being greek at Alabama is for me. Wherever I end up going I want to be greek, so it is a huge factor in where I will go to school. Thanks! :)

by: Guest   

This is so ignorant. I'm not "super hot," I wasn't prom queen, and I don't drive a Mercedes and I got a bid to a house that's listed as "top tier" here.

By: Guest
#3by:    

If you have good grades ( above a 3.0 ), involved at your school, have a good reputation, and aren't socially awkward you will get into a sorority. Don't set your sites on one house. No matter what people say, all houses at Bama are good. Keep your social media clean and get recommendations to all houses.

By: not true

How do you get rec's if you dont know anyone... I'm from out of state (chicago) ... Do I have a better chance of getting in one w/ legacy over someone w/o legacy? Thanks!

Thank you for your answer! Best one yet. :)

#4by:    

Over 90 percent of this fall's PNMs received bids and plenty are from out-of-state. People from all over the country pledge here, but don't take my word for it. The list of new pledges and their towns are public and here is the one from 2013. uanews.ua.edu/2003/08/ua-sorority-pledges-announced-7/ (Not sure why 2014's isn't coming up.) The answer you got from #3 is right and definitely keep an open mind. Also, tons of legacies come through every year and there's no way sororities can take all of them, so don't count on it as being a huge help.

You've got to get recs, so start asking every woman you know who went to a 4-year school if she has a sorority affiliation. She does NOT have to be from the chapter at Alabama. Teachers are a good place to start. but ask ladies you know from your church, neighborhood, your parents' friends and co-workers, anyone. You might be surprised. You can also contact alumnae associations. All sororities have them and you should be able to find them in the Chicago area. Google them or go to the sororities national websites. Good luck!

By: Yes
by: Thank you!    

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your honest answer, it helps me a lot. How many recs does the average pledge have?

By: Thank you!
#5by:    

Don't wait until the last minute to start asking people about recs. If the alumnae don't know you personally, some might want to communicate with you a little before giving one. My mom is really involved with and alumnae group, so that's how I know. She does a lot of recs, and this year did some for the daughters of friends or sorority sisters who came to Alabama from New York, , Maryland and Pennsylvania. They pledged DDD, Pi Phi, AGD. It is really competitive here and cuts can be severe, but most girls pledge. The ones who don't usually drop out on their own. There are some who get released by all sororities, and it did happen to a friend of mine, but the percentage is really low.

By: ....
by: Thank you!    

Thank you for your honest advice. I thought the recs had to be from someone that went to Alabama & was in the chapter. :) I know a few teachers and friends that are in sororities that would be willing to do it. How many recs do most girls have at UA?

By: Thank you!
#6by:    

You should get at least 1 for each chapter at Alabama.

By: bama girl
by: !    

Thank you!

By: !
#7by:    

Also even though your sister is a Pi phi that doesn't mean your a legacy it has to be your mom or grandma or great grandma. And being a legacy you are considered more than others but if you don't have the right personality, looks, or grades they will cut you.

By: True
by: not true   

You are a legacy if your sister is a member but above is right that does not guarantee you a bid.

By: not true
by: ...   

Thanks

By: ...
#8by:    

You need to be open to all the houses. Not just Pi Phi.

By: my opinion
#9by:    

There are an INSANE amount of sorority alumnae in Chicago. Do a google search for Chicago Alumnae Panhellenic and/or Alumnae Panhellenic in the suburbs. You will be able to get recs. Ideally, recs from people who know you and/or went to Alabama (but they do not have to be from the Alabama chapters).
Make sure your gpa and activities are good, keep social media clean, be presentable, and keep an open mind, and you should end up with an org on Bid Day. Good luck.

By: ChiTown
by: !   

Thank you! Very helpful. :)

By: !
#10by:    

There is the option of leaving your legacy status off of your rush application. That's what I did. A lot of times, houses will automatically assume that you are just going to go with your legacy, and if that's the case, they won't waste the spot on you.

I didn't put my legacy on the application because I wanted to go into it with an open mind, and I am happy that I did because I was not a fan of my legacy house and I got to start my own legacy. :)

If you have over a 3.0, are active in your community/school, and can hold a conversation, you'll likely get a bid somewhere. I have a few girls in my class from chicago, though it's funny you're from there because Pi Phi has A LOT of girls from there haha.

By: AXO Active

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: Thnx!   

Really? Haha thats great. Thanks for your advice!

By: Thnx!

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.