facebook

gpa struggles

by:    

Okay so I'm just gonna say it straight. I have a 2.5 as of now and I've wanted to go to alabama partially for its greek life for so long. I plan on doing well this year and keeping my grades up but will I get cut from having a 2.8 or 2.9 if I don't bring it all the way up to a 3.0? Is there any way I can stand out otherwise? I'm a social person, from below the mason Dixon line and am capable of getting recs. Would standing out with looks, personality and on paper outweigh my stupid freshman year grades that are holding me back?

Posted By: Graderisk
Page 1 of 2
#1by:    

you sound perfect for Chi O!!!

By: to graderisk

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#2by:    

You'll probably be fine, they pay most attention to looks anyway. But you may want to find the grade report from the spring and eliminate the top five or six chapters and see how you feel then.

By: Really though
#3by:    

No you will not be okay unless you have lots of connections. Very few houses (APhi, zta) will openly take grade risks with no problem, but I know for my house and most others, our computer system will always automatically cut anyone below a 3.0. Maybe try to take a class at your local community college this summer and transfer that to UA so that would be the gpa we would see. The thing is that we want girls that are going to make above a 3.0 in college and if you can't even do that in high school you more than likely aren't going to do that in college. If you have some connections and friends in houses, you could have a better chance because girls can speak for you, but even that might not get you very far.

By: No
by: No    

And as for looks, pretty much everyone is pretty and put together so that is not going to help you. Being average looking with amazing grades is better than being beautiful and stupid.

by: graderisk   

would having to take extra summer classes at community college give me less of a chance? does bama offer summer classes?

By: graderisk
by: No    

No one will look down on your for taking college classes over the summer. You could enroll at UA early, but lots of people come in with college credit before school starts, myself included.

#4by:    

No. I'm an Alpha Chi, so I know we have a really strict grade policy and rarely take girls with under a 3.5, but I have friends in other houses who cap off at 3.0 minimum. Alpha Phi is known for taking grade risks, and they're still a GREAT sorority, but most houses will cut you for not having a 3.0. :/ Just work really hard and try to get it to a 3.0! I'm sure you can do it! :)

By: Active
by: graderisk   

thanks for the encouragement! i'll definitely be working hard!

By: graderisk
by: what!!?    

Alpha Chi does too take less than 3.5 gpa, I know they took a girl with just barely a 3.0. And it is "who you know" as she knew lots of Alpha Chis.. So unless you know older girls in other sororities, get your grades up. But I wouldn't worry too much as many of the houses will take grade risk for great girls who are great additions.

By: what!!?
#5by:    

I know you really want to be greek, do try really hard to get your grades up and secure not just recs, but ones of significance. Houses are different, but sometimes if you have a rec from a member of the organization that is from an Alabama chapter or served as a higher up position for the sorority, it can pull a little more weight.... Maybe not a ton, but having connections along with that will help. Also keep in mind if you are going to do summer classes, you need 12 credit hours for panhellenic to count your new GPA as your official GPA. I know it is a lot, but I was not greek my freshman year... I waited till sophomore year, which honestly is not bad at all. If it means you can get your grades up and get it close friends with girls of the houses you actually want, they can vouch for you. Just an idea, but it is possible to be able to this coming year. Just remember everything.

By: Also...
#6by:    

I'm in the same situation as you! I really am trying so hard for next year and I know i wont get a 3.0 but I'm involved in a sport and clubs. And I'm also going to get plenty of letter of recs to help out my situation. I already have a few picked out in my head after visiting and meeting girls on campus (my sister is currently a junior) and i am so terrified that i won't get put in a sorority!

By: same boat
by: Graderisk   

So glad I'm not alone!!! Gpa's can't define us!

By: Graderisk
by: Sorry   

Extra recs won't help you. If you don't have the minimum grades, most won't consider you. The sister in house MIGHT help, but if your grade is too low, even she can't get you in.
The thing is, panhellenic will tell you a minimum 3.0 is required, but some houses have an even higher floor - 3.3, 3.5. They may not publish that. So if you're going to "have a few picked out," forget that. You'll be lucky to be invited back to 3 or 4 sororities, and even then you may not get invited back again.

So if you DO get invited back to second or third round, don't be all snooty and think those groups are below you. They already have women who can eat your lunch and sc-re-w your boyfriend grade-wise AND looks-wise. They don't need you.

My advice is to drop a couple of clubs and use that time to do some extra studying. Because you'll never survive college, much less rush, with that kind of attitude.

By: Sorry
#7by:    

2.5? Unless you're the President's daughter or Miss America, you WILL be dropped. Summer courses won't help. Most sororities don't consider those.
Tough, but you had 4 years to bring it up. College courses will be WAY harder than high school. I suggest you pledge the Alpha Gamma Lambda- Amelia Gorgas Library.

By: S. Flake
by: Wow   

SO rude. She's genuinely curious. Get out please.

By: Wow
#8by:    

you might be ok but expect a max of 5 houses to invite you back after first round. you would be lucky to end up in ANY house

By: maybe
#9by:    

I know girls who got into Alpha Phi with 2.6, 2.7 gpa. also, 2.9 gpa KD.

By: really
#10by:    

These girls are trying hard and trying to get real advice, not insulted. They're genuinely curious. For these girls shutting them down about academics, learn correct spelling and grammar first. They just want a little encouragement and their questions answered is all. And it is possible to get your GPA up by the end of senior year to a 3.0. Just work really hard!

By: wow
by: Thanks!   

Thank you! Do they look at test scores too? Just curious.

By: Thanks!
by: what   

no they don't look at test scores... lol wtf

By: what

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.