facebook

help

by:    

Can someone please explain to me Old Row and New Row. I'm not from Alabama, but the school is in my top 3 and Greek life is super important to me. So can someone explain all of this, pretty please!

Posted By: Out of State
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

Its a way for some Grrek organizations to feel superior to others.
IT really means nothing

By: Nothing
by: hm   

wonder if this is someone from new row or old row...

By: hm
#2by:    

Group of fraternities and sororities that are sponsored by Budweiser

By: Group
by: Really    

Seriously?

By: Really
by: Ok   

Some GLO aren't allowed to be sponsored by alcoholic beverage cos.

By: Ok
#3by:    

Old Row started out as a way to distinguish the top fraternities from the rest of the pack by physical location (University Boulevard vs. Jefferson Avenue). Today, as stated above, it refers to a self-styled elite group of fraternities and sororities who are sponsored by Budweiser and throw a big party every year.

The actual equivalent of Old Row for the girls is First Circle -- Alpha Gam, Tri Delt, and KD. Those three were the first to build houses on Bama's original sorority row (Sorority Circle). They get together and throw a First Circle super-party every other year.

By: @OP

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: More details   

Location was an issue until Most of the big national fraternites rebuilt there houses on the other side of University looking even bigger and better then the original old row.

The university tells the houses where to go now since they don't own the land, so that idea got smashed!

Then as in most college campuses, new members have little to no supervision and they get the sorority and fraternity in trouble for drinking. So in the 80's most of your larger national houses stopped allowing the alcohol companies from sponsoring events do to lawsuits.

Today only the smaller national houses allow there members to be associated with alcohol on a public level. Some think that is important.\n\n\n\n\n

By: More details

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.