facebook

what to do?

by:    

I was dropped twice. Once freshman year, once sophomore year. I joined 8 on campus organizations last year and still felt like something was missing. So I decided to go greek. I have a clean rep and I made a 3.2 in college. I am also an ex-pageant queen and active in my church. I really desperately want to be in a sorority still, as it is something I dreamed of for a very long time. Is it worth it to rush as a junior or to do spring rush? I'm frustrated because I felt like I was well qualified and knew girls in the houses. I want to be greek so badly and it really hurts to be told I am not good enough TWICE.

Posted By: Frustrated
Page 2 of 3
#11by:    

Lose some weight

By: Bamajack
by: Ummm   

She's a pageant queen. I don't think looks were an issue

By: Ummm
by: Candace   

Lots of pageant girls are uggs. This girl seems rude and stuck up.

By: Candace
by: @Candace   

The good thing about Bama panhellenic houses is that there are all types of ladies in our houses. It's too bad that you feel so entitled to criticize pnms for their outward looks and also their character based on comments on an anonymous website.

By: @Candace
#12by:    

Do not pay attention to anyone that is trying to drag you down. As you can tell this site is full of hate and cruelty. It is what some people have to do in their lives to feel better about themselves. The meanness has nothing to do with you and everything about now they feel inside. There will be another COB in the spring. Work on getting your grades up. Don't let anyone tell you what you can't do in life. EVER.

By: Don't
by: LOL   

Oh yeah, fourth time will be the charm I'm sure! You're delusional if you think someone who presents herself as so perfect could have slipped between the cracks three different times.

By: LOL
by: well   

It is possible that her resume was disorganized,that she was nervous during rush so she didn't talk or talked too much, maybe she was cut for grades, was paired with an active who wasn't the right personality, or didn't have the right connections. It happens. She's probably really upset and defensive, rightfully so.

By: well
by: @well   

I'm sure she was paired an active with the wrong kind of personality at every single house. every single one of the three times she rushed. she's had three chances and no one has wanted her, there is something else going on. just sayin'

By: @well
by: Possible   

It is possible that it was a combination of those things.Her resume may have not emphasized the right areas. Maybe houses did not know how involved she was. Her GPA is in the low 3s so grade cuts are also possible. She also said she's rushed twice and did spring where she didn't set her final preferences

By: Possible
#13by:    

Ing a little sis for you fav frat. Some houses have their own group sisters and it canbe like a club with in the Greek community.

By: Have you triedbe
by: Ughh   

Clearly you don't go to Bama. That doesn't really happen here. Also she really doesn't seem like the type who has a favorite fraternity or who hangs out a fraternity houses too often if she's interested in ADX

By: Ughh
#14by:    

I would suggest getting to know some girls in a house that might end up doing COB activities later during the year. Surely there are girls in sororities in your classes and in activities you participate in. Make contact with some of them and tell them you're interested. Good luck!

By: @frustrated
#15by:    

Please stop giving this girl hope. Her being Greek is NOT going to happen. Yes that's blunt and harsh, but it's also the absolute truth.

By: Stop

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: Shut up   

Please. This girl obviously fell through the cracks. Maybe her personality doesn't shine in recruitment events. If she does do COB in the spring I would be really excited to have her in my house. Also, she clearly seems like a member who would live and breathe her sorority which I would rather have than a member who never shows up or drops

By: Shut up
by: @shut up   

Really? You don't even know this chick. I refuse tI believe someone who says she's so perfect fell between the cracks THREE times!

It's over. None of the real sororities want you.

By: @shut up
by: Nope   

1. She's gone through rush twice and been dropped both times.
2. Apparently her grades were poor enough the first time that grades were an obvious reason for being dropped. By the time you've got 45 hours, it's really, really hard to pull them up much further.
3. A junior would have to have stupendous grades, a state beauty title or some HUGE activities - Crimson Cabaret, Crimson Girl, something of that level - to be considered. And really, it would be better if you're a transfer and have never been to UA before.

I'm thinking despite what the OP, she only wants one of the top 6 sororities and is turning up her nose at anything else.

Listen, the experiences you have in a sorority are not that different no matter what tier group invites you to join. Including, believe it or not, SDT. Get off your high horse and be GRATEFUL that SDT might consider you...because with you're attitude, they may very well not.

And I'm betting your attitude by now is famous on campus.

By: Nope
#16by:    

...you folks in Alexandria must have a lot of time on your hands...to be trolling idiots on this site...grow up already...

By: Jessies Mom redux
#17by:    

Don't listen to anyone, spend your whole sophomore year dedicated to doing everything you can to get into a house. Make friends with sisters, Facebook them, add them on Twitter and Instagram. Make sure you let them know that you're also super interested in COB.

When you don't get a COB, don't give up! Spend the money on registration, outfits etc... Spend hours getting recs lined up and turned in.

When you again get released from formal recruitment, bless your heart you can go to the top of my post and re-read it changing sophomore to junior.

By: Do it
by: ^LOL   

Sounds like her plan right there.

By: ^LOL
#18by:    

but i think i know who you are and you were blackballed.

By: hate to say it
#19by:    

For what reason?

By: Why

Sororities don't blackball.

Vee haf other methods.

by: Actually    

Actually yes we do blackball. You better believe that if we know something awful about you, we are going to let our friends in other houses know. I'm sure if this girl is as "well qualified" as she says she is then it is a reputation issue.

By: Actually
by: Dowhut   

"Actually," I don't think you understand what the term "blackball" means. It's when a candidate must get a positive vote from EVERY member. One member voting no is blackballing.
For whatever reason, all the sororities released her.
Are you familiar with the term "once cut, always cut"?

By: Dowhut
#20by:    

I'm the orginial poster and I actually haven't responded to any post except for the one about Sigma Kappa and SDT. I came here seeking honest advice because I had wanted to be greek for a very long time and I honestly did not know what to do. It's hurtful to know out there that someone was pretending to be me on this website and saying things that just aren't true. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I will not be greek here and it's really hard for me to deal with and quite heartbreaking. If I was blackballed then so be it, obviously it wasn't in the cards for me. Additionally, I would not want to be a member of organizations that would purposely exclude someone and cause someone to go through the pain that I have these past years. Although, I love Alabama, it obviously looks like this isn't the place for me and I will be transferring.

By: OP
by: Active   

I didn't rush till my junior year of college. I had an awesome time at Alabama when I was in a sorority. Stop wasting your time sitting around and wishing you were in a sorority and go out and make real friends. I sincerely mean this in the nicest way possible, but, girl, you need a wake up call. There's a lot more to life than being in a sorority and there are a lot if things to do at UA other than be in a sorority. Dont transfer just because you didn't get into a sorority, that's just pathetic.

By: Active
by: not mean   

You've had tons of supportive messages on this thread whether you commented or not, they were directed to the original poster. You are responsible for your own happiness, so either take the advice offered or transfer. No anonymous site can give you more help than this and no member is going to reveal what happened when your name was discussed in membership selection -- it's private. So no, no one is going to say you were backballed even if sororities did that.

By: not mean
by: Dowhut   

The person claiming to be the OP stated "I would not want to be a member of organizations that would purposely exclude someone"
Sweetie, that is the very nature of recruitment!
If everybody could join any sorority they wanted to join, then six or 7 sororities at UA would have 99% of the members.
This is not going to happen, and you're going to have to accept it. 70%of UA students are NOT Greek. That's a lot of people to meet and friends to make. Go do it, or you will REALLY REGRET your college years, and that would be a da!mn shame.

By: Dowhut
by: OP   

I joined numerous organizations last year, became super involved on campus and met lots of people but I still felt like something was missing. It's easy to say that there are things out side Greek life when you haven't been flat out rejected twice. I know not everyone can get a bid and recruitment is exclusionary by nature but the amount of pain that I have experienced as a result is something I would never want any one else to go through. I couldn't live with my self knowing that I was part of the reason someone was crying them self to sleep every night. Being told twice that you are unwanted, un liked, and not enough is the hardest thing in the world. There's just too much pain and anxiety associated with the rejection I experienced at Alabama, that it's hard for me to truly enjoy the experience. It breaks my heart that I have to leave because I love Alabama so much, but I know I won't be truly happy here

By: OP
by: Frustrated   

I joined numerous organizations last year, became super involved on campus and met lots of people but I still felt like something was missing. It's easy to say that there are things out side Greek life when you haven't been flat out rejected twice. I know not everyone can get a bid and recruitment is exclusionary by nature but the amount of pain that I have experienced as a result is something I would never want any one else to go through. I couldn't live with my self knowing that I was part of the reason someone was crying them self to sleep every night. Being told twice that you are unwanted, un liked, and not enough is the hardest thing in the world. There's just too much pain and anxiety associated with the rejection I experienced at Alabama, that it's hard for me to truly enjoy the experience. It breaks my heart that I have to leave because I love Alabama so much, but I know I won't be truly happy here

By: Frustrated
by: ....   

By: ....

I joined numerous organizations last year, became super involved on campus and met lots of people but I still felt like something was missing. It's easy to say that there are things out side Greek life when you haven't been flat out rejected twice. I know not everyone can get a bid but the amount of pain that I have experienced as a result is something I would never want any one else to go through. I couldn't live with my self knowing that I was part of the reason someone was crying them self to sleep every night. Being told twice that you are unwanted, un liked, and not enough is the hardest thing in the world. There's just too much pain and anxiety associated with Alabama, that it's hard for me to truly enjoy the experience. It breaks my heart that I have to leave because I love Alabama so much, but I know I won't be truly happy here

I joined numerous organizations last year, became super involved on campus and met lots of people but I still felt like something was missing. It's easy to say that there are things out side Greek life when you haven't been flat out rejected twice. I know not everyone can get a bid but the amount of pain that I have experienced as a result is something I would never want any one else to go through. I couldn't live with my self knowing that I was part of the reason someone was crying them self to sleep every night. Being told twice that you are unwanted, un liked, and not enough is the hardest thing in the world. There's just too much pain and anxiety associated with Alabama, that it's hard for me to truly enjoy the experience. It breaks my heart that I have to leave because I love Alabama so much, but I know I won't be truly happy here

by: flameandblue   

It isn't too late to try ADX if you are still interested. I know I'm a little late to this post, but hopefully you will still see this. Our rush week starts next week. The first day is Tuesday at 7pm in the Ferg room 313. We would love to have you. And regardless of belief the religious aspect actually isn't a HUGE part. It's mostly swaps and sister fun nights and things of that nature.

By: flameandblue

It isn't too late to try ADX if you are still interested. I know I'm a little late to this post, but hopefully you will still see this. Our rush week starts next week. The first day is Tuesday at 7pm in the Ferg room 313. We would love to have you. And regardless of belief the religious aspect actually isn't a HUGE part. It's mostly swaps and sister fun nights and things of that nature.

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.