facebook

expansion

by:    

Is Alabama open for sorority expansion? With quota being so high and chapter members up in the 400+ range, they need a new group. They need another big national group. Who do you suggest?

Posted By: Question
Page 2 of 2
#11by:    

Both AXiD and Sigma Kappa have their hands full with recolonizations over the next couple of years, I wish that SDT could become more competitive. They're our only NPC that struggles with numbers, and I'd really like to see them thrive.

By: Since
#12by:    

Add at least one new group to replace Chi O when they get kicked off campus after the multiple duckups this year

By: Dear Question
by: Oh?   

"duckups?"
Hilarious.

By: Oh?
#13by:    

I think it's creepy that "The Machine" tells girls what to do, and they/we do it. If you go against "The Machine," you are blackballed from your sorority. Honestly, Independents, here's your cue, could dominate this small minority called "The Machine".

By: Just like you
by: Oh?   

So could the sororities, if they would band together. There are WAY more sorority members than fraternity members. Sororities could form their own Machine and dominate campus politics.

By: Oh?
#14by:    

I think that along with colonizing a new chapter, such as sigma kappa, Panhellenic should work to have SDT operate like a normal sorority. If SDT could put themselves through formal recruitment and soon thereafter get a house on the row (Possibly the old ADPi house) then they could continue to grow like the other new houses have.

By: SDT
by: Gypsy   

Panhellenic - all the sororities - SHOULD support SDT. I have seen other campuses where sororities cooperate and help a weak chapter.

But that's not Alabama tradition. Our tradition is to attack the weakest member. Sad. Because SDT is a wonderful sorority, and the Alabama chapter is one of its oldest chapters.

By: Gypsy
by: well   

The problem is that SDT at Texas, which is just as steeped in sorority tradition as Bama, participated in formal recruitment last year and this year and the backlash was enormous. The chapter functioned fine outside the formal recruitment setting just like the chapter here, but they got destroyed in formal recruitment because they were far smaller, had no house, and offered a very different experience from what the vast majority of girls were looking for. I can't see SDT nationals wanting the chapter here to do that when it went badly at a similar chapter and school.

By: well
#15by:    

I think SDT should close for like 4 years and then come back and try to recolonize when everyone who is at bama now is gone. They could bring in girls from UGA (where they are actually good) and get them to run recruitment. Hopefully they could possibly take the old ADPi house so they would have housing.

By: UA
by: Numbers   

how many members does SDT have? and what is their average new member class size?

By: Numbers
by: SDT   

Had 41 members in the spring, according to the Greek grade reports. Last year they got 13 new members in fall informal. May not seem like much, but four or five years ago they had right around 10 members. They've been working really hard to improve, but they need to get to a point where they can effectively compete in formal recruitment.

By: SDT
by: Nope.   

They will NEVER close the doors at Bama.

By: Nope.
by: ^   

I don't mean for good. I just think the only way SDT can get rid of the "stigma" of being in SDT is to close for a few years and let all the people who are campus now graduate and then come back and do a full scale recolonization like DG did in 2011. There will be empty houses on sorority row and they could move into one of those immediately. I honestly think that's the only way they will get on the same level as everyone else. They don't have near enough members to formal recruitment unless they brought in girls from another chapter and their house is a major deterrent for many girls since it is so far away from everything. I want to see SDT succeed because it would only help Panhellenic as a whole and would bring down pledge class sizes tremendously, but it almost seems like they aren't even really trying.

By: ^
#16by:    

It's very possible. Been the subject of discussion for the past few years actually.

By: Trena

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.