facebook

expansion

by:    

Is Alabama open for sorority expansion? With quota being so high and chapter members up in the 400+ range, they need a new group. They need another big national group. Who do you suggest?

Posted By: Question
Page 1 of 2
#1by:    

maybe Sigma Kappa, Alpha Xi Delta, and Sigma Sigma Sigma. The remaining are either small nationally or just geared towards specific types of women.

By: my thoughts
#2by:    

Probably going to get a sigma kappa soon. It's a big sorority and the campus used to have one. There just wasn't a demand for it like there is now. I imagine there will be a new sorority or two in the makings over the next few years. I also think the older houses are going to start dropping in popularity and the newer ones will start rising considering how corrupt the older sororities have become.

By: Probably

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: S   

Sigma Kappa would be a great addition. They are doing well at Auburn!

By: S
#3by:    

Back in the fall of 2010, the sororities voted to raise house total. Several houses (AGD, Phi Mu, Chi O, Pi Phi, KKG, and DDD) voted against it, but most sororities vote blindly with Panhellenic exec, so they couldn't get the majority on board. Numbers were already difficult to manage at that point, but greek affairs knows that's Greek Life is a huge draw for the University, and the administration was trying to increase enrollment.

Sororities were lead to believe that house total was temporarily increasing because a plan was in motion to add four sororities to campus (Alpha Phi had already recolonized at this point, and DG was hammering out details). We all know that this increase was not, in fact, temporary because numbers have already increased. The sororities I listed above anticipated this, but no one else figured it out. (KD knew, but the president of Panhellenic was a KD at that time and they didn't want to step on any toes).

Point of the story is that, assuming those plans are still on motion, there is a plan to add 2 more sororities, but Greek Affairs screwed the sororities and left them with far more member than they can manage. Clearly this is a sore spot for me.

By: Involved Grad
by: Heckle   

You forgot the big total increase last fall. The new big houses can't even hold all their members.

By: Heckle
#4by:    

But the problem is that everyone is initially so excited for a new sorority to come on board and help diminish the large size of pledge classes and then once the new house is on campus they do their best to undermine the reputation of those houses just so that there isn't a chance that the "new" house will creep up in the rankings. (Witness the treatment of the four newest sororities -- DG, APhi, Gamma Phi and Theta -- on this site. And some of these houses have been around long enough to have in house mother daughter legacies. The treatment of those houses doesn't even begin to approach how AXiD and SK were treated when they were here.) If Alabama is serious about decreasing the large size of its pledge classes, it needs to get serious about adopting a Panhellenic mindset and celebrating the successes of its newer houses without taking every opportunity to point out the perceived flaws of those houses. Bottom line -- if you don't want to have gigantic pledge classes, you have to make it possible for new houses to succeed and be perceived as desirable.

By: Yes. It is open
by: ^   

This. Totally this. Now those stale old houses are getting a little threatened by the success of the newer ones. When you continue to recruit only Alabama girls when all these top quality girls are coming in from out of state now, you're going to be inbred and not get the best members. Just keep clinging to your old ways and beliefs and be left behind as the world progresses around you. We aren't the same old Alabama. Things are changing. A giant shift is coming. Just wait.

By: ^
by: ^^   

AXiD hasn't even submitted packets to Panhellenic since the school decided to reopen for extension. Word is they'd love to come back but they just don't have the resources to get a recolonization of this scale off the ground. Plus they've got their hands full getting ready to colonize for the first time at South Carolina.

Tri Sigma doesn't have the name recognition in the South. They do have a chapter at Mizzou, but they struggle because -- surprise! -- they're a newer chapter on a campus with a catty Panhellenic that's as steeped in tiers and tradition as Bama.

AEPhi and DPhiE have been here before, but they're small niche groups, along with Phi Sigma Sigma and Theta Phi Alpha. If SDT can barely stay afloat, these four wouldn't fare any better. DPhiE, in fact, presented a year ago but wasn't invited to recolonize.

ASA and AST are just too small and unknown in the South.

Sigma Kappa is probably the best bet at this point. They have a decent (though not strong) presence in the South and a stable chapter at Auburn.

By: ^^
#5by:    

Out-of-state girls don't necessarily know or care that Sorority X is big with, say, vacant society types or that some old bag in Mountain Brook looks down her nose on everyone who isn't in Sorority Y. So you're going to have more and more pretty, talented girls joining those sororities that people from Alabama have been taught to look at with a evil eye.

By: this
by: Absolutely   

As an example, the prettiest girls in the homecoming vote last year weren't the machine orchestrated queen or the honors college candidate who was also from a traditionally "top" house (though both were very active on campus and well-qualified to be on the court) but rather the Gamma Phi president and the Theta Crimsonette.

By: Absolutely
by: haha   

"some old bag in Mountain Brook looks down her nose on everyone who isn't in Sorority Y."

LOVE IT.

By: haha
#6by:    

Sigma kappa should be chartered. Alpha Xi delta is strong but we've already tried to charter them three times so I doubt they would again. Sigma kappa used to be on campus but got kicked off in I think 1995. But I think they'd be best

By: Active
by: SK   

Wasn't shut down by nationals -- they voted to close due to internal issues.

By: SK
#7by:    

AXiD have tried to recharter three times since they left campus, and were unsuccessful each time due to no one wanted to pledge them, so I doubt Alabama would try a fourth time before trying another house.

I think Sigma Kappa would be the best option for Alabama at this point. They left almost 20 years ago due to internal issues, which is something that would easily be prevented now.

I'm torn with my thoughts because on one hand, a sorority with a strong national presence in addition to a strong southern presence would be ideal, but with more than half of girls rushing being out-of-state girls, I almost wonder if it would be a better strategic move for Alabama to charter someone like Tri-Sigma who does have a strong national presence, but a strong presence outside of the South. If that makes any sense?
Regardless, I think Sigma Kappa would be the best bet for the first house.

By: Active
by: Hmm   

Sorry but Tri Sigma isn't strong anywhere. They're mostly at smaller and directional schools, have a much smaller membership and not a lot of resources compared to our other sororities. They struggle at larger schools. SK and AXiD are much stronger although it would take a huge financial commitment from anyone.

By: Hmm
by: Tidbit   

Tri Sig is actually really big at UNC, if that means anything.

By: Tidbit
#8by:    

Well with Gamma Phi getting a class of 176 there is a strong need for expansion. There were far too many hearts broken this year that did not get into a house.

By: Praying 4 you
by: Well   

That's not how recruitment works. More than 90% of women who started recruitment were placed. The ones who "did not get into a house" were almost all women who chose to drop rather than give a chance to the houses they felt (absurdly) were beneath them. Adding new sororities won't do anything for those girls, because they're prideful and wouldn't accept anything but maybe 12 of the chapters. I don't feel bad for them, and our greek system shouldn't revolve around them.

By: Well
by: @Well   

176 girls per class is too many though. There should be more sororities just because the current ones are ridiculously huge.

By: @Well
#9by:    

All this talk about expansion and no one's thought to ask about housing. The only way another colonization will happen is if there is a spot for them to build a house and a vacant house somewhere while the new house is being built.

Once you have land, you need a group with the funds to get a multimillion dollar effort going. This actually has less to do with the National strength of the sorority and more to do with how prosperous their alumni group is in the Alabama area because most of the money, but more importantly support to guide a new chapter will come from the alumni near UA who donate their time or money.

Figure out who has ALL of that and you'll have your next sorority.

By: Seriously
by: Oh?   

Check the expansion plan that you can find through the UA Panhellenic web site. There IS space. There will be an unoccupied house or two to use while they get their building plans ready.

I say Sigma Kappa. Alpha Xi Delta has been burned way too many times on this campus.
SK has a pretty strong Auburn chapter, so there are some alumnae in the state. They should be strong enough nationally to be able to build.

Totally agree on the vicious nature of Alabama's panhellenic community, although, believe it or not, it's way better than it used to be. Dr. Bonner and the administration need to demand a kinder approach, but the sororities need to come together and take over the Machine.

It's all about how the women fear to offend key fraternities...even the racism thing was because they were afraid if they took women of color, the big fraternities would refuse to have swaps.

Ladies, there are WAY MORE SORORITY MEMBERS than fraternity members. Women, not men, need to run the Machine. They can do that by putting up SGA candidates - sorority members - and then refusing to kowtow to the Machine and voting in their candidates.

By: Oh?
#10by:    

Sigma Kappa has two big re-colonizations on the books for the next two years: Oregon and Indiana. I doubt they will be able to handle the commitment it would take to re-colonize at Bama. They have more chapters in the SEC than AXiD and Tri Sigma, but their plate is full right now. SK will probably go back to Kentucky first since they still own the house there. I think SK would do well at Bama, but I think AXiD would too.

By: future

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.