facebook

recs

by:    

I'm going into rush with recommendations for just 3 sororities. Should I focus all of my effort on those sororities and give up on the rest? I know rush at Alabama is competitive and I probably won't have much of a chance without the recs. Also, do I mail an information packet to those sororities for which I do not have a rec or do they use the information I submitted when signing up for recruitment?

Posted By: P.N
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

Why aren't you trying to get recs for the other houses? I think that's the big question here.

By: Why
#2by:    

Why do you only have 3?

By: Huh?
#3by:    

I'm a military daughter and my family is currently stationed out of country. We've tried to get ahold of people to write recs, but there is no alumni association that I could get to help because I'm not in their district. The three that I have come from family friends.

By: P.N
by: ^   

Ask those family friends if they know members of other sororities because more than likely they do! Your choices will be VERY limited if you do not have recs for every house, and I would go as far as to say that over half of the houses will cut you after the first round for not having a rec and just because you have recs for 3 houses does not mean you are guaranteed to get invited back to the next round from those houses. Right now, I would be doing literally EVERYTHING I could to find recs for the other houses.

By: ^
by: K   

Were you ever stationed in the US? If so I'd ask that nearby alum panhellenic to help. If they turn you down that would unpatriotic. Explain your situation and let th know they can interview you via FaceTime or something.

By: K
#4by:    

I only had recs for 5 or 6 houses and I was fine. People act like it's so easy to find them, but it's not if you're not from Alabama and everyone's mom was in a sorority and had kids by the time they were 25. You'll be fine.

By: me
by: My mom   

Is wring almost 30 recs for girls. She is writing some for friends some for relatives, and some for strangers.

She gets requests from Panhellenic all the time. So if those girls find her then it can't be that hard.

By: My mom
by: K   

Maybe you

#5by:    

Maybe you were fine, but a girl without a rec is the easiest to cut. It also effects your overall score/ranking during rush. Think of a rec as a weighted GPA. first day u meet some girls who think if you are just ok and on the cusp of being cut, that extra boost could save you... And the next day u meet an awesome girl/rush group u click with, then you might wind up getting a bid.

by: wellll   

if you're on the cusp of being cut anyway you're probably not going to get into that sorority anyways. recs are retarded. they're bs. they're gonna tell you how great a girl is when they probably hardly know them.

By: wellll
by: Save $$   

Recs are not "retarded," as you say. It's REALLY easy to spot a rec from an alum who doesn't really know you. If we have an alum who knows a girl or her family, it's very evident and we will pay attention to that. "Stranger" recs are tossed into the round file.

Do your best to find at least a few more recs, but if you can't, you can't. Do NOT worry about it. Concentrate on practicing your conversational skills, polish your appearance, and enjoy recruitment. If they want you, they will find a way.

By: Save $$
by: ^lol   

you literally just proved my point. people are telling this girl to go panhellenic for recs yet if she doesn't know them they'll be "tossed." so why waste the time to even bother?? and you also said don't worry, which goes to the original point that recs are literally useless and only snobs take them into true consideration. if you're going to rule out a girl from being a member because she doesn't have a connection to alumni, that is PATHETIC.

By: ^lol
by: Ooga   

welll/^lol - If that's how you view recs, your group isn't doing them right...

By: Ooga
#6by:    

Have your parents make it their facebook status! You'd be surprised how many random people would be willing to write you recs. When in doubt still send in like a resume and headshot so they've at least heard your name. You can leave a little note about why you couldn't obtain a rec. If not sororities still give bids without recs.

By: RushDiva
#7by:    

Some sororities cannot give a bid without a rec as a matter of national policy.

By: Southern
by: ...   

the only one at Bama that straight up says they require one is ChiO

By: ...

DG has the same policy.

by: ^no   

Didn't have a rec and had them til I dropped them after skit.

By: ^no
by: huh?   

DG doesn't have that policy. I got into DG without a rec.

By: huh?
by: Yes   

Delta Gamma requires a rec. If you got in, it means they found an alum to write one for you without your knowledge.

By: Yes
by: Stated    

By a DG....

By: Stated

It is true, DG will find an alum to write you one. Not sure about other houses

by: DG   

No guarantees. If we can't find someone, you'll be gone.

By: DG
#8by:    

A military brat as well and my family has been stationed overseas too. Ask your folks to post a FB status for you, you'd be shocked the amount of people that your parents know that were in houses! That helped me. Additionally, yes send an info packet to houses you cannot find recs for, with an additional letter from you explaining the situation, so they at least understand. Something else you can do is look at the sororities national website and search for alum chapters and get in contact with as many as you can explaining your situation. I didn't have any recs going through and I was fine!

By: I'm
by: Ooga   

Don't send a packet. They can get the same info from your registration. They'll just throw it away.

By: Ooga
#9by:    

if you don't have a rec from alpha chi, check out their "stars & stripes" alumni chapter - its for military personnel, spouses, etc. at home and abroad. i'm sure someone there would love to help support a military daughter.

they have a facebook page with lots of info - search Alpha Chi Omega Stars and Stripes Alumnae Chapter

By: here

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.