facebook

RFM - Or: It's not your fault you got cut!

by: RFM girlie

Every year there are still a bunch of girls that come into rush feeling well prepared. They have good grades, great involvement. They're well dressed, attractive, etc etc etc.

These girls can get very disappointed when they are released by highly desired houses during rush. They may feel discouraged or wonder what they did wrong.

The answer, more than likely, is NOTHING.

Starting about 20 years ago most campuses (including Alabama) adopted a system called Release Figure Methodology (RFM) to revamp the recruitment process. Prior to RFM, chapters on campus could invite as many PNMs as they wanted back to each round with no obligated releases. This led to many PNMs being dropped later in recruitment (or, worst case scenario, left with no bid) as the more popular chapters hosted huge parties each round, and the less popular chapters had fewer PNMs attending throughout.

RFM obligates chapters with the highest PNM interest (think most of OR and Zeta) to release a high number of PNMs immediately. The most popular houses on this campus will release (literally) 70% of PNMs. This is NOT because they do not like the PNM who has come through, or that there was something "wrong" with her. By releasing a high number of PNMs (including girls who previously would have been asked back!) Alabama Panhel can ensure a much greater level of parity throughout recruitment. This helps ALL chapters have a better chance to have awesome PNMs at each and every round - and it's beneficial to the PNMs too.

How so? Prior to RFM, a PNM could be invited back somewhere throughout recruitment even if the house had no intention of providing her a bid. Now, if a PNM gets invited back somewhere, she can feel relatively certain that house is ACTIVELY INTERESSTED IN HER. This becomes more true as the week progresses and houses release more and more.

Additionally, PNMs who maximize their options by ranking 2 houses for pref will get a bid at one of their top two choices - this is a HUGE and important change that RFM ushered in.

From a personal standpoint: by the time sisterhood rolled around, the houses had made their cuts, but I had made some too! I ended up going back to AXO, KKG, DDD from old row and Aphi, PiPhi, DG and ADPi from New row. I was so sad at some of the houses that released me, but looking back, I can see that I got to go to sisterhood at houses that I really loved - and felt really wanted at.

In conclusion - keep an open mind and understand that most of this process is not personal. It's designed to make sure everyone ends up with a bid at a house where they are truly wanted!

Posted By: RFM girlie
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: K?   

Get a life hater. Old stupid mom wrote a book .

By: K?
#2  by: So much better now   

Quota Plus is the best thing that has come out of RFM. PNM's will never have their souls crushed by cross-cutting.

By: So much better now
#3  by: Dumb   

Most girls are selected prior to rush starting

By: Dumb

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.