facebook

Old Row Fraternity rush truth

by:    

Been here for 3 plus years graduating in summer, I see a lot of talk on here recently about “If out of state rush new row”. That’s bs, a ton of out of state guys make up old row fraternities. If you are a decent kid that isn’t some hype beast, you’ll probably get an old row bid; you just need to know an in for a rush event. Try it out don’t loose hope, you can still get an old row bid and you don’t need to be born and raised in the state of Alabama.

Posted By: Senior OR
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

You legit proved the point of not going old row. You need an "in", most guys from out of state don't know too many ppl, let alone someone in an old row frat. If you want to mix with out of state girls, you also mostly need to be at a new row for that. Also, most old row fraternities, while pretty good, aren't exactly miles better and in some ways are worse than new row ones.

By: exactly
#2by:    

u don’t need to be born AND raised but if you’re in an OR frat at Bama u definitely were either a) born in AL, b) raised in AL and/or c) family ties to Bama or AL

so yeah as an oos student trying to pledge OR you literally need OR connections lol. they don’t usually take random guys they think are chill

By: ha
by: Incorrect   

I wasn’t born or raised in Alabama, I do not have family ties to Alabama, and I am in a OR fraternity. You don’t know the demographic that makes up OR fraternities. Your comment is ignorant

By: Incorrect
#3by:    

Pathetic, an “in” is contacting their rush chair, an “in” is knowing a member mutually and talking to him about a rush event, a “in” is knowing your friend is going to an event and him getting you on the rush list. If you kids just don’t have friends and are anti social; go NR, they’ll take you if you walk in through the door of their house

By: Wow yall are
by: Follow up^^   

All “prestigious” country clubs and clubs in general REQUIRE you to know a member to becoming one. That isnt the case with old row, even know you NR dweebs are trying to frame it that way. All it is, is a recruiting process that is asking you to have social skills. If that scares you, see you at Sig Ep or whatever other l0ser NR fraternity

By: Follow up^^
by: okay   

sorry that some people come to bama not knowing anyone, and the rush chairs rarely reply to dm's. Without knowing someone that knows someone, or knowing a person in the frat, it's close to impossible.

By: okay
by: 🤣   

You are real sad, kid. “rUsH cHaIr HaSnT tExTeD mE bAcK, tImE tO rOlL oVeR.” If this is your mentality thank GOD you aren’t in a OR fraternity. I stand by what I said, you need to show grit and a want, you aren’t 12 anymore, you don’t get participation awards. Clubs are exclusive, stand out from the rest in some fashion if you want to be in exclusive club.

By: 🤣
by: The Observer   

This is where the future comes into play as one learns to network. Find out if any family friends were brothers of the fraternity you are seeking to join and see if they know folks connected to the Alabama chapter. One way to find this is to go on social media pages and LinkedIn where many folks might list their fraternity affiliation. Call the national chapter and express your interest and see if they can get you in touch with the right person. Or simply call the house and have a WHY as to why you want to pledge their fraternity and see where that takes you. I knew many Old Row members from out of state who had no hook. I knew one in KA and at the time I was there they would leave you at the door if you were from the wrong zip code in Cullman.

By: The Observer
#4by:    

Yes, you can get a bid to an old row house if you’re not from Alabama, but you better be from the south! It’s almost impossible to get a bid to an old row house and not be from the south.

By: Weq
by: No it’s not   

Roommate is from the western part of the US and is in a OR fraternity. You don’t need to be from the south to get and OR bid

By: No it’s not
#5by:    

Bumppppp

By: Bump
#6by:    

If you are from out of Alabama you have better options. The best NR houses are superior to the best OR houses. Think about it — they pull from a much broader gene pool. Many of the OR houses are full of guys who went to same Alabama high schools. To the OR houses that is more important than your social skills.

By: truth
by: Bro 🤣   

What the heck are you talking about bud? Ignorant comment that doesn’t deserve a response lol.

By: Bro 🤣
by: no   

except that hes right, ask 10 girls if they know a dke VS a theta chi, and you'll get 2 girls saying they know a dke and all 10 saying they know a theta chi. New row is better than old.

By: no
by: Put the pipe down   

You must be a freshman or just extremely ignorant, it depends on the sorority; sig kaps my know more theta chis than dkes but tri delts , kappas, chi os, etc will know the dke more than the theta chi. Your NR delusional takes need a reality check

By: Put the pipe down
by: truth   

Again, only because they all went to high school together. They stay in their Alabama cocoon. The best NR houses have better looking guys, better athletic guys, richer guys, guys with superior social skills, etc., because they have to compete on their qualities to get bids instead of hanging with their high school cliques in their comfort zone. Don’t get me wrong — there are decent guys in the OR houses, they just don’t have as many of them.

#7by:    

the single OOR guy in his OR frat fighting everyone in the comments lol. saying it’s soo easy to pledge but the man jumped thru 5000 hoops to try to get in. he acts like being in an OR fraternity at alabama is THE peak of exclusivity…….. i’m sure they taught u that during pledging but no one on campus cares except for the other ppl in ur bubble.

you can rush a NR frat like pikapp theta chi or sigma chi and still pull both tridelts/phi mu’s AND zta/aphi’s. get the best of both worlds instead of having to be stuck with ugg KDs

By: Nahhh
by: Slow down   

I have been watching and I’m not in new row or old row. Both bring valid points. The old row kid doesn’t only hangout with kds and old row srats but the new row kid doesn’t always get the best of both worlds. If you are in phi psi, you are gonna MOSTLY hangout with g phis and dg’s. If you are a sae you will MOSTLY hangout with a lot of tri delts kappas, phi mus, etc. Also, from what I have heard, it is easier to receive a NR bid then a OR bid, you can be from the south or even Alabama and a old row frat won’t take you

By: Slow down

They won’t take you because you were not already in their Alabama hometown cliques from high school. They get enough guys from their pipelines that there aren’t that many ‘free agent’ spots left.

But, you should understand, their version of exclusivity isn’t a positive, it’s a negative. If you took 250 guys from the top OR and NR houses and did a blind assessment of them, the NR guys would outrank the OR guys more times than not.

by: Imo   

I have met many Alabama boys that went new row and in my opinion they are just nicer , more fun, and better looking. The old row houses - the gene pool is not that strong. I agree nr boys get old row and new row girls while old row boys stick with their high school kappas and kds. I do know some oos boys that went old row but it was more because of their family connections then them wanting them for the actual house

By: Imo
#8by:    

All these clown NR boys. Believe in some mysterious pipeline or why OOS/OOR kids go OR. You just sound bitter not understanding what actually goes on in OR houses. And this ambiguous assessment one of the replies had where you take the top 250 OR/NR kids and how the NR would “outrank” 😂. NR really is some delusionary hellscape where they believe by having rush classes of 60-75 pledges they are somehow superior to OR fraternities. OR fraternities are smaller with higher dues on average.

And so you know, that means exclusivity. Face it, bud

By: 😂

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:

They are being scammed by their alumni who have a financial incentive. As I said earlier, there are some strong OR guys. But, they are strong despite being OR, not because they are OR. The days of OR ‘dominance’ are well past. Face it, if many of these OR boys didn’t have their hometown Alabama connections, they would end up in lower tier houses.

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.