facebook

sorority rankings: membership, grades, philanthropy

by:    

this is a long post so buckle in. i love numbers and have too much time on my hands. its also just for fun so lets not fight ok!

i took the fall gpas of each house:
1. (3.90 - 3.86) AGD
2. (3.85 - 3.81)
3. (3.80 - 3.76) AXO
4. (3.75 - 3.71) XO
5. (3.70 - 3.66)
6. (3.65 - 3.61) PM, KD
7. (3.60 - 3.56) PIPHI
8. (3.55 - 3.51) DDD, ZTA
9. (3.50 - 3.46) ADPI, KKG, DG, DZ
10. (3.45 - 3.41)
11. (3.40 - 3.36) AOPI
12. (3.35 - 3.31)
13. (3.30 - 3.26) KAT, GPHI
14. (3.25 - 3.21)
15. (3.20 - 3.16)
16. (3.15 - 3.11) SK, APHI
They're put in categories rather than just ranked so the spread of data is more telling.

Then I took the members of each house:
1. AXO, DDD, AGD, KD (484 - 474)
2. KKG, ZTA, XO, PM (473 - 463)
3. PIPHI, DZ, AOPI, DG (462 - 452)
4. APHI (451 - 441)
5. GPHI, ADPI (440 - 430)
6. ——— (429 - 419)
7. ———- (418 - 408)
8. KAT (407 - 397)
———————————
22. SK
Honestly I considered whether to include this stat for a while, but then decided to keep it because it kind of shows retention within houses. It does heavily penalise SK but while they have no house it's very hard to get a full pledge class which is important to take into account. A sorority with no house should be ranked lower I think (tho it's through no fault of their own obvi).

Finally, I did philanthropy raised PER MEMBER so SK don't get penalised again for a low membership number.
1. (298 - 279) ZTA
2. (278 - 259)
3. (258 - 239) DDD, PIPHI
4. (238 - 219) KD
5. (218 - 199)
6. (198 - 179) SK
7. (178 - 159) XO
8. (158 - 139) AXO, AGD, PM
9. (138 - 119) DG
10. (118 - 99) ADPI
11. (98 - 79) AOPI, APHI, KAT, KKG
12. (78 - 59)
13. (58 - 39)
14. (38 - 19) DZ
15. (18 -0) GPHI
The philanthropy includes fall and spring semester to be fairer.

Then I averaged the sororities rankings in each category together which gave me:
1. AGD
2. ZTA / KD
3. DDD / AXO
4. PIPHI / XO
5. PM
6. DG
7. KKG
8. ADPI
9. AOPI / DZ
10. APHI
11. KAT
12. GPHI
13. SK

Obviously this isn't meant to be a tier list, it's just fun to look at each sorority statistically. I noted that roughly OR takes the top half and NR takes the bottom half, with some crossover between the two. Will be interesting to see how much SK changes by when they get their own house soon.

Posted By: stats girl
Page 2 of 2
#11by:    

If you are going to include gpa then you need to add a category for recruitment strength since these are social groups and not academic clubs.

At least 25% of any objective ranking should be based on recruitment stats.

By: ummm
#12by:    

So using your numbers but adding a recruitment score and weighting the categories as recruitment = 40%, size = 40%, gpa = 10%, philanthropy = 10% the ranks in tiers are:

(personal preference in each row)

ZTA,DDD,KD,AXO,PM
XO,AGD,KKG,PBP,APhi
DG,AOII,DZ
ADPi,GPhi,KAT
SK

By: Ok
by: Goodness   

Nice try ZTA! Where are the “recruitment scores” coming from?

By: Goodness
by: Truth    

APHI down 2 rows, they’re last for gpa
KKG down a row

By: Truth
by: WTF   

A "recruitment score"? WTF there's no such thing. And "size" has already been shown to mean nothing without retention.
A chapter can have a large total number in fall but then a whole ass 60 members don't come back for spring so they cob another 40 or so for "size". Then in fall they take quota plus and cob some more, so their "size" is just from constant turnover of the membership. The goal is to RETAIN YOUR MEMBERS, not have them flunk out or leave because they don't like you or weren't really serious in the first place.

By: WTF
by: So wrong   

Switch ZTA and KKG. PBP down one. APhi down two.

By: So wrong
by: Confused    

Why wouldn’t all the categories be weighted equally? Why would recruitment (which, btw, can’t be measured) and size be weighted so much more heavily than grades and philanthropy?

By: Confused
by: @Confused   

Because a sorority is nothing without its member retention and recruitment. The entire reason for sororities to exist in the first place is sisterhood. It's a home away from home during college for young women to find a safety net of friendship, support, and encouragement.

That means good retention of the members, who stay in because they are benefitting from the sisterhood and want to give back to it. It also means recruiting enough quality new members to sustain the organization's existence and continue the mission of uplifting women.

A good GPA and commitment to philanthropy are good and right things for a sorority to be working toward, but they are not and never have been academic honor societies or charitable agencies.

So there are major categories and lesser ones.

By: @Confused
#13by:    

How about instead of wasting all this time on ranking just be happy with your house. If you’re rushing in the fall, it’s true that all the houses at Bama are great. Find your people. Go to the house that makes you feel wanted and you will be happy! Pay attention to how the members treat you and stay away from those houses that treat you poorly. Let’s all stop bullying houses for being “too religious”, “too studious”, or “too social”. All of the houses here are fun and so often the houses on here that are ranked “lower” for whatever stupid reason of the day, end up having the best sisterhood. All of the houses have a mix of kind, beautiful, smart, athletic, artsy and amazing girls!

By: Here’s a thought
#14by:    

Look at how Gphi is 2nd to last

By: 👀
#15by:    

Y’all, I gotta give props to AGD and DG. I think both of these houses are underrated on here. AGD gets bashed a lot on here but based on these stats, should be on the top row of OR. DG doesn’t get bashed as much but also I think is getting overlooked . They should be on the top row for NR based off these numbers. Good job ladies! Haters can hate all they want but you can’t dispute facts.

By: Underrated

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#16by:    

True

By: 123

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.