facebook

sorority rankings: membership, grades, philanthropy

by:    

this is a long post so buckle in. i love numbers and have too much time on my hands. its also just for fun so lets not fight ok!

i took the fall gpas of each house:
1. (3.90 - 3.86) AGD
2. (3.85 - 3.81)
3. (3.80 - 3.76) AXO
4. (3.75 - 3.71) XO
5. (3.70 - 3.66)
6. (3.65 - 3.61) PM, KD
7. (3.60 - 3.56) PIPHI
8. (3.55 - 3.51) DDD, ZTA
9. (3.50 - 3.46) ADPI, KKG, DG, DZ
10. (3.45 - 3.41)
11. (3.40 - 3.36) AOPI
12. (3.35 - 3.31)
13. (3.30 - 3.26) KAT, GPHI
14. (3.25 - 3.21)
15. (3.20 - 3.16)
16. (3.15 - 3.11) SK, APHI
They're put in categories rather than just ranked so the spread of data is more telling.

Then I took the members of each house:
1. AXO, DDD, AGD, KD (484 - 474)
2. KKG, ZTA, XO, PM (473 - 463)
3. PIPHI, DZ, AOPI, DG (462 - 452)
4. APHI (451 - 441)
5. GPHI, ADPI (440 - 430)
6. ——— (429 - 419)
7. ———- (418 - 408)
8. KAT (407 - 397)
———————————
22. SK
Honestly I considered whether to include this stat for a while, but then decided to keep it because it kind of shows retention within houses. It does heavily penalise SK but while they have no house it's very hard to get a full pledge class which is important to take into account. A sorority with no house should be ranked lower I think (tho it's through no fault of their own obvi).

Finally, I did philanthropy raised PER MEMBER so SK don't get penalised again for a low membership number.
1. (298 - 279) ZTA
2. (278 - 259)
3. (258 - 239) DDD, PIPHI
4. (238 - 219) KD
5. (218 - 199)
6. (198 - 179) SK
7. (178 - 159) XO
8. (158 - 139) AXO, AGD, PM
9. (138 - 119) DG
10. (118 - 99) ADPI
11. (98 - 79) AOPI, APHI, KAT, KKG
12. (78 - 59)
13. (58 - 39)
14. (38 - 19) DZ
15. (18 -0) GPHI
The philanthropy includes fall and spring semester to be fairer.

Then I averaged the sororities rankings in each category together which gave me:
1. AGD
2. ZTA / KD
3. DDD / AXO
4. PIPHI / XO
5. PM
6. DG
7. KKG
8. ADPI
9. AOPI / DZ
10. APHI
11. KAT
12. GPHI
13. SK

Obviously this isn't meant to be a tier list, it's just fun to look at each sorority statistically. I noted that roughly OR takes the top half and NR takes the bottom half, with some crossover between the two. Will be interesting to see how much SK changes by when they get their own house soon.

Posted By: stats girl
Page 1 of 2
#1by:    

also if anyone has an idea of how to quantitatively add in social status kind of thing that would b great :).

By: stats girl
by: Yes!   

It would be recruitment return rates but those numbers aren’t shared. U could look at who made quota and rank that way. Also maybe social media engagement?

I think the stats are interesting. ZTA is strong and doesn’t get enough credit. Same w AGD. KKG is ranked significantly below other OR houses. DG is higher than I would have guessed. I’ve felt like Gphi pretends they r stronger than they are. This shows they have a lot more work to do since they r 2nd to last

By: Yes!
by: jojo   

for social i would use some combo of ig followers and return rates, but return rates aren’t public info. i do think that ig followers is a pretty good measure to use for popularity

By: jojo
by: whoa hang on   

Your number of members in each house does not account for membership turnover. There is one house in particular that loses a ton of members every year between fall and spring and then Cobs like crazy every spring to try to make it up. That is not retention at all.

By: whoa hang on
by: Girly   

Maybe by the amount of swaps? Meaning frats want to interact with them

By: Girly
#2by:    

Way to go DG!

By: Love!
#3by:    

You left off a very important metric: member retention from fall to spring.

This can easily be determined: Fall Total Members minus Spring Active Members.

The Fall Total shows how many actives came back after summer plus new members they recruited, for total membership. The Spring Active Members shows how many members came back to their chapters after fall semester.

There are always December graduations affecting the Spring Active Members number, and any chapter will graduate more than the others in a given year. So looking at that difference over a 2 or 3 year period will show consistent patterns of chapters that can and can not retain their members.

Retention is an overall indicator of sisterhood, loyalty, enjoyment, and who only used the sorority for one semester for parties, insta and tiktok. And also grades, because you can't be in your sorority after you've flunked out of school.

By: Missing Metric
by: missing    

please post this info

By: missing
by: ^   

It's all on the Greek Scorecard.

By: ^
#4by:    

Phi Mu is a TOP sorority. If not the top sorority at alabama. Phi Mu is a lot higher than 5. Someone obviously has something against that sorority….

By: Me
by: Numbers are hard   

Based on what?

By: Numbers are hard
by: PM   

It’s just your perception.

By: PM
by: What   

They have not been top in at least 5 years

By: What
by: No    

They are a good house definitely but not higher than 5 . I don’t know what it is - mixture of girls now. I was on the same floor with them last year and now next door to a few and I just don’t know. There is something off.

By: No
by: No   

This was literally done by stats and not personal feelings

By: No
#5by:    

love a good statistical analysis. This is interesting & a relatively accurate overall ranking

By: agc
by: wow   

this is interesting - thank you not the same old my sorority is best post

By: wow
#6by:    

This is correct based on numbers. You can’t just say a house is better because you think so. This keeps it objective.

By: Yes
by: bad numbers   

It is not correct because the number of members in each house does not account for drops and cobs between semesters. You can have members drop and then cob to make it up which would show a high number of members, but that's not member retention when there's big turnover.

By: bad numbers
by: Previous answer   

Bad numbers is referring to APhi by the way and for the ppl who are too lazy to check the greek grade reports

By: Previous answer
#7by:    

ok guys so i took what u said about membership retention and used the fall 2022 grade report to look at total members and then active members during spring 2023.

i got this list:
1. (1-5) KD
2. (6-10) AXO
3. (11-15) XO, AGD
4. (15 - 20) PM, ZTA, AOPI, DG
5. (21- 25) KKG, GPHI
6. (26 - 30) DDD, PIPHI
7. (31 - 35)
8. (36 - 40) SK
9. (41 - 45)
10. (46 - 50)
11. (51 - 55)
12. (56 - 60) KAT, APHI
13. (61 - 65) DZ

But I'm thinking it would work better as percentages bc sk losing 40 of their pledge class is a lot more overall than if another sorority had done the same with their class. so i might try and work that out instead. also im only doing over one year to keep it even with what i did for grades and philanthropy.

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: %    

Okay, I get that, so you would show the % retention from fall to spring. For example: fall total at 450, spring active at 350, for a return rate of 78% of chapter. Right?

By: %
by: %    

Meaning, showing retention % rather than loss %...???

By: %
by: Spring to Fall   

Why use only Fall to Spring for a retention calculation?

Spring to Fall is just as valid.

Maybe average them.

And how many years is it rational to go back? Once Fall to Spring for 2023/2024 is posted then it is time to let go of the same period in 2021/2022.

By: Spring to Fall
by: Fall to spring   

Fall to spring retention gives far more insight. When there is a large dip in membership in that time period it is largely from members dropping. December graduates will account for only a small number of any house's loss in that time. When a significant number leaves their sorority between fall and spring it shows issues in the house with sisterhood, leadership, or poor quality of recruiting.

But spring to fall always dips because May is the main graduation month and all houses will lose members and each will have a larger than normal graduating class bubble some years, especially if they took more upperclassmen a few years earlier.

By: Fall to spring
by: nope   

Summer to Fall is an extremely valid measure and is stronger than Fall to Spring.

Everyone knows most seniors graduate in Spring so when a house has a surprising low percentage return in the Fall it says the house overall is weak. Not only have they lost their seniors but they have lost core members needed for formal recruitment.

By: nope
by: No again   

The vast majority of drops happen fall to spring, not spring to fall. That is where the real metric is.

Weaker houses will have large drops from fall to spring and then COB large numbers in spring to make up for it. The COB'b members are in it for fall for tailgates and socials because they missed out the previous year, but more often than not they did not go through formal recruitment the previous fall, or not very far into the process, so aren't the best recruiters, especially at prefs, and don't understand the selection process from having been through it as pnm's. So recruitment for that house is not what it should be. It gets to be a bad cycle if it's not addressed by leadership.

By: No again
#8by:    

also im hearing what you're saying about social media but i feel like tiktok has kinda effed that up and makes it not a true representation of sororities desireability.
if anyone has anymore ideas for some kind of formula to figure it out would be great.

#9by:    

In real life AGD is by FAR the worst Old Row house, so your formula is hilarious.

By: AGD
#10by:    

I think social reputation is important. Not sure how to represent that w numbers. I think that will change some of the order. Looks r important as well. Not sure how to factor that either.

By: U
by: nope   

No, that is not any way to judge a sorority. Sororities are for women and are about sisterhood and lifting each other up. They are not dating services for frat boys or entertainment for the general public.

By: nope
by: Yup   

That’s great that U think that way BUT the reality is that everyone does take looks and social reputation into account when choosing a sorority. The girls do it during recruitment when choosing members and PNMs do it when ranking houses. Of course guys do it too but that does play into a house’s popularity. Looks r important. If u dismiss that fact, u aren’t living in reality of Greek life.

By: Yup
by: But   

Okay but u also need to acknowledge that more goes into sorority ranks than quantitative data. At its core, it’s a social organization and qualitative data is important too. As a social organization, reputation, social engagement and looks are all important as well. This is the reason why, AGD is on top of ur quantitative data but lower on ranks on GR. There is some qualitative data that u r missing. The same for APhi, quantitatively they r low but still popular during recruitment. There is information that u aren’t catching. So ur ranks r skewed just as someone just posting their opinions.

Also, there r ways to rank looks through qualitative data collection.

GR can be used for qualitative data. To a degree they r surveys of how ppl feel about houses.

By: But
by: How?   

How does one rank qualitative data??

By: How?
by: ^ seriously   

Qualitative is not fact, therefore not data, so it can't be ranked. Opinions exist but they aren't true or false, they just are. Facts can be shown to be true or false, but opinions have no place in a ranking based on verifiable, factual data.

You can't quantify a 'vibe' either but each sorority has one and pnm's are often told "trust your gut" because the 'vibe' thing is real.

This thread is about quantifiable facts, not anything else. There is no almighty ranking authority that decides on opinions, they are just there for whoever wants to spout off.

By: ^ seriously

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.