facebook

Saban retiring effects

by:    

Do you think Saban retiring will have an effect on people choosing Alabama? Without football, Alabama isn't really known for anything else besides rush. They do give out amazing scholarships, but tbh if I was a senior right now I don't think I would go to Alabama. For those deciding between Alabama and Auburn. This is your sign to go to Auburn.

Posted By: ball
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

I do. I don't know what the effects will be, but of course. It will affect commits and players first, then prospective students, and who knows maybe current students. College football is powerful. Let's be real - would anyone even know about small town Tuscaloosa without football?

By: yeah
by: Let’s be real, for real….   

Alabama will be just fine. Yes, the success of the football team has certainly helped attract students (thank you Coach!)but it’s not that alone. Alabama has been very strategic in attracting out of state students with generous scholarships. It is far cheaper for students from the northeast, Midwest, and west coast to attend Alabama than most in state schools plus, leaving the cold, dreary winters for school in the sunny south is very appealing. Ole Miss, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Arkansas all have seen large increases in student populations from out of state for similar reasons and all are located in less than stellar locations. Anyone who has been out in the real world will attest that where you do your undergrad is irrelevant (minus the Ivy League). It’s about the connections you make and Alabama is great for that given the large out of state student population and the huge Greek scene. Other schools have lost great coaches and have continued success and so will Alabama. The Tide’s gonna keep on rollin!

By: Let’s be real, for real….
#2by:    

He is what made Alabama and now that is all going to change. Besides their football the school isn't great academically and there is nothing in that town and tbh the whole sorority rush didn't live up to it's hype this year and especially now when you can get dupes these girls just look dumb. I'd rather go to a school where there is more to do, with a better location and not in the middle of backwoods. Football is what made alabama known and no one is going to come in and be another Saban.

By: What he made of this town
#3by:    

You already have one player that just decommitted! I'd rather go to CU Boulder and play for Dion now!

By: Of Course
#4by:    

At this point if I could leave I would. There is nothing to do in Alabama. It's a backwards state and now without football what can they say. The academics are horrible here. When football is a school's identity not only players but the school in general will be at a loss

By: !
by: Truth   

So true and even when you go for a job when you say University of Alabama football is the first thing the think of not the academics and you don't appeal to companys. 90% of the students that go there end up back where they came from and don't end up working in alabama because there is nothing there at all!

By: Truth
#5by:    

You shouldn't pick your school based on football. Come on people. At least choose it for your major. I would feel better if you said you wanted the four year experience of Greek life. At least you could network with countless people from across the country.

By: uuu
by: ^   

Nobody cares about your letters in the job market and nobody is going to pick you over another candidate just because you happen to have the same letters. It's fine if you're going to stay in Alabama and have some local direct connections to network with. But being Greek nowadays can be a deterrent if you have it on your resume.

By: ^
#6by:    

I don't think regular (not football players) students pick a college just for football, but it is a major draw. That's how we get the out of state students. Who else would pick Alabama out of all the other states? Really? Saban is a celebrity. Think about all of us wearing Saban pins on gameday. While Alabama kids will still go here - out of state kids will rethink.

By: !
#7by:    

Bama had a run. It was a package. Scholarships, party school, football, and Greek life. If you were not looking for name recognition for your undergrad education and just wanted to have a great four years, you chose Bama. It's that simple. Some will still come, but there will be a new shining star that seniors apply to.

By: becks

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#8by:    

Bama for years now has has a winning combo of a highly desirable college experience, incredibly nice facilities, and generous merit scholarships available to your average affluent out-of-state student. The school has also been very successful at attracting academically excellent out-of-state students with an unmatched national merit scholarship package and a lack of the hyper-PC environment found on most private college campuses. Football plays a part in the college experience aspect, yes, but is certainly not all Bama has to offer. However - a lot of their ability to offer this comes from the money printer that is the football program - so I could see a long-term lack of success affect the other areas of what makes the school so desirable.

By: mytake
by: mytake   

In short - negligible impact now, but long-term could be bad

By: mytake
#9by:    

I mean, we got past Brown v. Board of Education, we can get past this.

By: itsok

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.