facebook

social suicide?

by:    

Hey y'all. I'm originally from Birmingham and decided to try and be independent my senior year and chose to go to an out-of-state school. Quickly I realized how stupid of a decision that was and I decided I would be transferring to Bama this fall. However, while away at school I was initiated into Gamma Phi, which was not a top house but definitely upper middle at my school. I've heard a LOT of mixed things about Gphi here at Bama and I am wondering if I would be better off affiliating with this chapter and being involved with Greek Life or just going independent?

Posted By: transfer
Page 1 of 2
#1by:    

If you were interested in a sorority because you wanted to experience sisterhood, then by all means affiliate. You might be able to help them in the areas where they could use help.

If, however, you joined a sorority because you were looking for high ranking letters to enhance your own social desirability, then maybe not. The fact that you would mention the "tier" of your house at your former school is a hint that you might fit in this group.

In other words, it depends. If you're a good person, then yes. Affiliate.

If you are petty and judgmental, then no. Go alum.

By: Depends
#2by:    

Being Greek period at Bama is more fun than being GDI, regardless of where your chapter is on some arbitrary social ladder. Why be independent when you don't have to be?

If, on the other hand, you're too good for your Bama sisters, maybe you should think about transferring somewhere else. Unless you're prepared to completely avoid the Greek scene, I'll bet you wouldn't enjoy being on the outside looking in.

By: Also
#3by:    

The caption of your comment says everything about you that we need to know. I would suggest that you not think about even trying to affiliate (who knows if you'd even be successful) with the ladies of Gamma Phi Beta with that kind of an attitude. They're very sweet, but even so, I can't imagine they'd enjoy sharing their house with you.

By: agree
#4by:    

Agree. You can't look down on any SEC sorority and think it's social suicide.

By: above
#5by:    

I know several girls in the sorority you call "social suicide." They are darling, amazing girls. I doubt that you'd fit in.

By: lyse
#6by:    

No matter where you end up you need to embrace what the house stands for.
You took a vow... Shame on you for not embracing the 300 ladies at Bama.
After all Gamma phi is not that strong on a national level so there was no false advertising.

The Grrek system is too good for you anywhere.

By: How did you ever get
by: Just saying   

I agree 1000%

By: Just saying
by: ?   

Actually Gamma Phi is a very strong house nationally. Just not in the SEC.

By: ?
by: ^   

True! They are very strong everywhere else including places where they'd ask Kappa Delta who? (which really is a smaller weaker national!) the gamma Phis at aalabama don't deserve a beotch like her. Stay GDI.

By: ^
by: meh   

Gamma Phi isn't really all that strong Nationally. They really struggle at ASU and other west coast places.

By: meh
by: Psh   

Come on. Gamma Phi is top tier or upper mid at almost every school in the Midwest, and they have more chapters in California than KD, Phi Mu and Chi O combined. You could point out a handful of rough chapters for any organization when we all have 100+ chapters.

On a serious note to the poster - meet the girls and check it out to see if you fit. Not every sister is going to fit well at every chapter, but give your sisters the courtesy and respect of trying to make it work.

For now, ignore the people who are biting your head off. Considering the downright disgusting things that are posted on this board and on Gamma Phi's page, I think your language is actually pretty moderate.

By: Psh
#7by:    

Listen, Alabama sororities HAVE to have somebody on the bottom to kick around. Your house is actually full of wonderful women...and some not so wonderful...just like every house on campus.
You should definitely affiliate. While you'll already know lots of people on campus from your hometown, your sorority will give you many, many new friends from all over the country, and that might satisfy that urge to roam. You'll have fun parties to go to, and a chance to experience that fabulous new house.

But if you're not so sure, hold off a semester. Visit, get to know the girls. If you don't feel you fit in, then don't affiliate, no harm done, and you stay a member for life. (If you affiliate and hate it, you'd have to resign forever.)

If you enjoy your new sisters there and think you'd like to live in the house, go for it!

By: LOL
by: True   

Very true. Lots of lovely and smart girls in this group!

By: True
by: Bottom feeder   

I think you need to check the Facts. Grab a thigh Beta sucks at almost every school.
They are bottom middle at best, even at the best chapters.

Poor girl you need more meds

By: Bottom feeder
#8by:    

Even our bottom is better tham most schools middle. Stay GDI

By: Ya but
#9by:    

The Gamma Phis have a great sisterhood. They're sweet and I'm sure they'd be welcoming, but with your attitude you probably wouldn't fit into a lovely house like that. Don't affiliate.

By: Gamma Phi
#10by:    

Social Suicide? That's actually a pretty b i t c h y question considering that all of those girls are your sisters. No, you shouldn't affiliate since you're fixated more on social status than on sisterhood. Better yet, stay at the university you came from. Alabama doesn't need people like you in our Greek System.

By: ?????

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.