facebook

latest poll data

by:    

In the talk about national tiers, this comes pretty close. Students at universities around the country were asked which was the top / most popular sororoity.

To see the results, go to: universityprimetime.com/school/uofa/article/top-10 0-sororities-in-america

(If there is a space in the url remove it or the address won't work.)

Posted By: National tiers
Page 1 of 2
#1by:    

Interesting. I would not have guessed that!

By: ^^^^
#2by:    

bizarre list. Never even heard of over 60% of those groups. Pretty questionable, and kind of apples and oranges.

By: Really
#3by:    

This is literally a survey sent to 36 schools where they picked top sororities. That isn't factual at all! And we don't even know what schools they were sent to. For example, Sigma Kappa was ranked SUPER LOW, like in the 70s, with all the service/academic groups above them. Any list that held any merit would just include the 26 Panhellenic chapters, or at least those 26 first then everyone else.

By: ?????
#4by:    

Well, after all it is a "popularity" contest, not a merit list. The whole merit thing doesn't take into consideration which houses are the ones that people actually like and want to be in. And I'd say that 36 campuses is probably a better slice of reality that the people that post on here with their very biased rankings that only reflect the SEC. I guess it is a shock to see that houses I don't even know about (and historically black sororities) are well loved around the US. Idk. For me it just kind of put my local perceptions into more of a "national" view.

By: Glad to see it

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: The   

Non-NPC sororities shouldn't be ranked along with the NPC, it's pretty different. I'm pretty sure some of those or locals or service organizations. We don't know that they didn't send the survey to some historically black colleges or other schools that don't have NPC on campus. I mean damn, Pi Phi is 80 under tons of groups that no one at most schools have ever heard of.

By: The
#5by:    

I just looked at the ones I know about it and dismissed the others and it was still startling. I think it's a good thing to look at, though, because we do get a feeling that things everywhere are just like they are here.

By: ranking
#6by:    

AOpi sucks almost everywhere but here and georgia
bogus list

By: a
by: AOPi   

is top at Auburn. And U of Tennessee.

By: AOPi
by: No   

AOII is not top at Auburn!

By: No
#7by:    

Well, it is only a sampling from universities around the country. Even if the methodology isn't perfect, it does give me pause to think that what I thought I knew (from being in the SEC) isn't exactly everyone else's experience. I can understand how the Pi Phis and Phi Mus are upset, but it goes to show the importance of choosing a sorority that you like for your college years and not worrying about it's popularity on a "national" tier.

By: National
by: .......   

Except that Pi Phi is actually hands down one of the most prominent sororities nationally. Any list that doesn't include them towards the top is just not accurate. I'm not even a Pi Phi but I know they are one of the biggest.

By: .......
by: ^   

Not just that either, but you're correct. Whoever did this gave no information on what schools they choose or who, how, or how many people they sampled at any given school. It doesn't prove how different things actually are nationally, because it's not a large sampling of schools, bares no resemblance to how things are at most top schools, and can't even be confirmed reliable for whatever schools they did choose, because they didn't give any information to speak of. National tiers can't be applied as accurate to individual schools and are not some precise science, but that list is ridiculous.

By: ^
#8by:    

Not a precise sampling but it does go to show that people in other parts of the country have different favorites. We need to avoid thinking that because something is true in T-Town that it's true everywhere.

By: True
#9by:    

National tiers can be looked at in two ways. One is using data like size (greekrank has a list of sororities by size on its "ranking" page), philanthropy dollars, etc. The other way is to do a sampling of universities asking about popularity of the different houses on campus. Neither one is really satisfactory because in many cases you're comparing apples and oranges. Not every campus has ever sorority and not every campus is able to be sampled. Maybe this list will put the notion to rest that there is anything national about tiers for sororities.

By: @^
by: I think   

too many people are conflating the idea of national tiers to mean something that applies to all campuses. I think it's being confused as the tier order on any given campus, which is frankly absurd obviously. In the sense that anything like "national tiers" can be applied to an individual campus, they absolutely do not exist. I think it's meant to be more of a power ranking of overall prominence based on a bunch of factors. As it's been said, it is somewhat stupid and imprecise but not entirely wrong per se. There is still really no point in it whatsoever for joining an organization unless you're torn between two and there's some reason one might offer you better post-graduate opportunities. Even then you'd be better served looking at what it would offer you were you plan to live/work rather than some national averaging.

By: I think
#10by:    

True. National tiers means nothing at all except that you're biased towards the houses you know about. It is impossible to quantify the order that houses are loved around the country. It's just silly to even debate it.

By: true

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.