facebook

i don't know what to do....

by:    

I absolutely love Alabama, and I couldn't see myself anywhere else. I am an out of the south student and I was really looking forward to being in any Greek house here or at any school, but was dropped from recruitment. I signed up for COB on the day it opened up. However, I haven't been contacted by any chapters and I am really upset about it. I have joined other clubs and orgs with the full intent of enjoying them and being super involved. But, I'm not enjoying the other clubs and activities. Everytime I go to meetings it feels like something is missing. I have looked in to SDT and ADX but their national platforms just don't align with my personal beliefs. All my friends are Greek and it is hard for me to make non-greek friends because they all look down on me for wanting to be Greek. I love this school but it just feels like something is missing from my general college experience, regardless of school. Is it better to transfer to a school with a big Spring rush? Wait it out and pray for a bid via COB? Or should I just re-rush here in the spring or next fall?

Posted By: idkk
Page 2 of 2
by: Um   

The "the girls who left recruitment because they did not like what they had left" did it to themselves. They chose to quit instead of giving the organizations that ACTUALLY LIKED THEM a chance.

Sorry, there is no feeling bad for those girls.

Girls who really tried, but were just too awkward to make it and were released...now those are the girls I actually feel bad for.

By: Um
#11by:    

I feel so bad for all the girls who either left recruitment because they did not like what they had left or were released from recruitment. I agree that perhaps you should research a school that is not as competitive. Even to re-rush as a sophomore, don't most houses have a policy that once you are cut that you can never be offered a bid? Truly, good luck!

By: Hello
by: Um   

I meant in Greek Life, obviously.

#12by:    

Transferring in order to rush again is about the DUMBEST thing I have ever heard. No one NEEDS to be involved i Greek Life.

And if you can't find a way to be social otherwise, well then you are not the type of person a Greek house would want anyway.

by: Yes   

If it's THAT important to them to be in a sorority or fraternity, I'd say yes, transfer. Of course....what happens if they don't get into a sorority or fraternity at the smaller school?

By: Yes
by: @Yes   

Should being in a sorority or fraternity be THAT important to anyone? I don't think it should. I enjoy my frat, but I could live a happy life without it.

By: @Yes
#13by:    

"I don't feel like myself any more I feel like when I was dropped I lost part of my identity."

You were never a part of Greek Life, honey. How could it possibly be a part of your identity?

I think you need to talk to someone...a professional someone. This just makes me sad.

By: Huh
by: lol   

My parents said the same thing. There were independents who chose to be so, but the self proclaimed GDIs hated Greeks in general and put this label on themselves. They also dont remember a lot of arguing about top tiers, etc. Houses were competitive but not like it is now. Maybe it has to do with the internet and all the self ranking. My mom said when girls went thru "rush" they were looking for where they felt they fit it not just trying to get in a top tier. My mom also is confused about "old row." All she remembers is that it pertained to frats and where their houses were located. She doesn't remember anything about "old row" sororities and she was in one that is "old row" now. She still has friends from her sorority but none of them are involved at all other than to do recs for people who ask and give money.

By: lol
by: You might   

Come off a little more constructive if you didn't use "GDI" to refer to your independent friends. #justsayin

By: You might
by: Well   

Whoops, sometimes I forget the outside world sees GDI as derogatory. My friends and I find it funny and not insulting at all. Please excuse the misunderstanding, it's an inside joke.

By: Well
#14by:    

if this is your biggest disappointment to date, you've been living a pretty cushy life. Everyone has disappointments in life. Some people really have it rough (think being homeless, losing family members early, etc). I think you are extremely lucky if this is your main disappointment to date.

Some exclusive social organizations didn't want you as a member--so what? Does that really make you any less than the person you were before this happened? Is your self worth and sense of accomplishment really tied into a social organization that you were never a part of not wanting you?

Maybe it just wasn't God's plan for you, and that's okay. Pick yourself up, count your blessings, and move on. Greek Life isn't the end all be all of social life at Bama. My GDI friends are doing just fine.

By: Well
by: Yeah   

These days a lot of people use GDI to mean all independents but not in a bad way. Both my parents are Greek but when they were actives in the early 80's, GDI always meant someone was anti-Greek and usually a major hater. I once said I'd be okay as a Greek or a GDI, and they wanted to know how I could be okay liking something OR okay hating it. My mom said independent is fine but don't be a GDI, and I said aren't they the same thing? :) Pretty confusing conversation until we figured out we had different understandings of what a GDI is.

By: Yeah
by: "GDI"   

Has kind of a negative association at Bama -- bitter anti-Greek Mallet types.

By: "GDI"
by: ???   

Sorry, but who exactly are you talking to? Not sure how you meant it, but your "it seems as if you have not found yours" sounds snarky, which probably didn't make the OP feel any better if that's who you're directing this at. Obviously she hasn't found her organization yet or this whole thread wouldn't be here. She's asking for help, not snotty comments about what she already knows she hasn't found. If you're talking to the people saying there's different ideas of what GDI means, nobody said they weren't Greek. "Well" sounds like she/he is Greek. I'm "Yeah" and even tho I told my parents I'd be okay Greek or not, I ended up Greek. You're right, it's not so hard (who said it was?) and it seems I did find my right organization. I hope the OP does, too.

By: ???
#15by:    

This being greek thing isn't so hard once you find the right organization. It seems as if you have not found yours.

By: Truth

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: @???   

What??? That las post was a little incoherent.

By: @???
by: @???   

I'm not "Truth" but I think this poster was a bit blunt in saying: move on, and look elsewhere for happiness.

By: @???
#16by:    

So I know that ADPi, DZ, DG, GPhiB, ZTA, and Alpha Phi all had COB/informal recruitment in the spring last year. Not sure how it'd work this year with the COBing that happened this semester, but there are bound to be houses recruiting this spring.

I'd really encourage you to work on your grades, think about what you can do to come off in a better fashion while talking to girls (really look critically at how you portray yourself and try to put your best foot forward while remaining down to earth/natural), and then go through informal recruitment this spring. If you improve your grades and the general interactions/impressions you make then getting a bid will be easier as a second semester freshman than an upperclassman.

By: Sorority gal

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.