facebook

i don't know what to do....

by:    

I absolutely love Alabama, and I couldn't see myself anywhere else. I am an out of the south student and I was really looking forward to being in any Greek house here or at any school, but was dropped from recruitment. I signed up for COB on the day it opened up. However, I haven't been contacted by any chapters and I am really upset about it. I have joined other clubs and orgs with the full intent of enjoying them and being super involved. But, I'm not enjoying the other clubs and activities. Everytime I go to meetings it feels like something is missing. I have looked in to SDT and ADX but their national platforms just don't align with my personal beliefs. All my friends are Greek and it is hard for me to make non-greek friends because they all look down on me for wanting to be Greek. I love this school but it just feels like something is missing from my general college experience, regardless of school. Is it better to transfer to a school with a big Spring rush? Wait it out and pray for a bid via COB? Or should I just re-rush here in the spring or next fall?

Posted By: idkk
Page 1 of 2
#1by:    

If all your friends are greek... ask them to recommend you. If they won't, well maybe you need to focus on spending more time away from them meeting new people.

By: Dear don't know
#2by:    

Sorry is hasn't worked out yet, but having friends in sororities can be an asset. Do your sorority friends know you signed up for COB and that you're interested in them? I have a friend at another SEC school who didn't have a good rush during formal, but let some girls on her hall know that she was really interested in their sorority (but not in a creepy way.) As of last week, they told her they had put her name in to be invited to some COB events that are coming up. A lot of COB invites go to girls that some members know, but not everyone will see who is signed up, so make sure friends know you are. I hope it all works out for you.

By: Very
#3by:    

I had a 3.05 on a non-traditional 5.0 scale which was done at my top 10% best high school in the nation to reduce grade inflation, I had recs, I am well groomed( a pageant girl), from a good family and my friends have referred me to there houses which have had events and given out bids but I didn't get one... I have never been rejected from very much before and I just don't know what to do.

By: Buttt
by: grades   

probably grades - you'd probably need over a 4.0 on that scale

By: grades
by: It    

Would be impossible for me to get above a 4.0 on that scale because there were holds in place. It was out of 5 but they only gave out a certain number of grades above a 4 and even then it was only for people who met qualifications because I had an ed plan there were holds in place which prevented me from getting above a 3.5 . My high school didn't want all the students graduating with GPAs. I know most students who rush go to highly competitive high schools but I feel my situation is a little different. My test scores are high though so I think that is a better indication of my performance than a crazy GPA scale that is nearly impossible to understand

By: It
#4by:    

I didn't rush fall because of my GPA from high school. I feared that I was going to get dropped and did not want to go through the whole process to end up being rejected completely. I made the decision not to rush fall and decided I would do spring or as a sophomore so I could get my grades up and wouldn't be put at a disadvantage because of my GPA. So for me, this whole COB in the fall kind of sucks because I was going to use the fall semester to get my grades up so I could do COB spring most likely. Part of the reason I chose Alabama was because of the greek life. I totally get where you're coming from, I too love Alabama and could not see myself anywhere else. I get this amazing feeling when I am here and I am genuinely happy. Just like you though, there is a part of me that feels left behind or left out and like I am missing something not just for the social aspect of it but also the sisterhood. I am meant to be in a sorority, I know it. A lot of my friends are greek and it can be rough sometimes. Everyone keeps telling me it will all work out So I am hoping and waiting for that time. Hopefully everything works out for you too. Good luck and know you're not alone. I feel the same way!

By: I get you
by: Listen   

You could still sign up for COB now. And don't be shy about letting your Greek friends know you've done that. Don't keep talking about it, but do bring it up.
Once you've signed up, you've put your name on a list that says "I'm interested in pledging." Sororities get the list and may - or may not - invite you to do something - come to the house for lunch or dinner, watch movies, go out with some of the members to bowl - stuff like that.

It's MUCH less structured and more relaxed that formal. Of course, not every house may invite you...not every house is going to pledge a bunch girls during this time. But you never know.

You don't HAVE to join any of them. You can always say you decided to rush again as a sophomore. You would get know know some more sorority members and have a closer look at sorority life.

By: Listen
by: dear listen   

are you in a sorority

By: dear listen
by: Listen   

Yes

By: Listen
by: dear listen   

which one?

I have a friend who recommended me to one of their houses about a week ago and the sorority emailed me asking me to drop off my COB form at their house, which I did. They have not contacted me yet and I am feeling like they probably will not because of my GPA, which sucks.

By: dear listen
by: DON'T   

COB. Seriously, unless you have a 4.0 and are spectacular, I would re-rush. Going through formal recruitment shows more initiative than someone who throws their name on a list and never even bothered with the formalities to begin with. Not to mention, most houses don't cob. The only reason a bunch are now is bc of the controversy. My house, which usually cobs, wasn't even going to until this happened

By: DON'T
#5by:    

is not a free pass or an easy way to join. It is an extra and rare chance. If your grades are not good, don't try COB. If you can't look someone in the eye when talking to them, if you can't carry on a conversation, or more importantly, if you can't start a conversation, you shouldn't try COB. If you don't present yourself well, don't try COB.

If you fall into any of these categories, dedicate yourself to making improvements and making connections this year, and go thru formal recruitment next year.

By: COB
by: Nona   

Good point! Apparently idkk doesn't know much...

By: Nona
#6by:    

You do realize that SDT has no religious requirement and is NOT affiliated with any one religion, right?

By: Uhhh
#7by:    

You need a reality check!

SDT's national platform is absolutely NO DIFFERENT from any other sorority's national platform. If you didn't get in during this fall rush, you should give SDT a try and stick it out, if you are lucky enough to get a bid.

Transferring to another school just for greek life makes no sense! That's crazy!

I truly believe your shift in understanding needs to come from within and from without. In other words, you need to understand that even if you get a bid from The Best Sorority Ever, that is not a guarantee that you will be accepted and loved off the top. Sisterhood and brotherhood just doesn't work like that. You may not click in the beginning, you may not click in the end, but hopefully you can make the best of whatever situation you find yourself in IF YOU GET A BID.

By: Ashley
by: Ashley   

As you know, UA has a a very competitive and you've got your best shot as a freshman, with very limited returns as an upperclassman. Your chances won't be any easier as a sophomore. Even with the upperclassman quota, your options will be more limited. Not all sororities at Bama take advantage of the upperclassman quota, which means that just because they're permitted to take a certain # of upperclassmen, it doesn't mean they will. Some houses even have a once cut/cut always informal policy.

You may have a better chance at a bid during this coming spring at houses that decide to have informal recruitment, if you're still on everyone's radar and are well-liked. Not sure how that would work out for you considering you were dropped this year.

If you go through formal recruitment again, you'll be in the second most challenged group (after girls who did not accept a bid they received or depledged before initiation). Make no mistake about the fact that sororities will recognize you from the previous year and the negative impression you made (let's not kid ourselves here, if they wanted you, you would not have been dropped). Girls who didn't go through recruitment as freshmen or girls who transferred in as sophomores will not have to deal with this, and therefore will have a better chance of getting a bid than you will.

by: Ashley   

You should probably try, because you never know, but the truth is that it is much harder as an upperclassman, which is why IMO it is illogical that you're writing SDT off without getting to know them.

Good luck to you!

by: well   

Let's not forget that some girls are dropped for things like grades. The once cut/always cut wouldn't really apply if she gets her grades to a 3.7 or higher

By: well
by: This is   

true if she was cut for grades. However, there are houses (APhi, GPhiB, and ZTA) that have low standards as far as grades go. Also, if grades were her only issue, that'd be really obvious/easy to pinpoint.

Most likely this girl has some sort of personality quirk that just didn't jive with the houses. Plenty of girls are released from rush for reasons other than grades.

By: This is
#8by:    

Is targeted to a specific type of evangelical Christian. PNMs have to meet very strict requirements just to be considered for membership. They're not for someone who is just looking for a Greek experience.

By: ADX

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#9by:    

I get what you're really trying to say without outright saying it. You don't want to be ADX or SDT. Maybe you think they suck or maybe you just don't want to be a part of such a small group that doesn't really have swaps with big fraternities. Whatever. That's fine. I, personally, wouldn't even give them a glance over. It's all about preference. I genuinely think that if it means that much to you and you don't think you'll get a bid next year during formal recruitment, transfer. Some people don't understand that a lot of people come to college for the social aspect as well as education. My only advice is not to go to an SEC school with a big recruitment. This includes Auburn as they will rarely take any upperclassmen, much less one who was cut. A small school with a small greek life will be much more open to taking girls. Do your research and good luck. If you decide to stay and rush again, get everything you need well in advance.

By: Ok
by: Beggars   

can't be choosers!

By: Beggars
by: Nooo   

That's not it I would gladly pledge any sorority however I do not like the idea of a specfic single religous denomination playing such a large role in a sororities national platform which is something I feel like SDT and ADX do have.

By: Nooo
#10by:    

You really need to go talk to a professional. Your attitude doesn't sound normal from what I'm reading.

By: Um

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.