facebook

personal connections

by:    

Are personal connections REALLY that important in getting a bid? If you were going in not knowing anyone were you pretty much screwed?

Posted By: released
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

They CAN be. But now, you are NOT "pretty much screwed" if you don't know anyone. GRADES GRADES GRADES ladies - that comes first. And a good reputation.

By: Well
#2by:    

So did my 3.5 cause me to get released because I wasn't perfect in highschool?

By: released

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#3by:    

So did my 3.5 cause me to get released because I wasn't perfect in highschool?

By: released
#4by:    

I just rushed this past week. Let me tell you... The answer is YES! I had great grades and a fantastic résumé. All of my sorority members who wrote me recs we're convinced I would have the option of any house I wanted basically. I only got 8 back the first day and it didn't include most of my favorites. Talking to my rho chi, the girls who did get invited to my favorites new girls in the houses. My only favorite I carried through pref is the one where I had a friend in the house. You may not know this now but there will be tons of Alabama girls there who all know people in several of the top houses and those people want them in their pledge classes. So don't be too optimistic going in. Luckily, I got a house I do like, but it's not what I expected coming in at all.

By: Rushee
#5by:    

From what I have seen, it's all about who you know. Girls with fantastic resumes were dropped over girls with less qualifications. You are lucky to have a house that you like. Many were dropped completely.

By: sorry
#6by:    

I just went through recruitment this past week and got a bid to my top house. I was OOS, only had a 3.5 GPA and I didn't know a single person in any house. I didn't have recommendations for any houses either. They found someone to write me a rec so I could get a bid. If they really like you enough, they will make it happen. I'm not saying connections don't matter because I would be in denial, but if you have other strong attributes, you will be okay.

By: Pledge
#7by:    

Connections certainly could help. I would encourage you to get those recs in early (why start off behind the eight ball without them?). That said, I got a bid to one of the top tier houses (my first choice) without knowing anyone. I'm OOS, 3.5, knew no one...nearly perfect invite cards throughout the week. I'm feeling very lucky to have had such a great week and end up in just the right house for me. So, anything is possible!

By: justwentthroughrush
#8by:    

My roommate had a perfect recruitment because she knows someone in every house and her top house had her best friend in it and that's where she got a bid. I had disappointments every single day. I ended up getting a middle tier house that I am happy in but it stings because I know girls from my rho chi group who were way less "qualified" and got what I consider top houses. Just be ready for disappointment.

By: Yes
#9by:    

still true in 2024

By: good advice

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.