facebook

sorority house dues?

by: Pam

How is everyone able to afford being in a sorority and having to pay $8,000 a year?

Posted By: Pam
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: why   

bump

By: why
#2  by: obviously   

most people’s parents pay for it, it’s not that expensive if you just think of it as extra tuition

By: obviously
#3  by: also   

most people are on some scholarship money, and that helps cover it. we also don’t have to pay for a meal plan or rent if you live in the house.

By: also
#4  by: $   

Our sisters fall into one of a few situations. Depending on the house it might be more of one than the other. Basically in my OR house it is 1/2 or more upper middle class wealthy families who will give anything to their daughter to make her happy and successful. They don't bat an eye and there was never any question that they would be going greek. Then we have 15-20% who are on scholarship for amazing grades and their parents figure that they budgeted so much for school and by choosing the school with more scholarship $ and less tuition they will give the balance for the "experience". Many of these girls are also upper middle class wealthy but are a bit more grounded and their parents see it as an investment in networking, peers, and a good social life. The final group are scraping to make it. They may have many loans, a relative gifting them some extra money (grandparents, aunts, etc) and/or a job or two. In our house you would never know the ones who struggle because not only are they going into debt for dues but also for designer bags and game day outfits that get worn once and discarded.

Some NR houses might have a higher percent of OOS scholarship girls than my house and less of the daddy will buy you anything to make you happy girls. Many of the OOS scholarship girls parents set aside money for much more expensive schools and have a different price point in mind than the deep south. They still think that it is a bargain, especially with their daughters getting rewarded with scholarships. They might also have more of the going into debt crowd but I don't know.

By: $
#5  by: Me   

I myself and at least a few other girls who have deals with there parents, grand parents.

Mine is keep a 3.5 or higher (they want me to have good grades but I have a merit based scholarship)

During the summer I work and have to save a certain amount of money for dues, example this summer I saved $2000. During the school year work part time for extras/shopping/going out to eat. Although I don't recommend you work more than 12 hours a week your first semester. It's just too much when you are pledging.

I'm still lucky to have parents who can afford it.

A friend of mine basically got to choose between a new car or joining a sorority, lol. She has a car but it's her mom's old one, no one cares what you drive down here.

But if you really don't think you can afford it don't rush. No one really makes any real/long lasting friends in their rush group. And you who might drop because of money are definitely taking a spot from another girl.

By: Me
#6  by: Not   

There is not one story or any generalization. Some houses probably have a higher percentage of wealthier parents, and if it bothers you to be around such spending, beware as you rush. You’ll be able to tell. If it doesn’t bother you, and you don’t have a need to keep up if you can’t afford it, and you like one of these houses it’s certainly possible to be included and not have “as much”. If you really can’t afford it, then I’d have to say Greek life is probably isn’t for you.

There are non scholarship OOS girls who are here for fun, with families that can easily afford out of state tuition, Greek life, travel home, frequent travel, that have beautiful “throw away” furniture they can’t easily move, take trips to every away game, etc.

There are also wealthy in state girls driving Range Rovers, wearing color of the day Hermès click bracelets, etc.

There are more discrete wealthy girls in and out of state.

Girls who find the economics including Greek life not too bad compared to college In general based on In state tuition or out of state with scholarships. And are able to do it but not extravagant.

All of the above have high earning/wealthy parents and yes - believe it or not - Bama attracts a notable number of them as students!

But there are also.....

Girls who find a way and may work to help make it possible.

Girls and families going into deep debt to keep up at various levels.

And girls who drop because of finances.

Came from a fairly “wealthy” area - OOS - and have to admit to being surprised by the excesses here. And while there may be some families going into debt for it, I really think it’s the exception.\n\n\n\n\n

By: Not
#7  by: suggestion   

If you are pressed for money, consider NOT going through recruitment. No matter how wonderful greek life is, it's not worth running up a huge amount of student debt. You can still have a great time without it.

By: suggestion
#8  by: Living costs   

Approx $8000 is listed for living in. You are going to be paying for a dorm and meal plan your freshman year and probably longer. Especially if you join a sorority. About $1600+ is for meals at the house which are generally delicious.

I avoided buying every T-shirt and swag. And dressing up for game day does not mean a new outfit every week. I purchased gifts for my sisters at discount or made something. It’s fun to collect that stuff for awhile and then I find it’s a pain to schlep it from dorm, house, appt after awhile.

I think on if the bigger temptations is eating out all the time and grabbing snacks like Starbucks. Some people have limitless
budgets from mom and dad. I don’t.

Theme parties can add up. Sometimes I ask older sisters to borrow.

I have several sisters who wear a top or skirt on time. Later in the year their mom is selling or giving it away for $5. Most of these aren’t high end brands. I really don’t know why they buy them.

I love my chapter and do save $$$$ in the summer working full time for extra expenses.

By: Living costs
#9  by: Cheap School   

I am from Massachusetts. This school was sooo much less expensive than almost all others, and the merit money was the best. sorority money considered part of tuition for my family.

By: Cheap School
by: what?Jul 29, 2019 5:04:50 PM

completely wrong, bama has been known to have some of the highest dues in the country

By: what?
by: NoJul 29, 2019 5:14:34 PM

They’re referring to tuition being less expensive not dues.

By: No
#10  by: Gamma    

All close to same. Different ways to add things up but bottom line comes out very close at end of the day

By: Gamma

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.