facebook

help please!

by: 2016

Serious Question: I heard there is zero chance for a African American to get into a white fraternity, so what is the names of the black ones. What are are chances of a sophomore getting in? Whats the process? Thanks.

Posted By: 2016
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: I forget   

which one, but a few of the "white" fraternities have a black member. And another newly formed fraternity, Sigma Tau Gamma, has several black members, but they don't have a house. If you want to join IFC, go new row. Idk about any fraternities outside of IFC

By: I forget
#2  by: ...   

Go to Bama's Greek Life website and look under NPHC. There is where you'll find info about the black organizations. Their process is called Membership Intake and it's different from how IFC and Panhellenic do their rushes. Also, just know they look for top people and aren't easy to get into, so be ready to impress because these orgs are known for their proud and accomplished members, plus the networking and connections as an alum are incredible. But really, here's a heads up for you: I think they'd be offended if they knew you decided to look at them only because you don't think you'd get into a white fraternity, instead of for all the things they stand for and offer. The NPHC members I know wouldn't be interested in anyone who saw them as an alternative, and if that's what you're doing, they'll see through you in a minute. Also, a lot of people who go through their intake have been researching and learning about them for awhile, so do that before you try talking to them and start trying to show them why you're worth taking. I hear it isn't easy stuff, but worth it if you make it, so good luck.

By: ...
by: ^ YesAug 6, 2013 6:34:11 PM

Another very important point:

In NPHC, you choose ONLY ONE organization, research it, and then indicate your interest. It's extremely bad form to express interest in multiple groups.

Just to throw it out there, there's also a multicultural fraternity, Sigma Lambda Beta, and a Christian fraternity, Lambda Sigma Phi.

By: ^ Yes
by: One more thingAug 7, 2013 8:46:50 AM

Assuming you're serious about pursuing NPHC, don't go blabbing about it to everyone. Keep it to yourself. Discretion is key. Do your research -- again, narrow it to ONE GROUP -- and then express your interest at an official rush (informational).

By: One more thing
#3  by: Very true   

It's not like IFC rush where you go around and visit different houses. If you approach a fraternity in the Divine 9, they expect you to be interested in them and nobody else.
Not to sound mean, but being on Greek Rank asking who the black fraternities are shows you aren't ready to talk to these men. Better get to learning about them if you want an NPHC brotherhood. NPHC guys I know wouldn't trade it for anything, but they were never like the guys coming on this site crying about not being able to join a fraternity full of white brothers. They didn't give a crap about whether they could get in one of those because they never wanted to.

By: Very true
#4  by: 2016   

Thanks for the replies. I just didn't want to waste anyone's time knowing i had no chance getting in. Anymore insight would be helpful. Thanks again.

By: 2016
by: Just curiousAug 7, 2013 6:00:40 PM

Are there any NPHC Greeks in your family?

By: Just curious
#5  by: 2016   

To just curious:
Unfortunately No. Im new to all this and just trying to get involved.

By: 2016
#6  by: Hey   

You really will find a lot of information at Bama's NPHC website.

By: Hey
#7  by: Seri   

Hmmmm

By: Seri

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.