facebook

gpa requirement for rush at bama

by: MammaA

Could someone please tell me if it's worth a try to rush if my daughters weighted GPA is 3.1 and unweighted GPA is 2.9 ? We are from Southern California and have been reading all the posts about rush at UA and are fearful of not getting considered for a bid because of her GPA. She has lots of volunteer and leadership hours on her resume and is very pretty, with a fun personality. Her high school was a private college preparatory school with rigorous curriculum , is any of that considered or do they just weed them out by the GPA number? She may not go to UA if she doesn't have a chance to be in a sorority. Please let us know your thoughts....Thank You!

Posted By: MammaA
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Guest   

Lots of kids admitted to UA with lower GPAs than 2.9

By: Guest
by: MammaAMay 20, 2013 10:54:41 AM

Yes I know she was one of them but can she get into a sorority with her GPA at 2.9?

By: MammaA
#2  by: OK   

Listen, if your daughter's only interest in college is being in a sorority, why are you paying out big bucks for an OOS university?
Rant over....there is nothing you can do now about her grades.
However...there is EVERYTHING you can do about her sorority recommendations. This, frankly, is why recommendations are valued. On the recommendation, your sorority friends have a chance to explain that she went to an elite prep school with a rigorous curriculum and a 2.9 there is more like a 3.6 elsewhere.
She still needs to be open to any sorority, not just the "elite" six.
And make sure her rush wardrobe is full of Lilly dresses and Tory Burch shoes.

By: OK
by: OkMay 20, 2013 12:35:46 PM

Thank you!
She is not only interested in being in a sorority... but she would like to attend Alabama and would like to be in a sorority. Thank you, for your input.

By: Ok
#3  by: Advice   

Will her transcript say a 3.1? If if does, she will be fine. Do make sure you gather as many references as possible. Good Luck and Welcome to Alabama!

By: Advice
by: ??May 21, 2013 10:10:31 AM

You mean Alabama doesn't recalculate grades to core curriculum and eliminating unstandardized bonus grades (honors)? Wow! Most competitive schools do that first thing and Panhellenic uses the universitie's refigured GPA.

By: ??
#4  by: i can relate   

I came to Alabama from SoCal as well. I, however, had a 3.8 GPA. I had a decent rush, but still found that being from out of state, not many sororities will notice you. Let me put it this way, Alabama has the most competitive greek life system in the entire country. Your daughters success in rush will depend on a number of things:
1. Your Zipcode---Birmingham girls have the best advantage
2. Legacies---Does your family have any legacies?
3. Money---How much money does your family have? (yes sororities DO look into this)
3. GPA---The cutoff is always at least a 3.0 during rush....but GPA is overall a VERY important part of rush
4. Looks---Let's be honest...beauty can certainly get you VERY far in rush
5. Extracurriculars---What was your daughter involved in in high school?
6. Letters of Recommendation
7. Charisma---How well does your daughter carry herself and how well is she able to hold conversation?

By: i can relate
#5  by: Oh wow   

I hope you are enjoying yourself :-/ she has decided now to go to U of Arizona.... WOW and I thought the OC was bad but the judging seems so superficial in Alabama!

By: Oh wow
by: To MomMay 21, 2013 2:23:44 AM

While I'm sorry that i can relate's experience led to her conclusions, I'll speak from the POV of an alum who does recs for many Bama PNMs, and networks with others who do. Search the UA 2012 Sorority Pledges list, published for viewing at the UA Greek Affairs site. You'll see many OSS PNMs, including California girls, who accepted bids.

Legacy status doesn't carry much weight in competitive recruitments. So many legacies rush, it's impossible for all to receive bids from their legacy and a lot don't. In SOME cases, legacy status hurts-- a PNM gets dropped by other houses assuming she'll want her legacy. However, plenty of women who are first in their families to rush do fine at Bama

I'm not aware of sororities obtaining financial documents needed to see how much $$ a family truly has. It would require hacking into bank accounts and tax info. I will say, though, Bama sororities are expensive.

PNMs below 3.0 are warned to expect heavy cuts. What GPA was on the high school transcript? I think Bama takes that and doesn't recalculate. Verify with Registrar if the 3.1 or 2.9 shows.

Recs are needed -- try for two per house. Sororities like well rounded members, so extracurriculars help. Looks and charisma -- nice but doesn't equate a beauty queen working the room. Present nicely, be friendly, show interest. If quiet, work on communication/conversation skills so not to get lost in this huge rush.

Whichever UA your daughter chooses, best of luck to her.

By: To Mom
#6  by: bamagirl123   

I will be attending the University of Alabama in the fall and i have a 2.7 gpa, do you think i will get into a sorority?

By: bamagirl123
by: Your fineJul 10, 2014 11:26:18 PM

Just have you daughter be herself. Follow up on all of your recs. sometimes people don't sent them in and it can hurt the PNM.

By: Your fine
by: ActiveJul 10, 2014 11:40:07 PM

No, you will not. All sororities at Alabama have a GPA requirement, most of which are 3.0 and some are even 3.2. If you do not meet this requirement you more than likely will be cut after the first round of recruitment because the easiest way for us to cut down on the numbers is by whether you meet the GPA requirement or have a rec. That's just the way it is. If you do not have 3.0 in high school, you more than likely will not reach one in college so why would we take someone who will only bring down the average GPA of our house? My advice to you is to rush sophomore year. Make friends in sororities and focus on your grades (as in get above a 3.5). There are plenty of upperclassmen who go through recruitment at Alabama. However, if you chose to rush freshman year with a 2.7 high school GPA, you are only setting yourself up for heartbreak.

By: Active
by: Be amazingJul 12, 2014 1:41:42 AM

Register and go the first day. You will get invites back.

By: Be amazing
#7  by: Reality   

The reality is that the woman who participates in Recruitment at Alabama has AN AVERAGE gpa of 3.5. You might only need a 2.5 to get in to the school, but yes, recruitment is a far more competitive process than the actual admission process itself. This post should serve as a warning to sophomores and juniors who are reading these pages.... the sorority houses are big and beautiful, full of beautiful SMART women who care about academics. Being popular, pretty rich and a legacy doesn't matter much if your grades are merely average. The national sororities have standards, regardless of what your school admissions process is.

By: Reality
#8  by: Last    

Last year the average girl going through recruitment was 3.53. Most houses will cut below 3.0 unless they have something exceptional. Or are really good looking. Maybe legacy status. Good luck, just have her be herself

By: Last
#9  by: rolltide   

I am rushing at Alabama in a few weeks and as the days get closer to rush, I become more and more worried about my GPA. It Is a 3.3 and the minimum GPA to rush is a 3.2, but I am worried none of the houses will invite me back because it is not at least a 3.5. How good are my chances of getting a bid with a 3.3 GPA?

By: rolltide
by: 🙂Jul 29, 2019 5:49:51 PM

You should not have a problem with a 3.30 no go enjoy the rest of your summer!
Lots of girls have 3.3s

By: 🙂
by: WonderingOct 1, 2019 1:15:23 PM

@rolltide how did recruitment go for you?

By: Wondering
#10  by: LOL   

Why would gpa matter at a hick school??

By: LOL

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.