facebook

feeling a little apprehensive

by:    

Senior in high school, lived on the west coast my whole life but i love the south. My concern is that since i am not from anywhere in the south i wont get any bids, or only bids from low-tier frats (which seems just as bad). Planning on visiting in march for the ifc preview so hopefully that will help a little. Naturally, i'd like to get bids from the top-tier frats, is this possible? Is there things about greek life at bama that totally contradict with west coast schools? Just trying to be well informed, dont wanna move here only to realize i should of stayed in the west only cause im not an Alabama native.

Posted By: west coast person
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

houses like KA and maybe some other old row you won't get a bid at, but if you can get a bid at any affiliated house, go for that, all the top and most of the middle tier houses are affiliated.

By: There's some
#2by:    

and you will be rewarded with a great experience.

You will get some crap, mostly good natured, but some nasty stuff too from the minority of rednecks.

By: Embrace it ...
#3by:    

You have to network now, go on the chapter websites, email the Rush Chairs, start the process and get invited to a few parties. Summer school helps out of state guys. If your a sharp, solid guy you will be looked at by everyone except KA. DKE even has a few guys out of state, ie Colorado and Pennsylvania. But if your a gel headed muscled up west coast guido guy, you won't get a bid from anyone except the lower tier.

By: Tejas

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#4by:    

I think you will like UA and end up joining a frat that is good for you. This is Alabama, everything is good here, even the stuff that is considered "lower tier" or whatever. The fact that you are making an effort and planning now shows that you want to make a good impression and are taking rush seriously. If you go through rush with a closed mind and act all shocked at our southern traditions, as some outsiders do (but I get the impression you would not act like that), then you will have a harder time fitting in. However, if you respect and want to help carry on the traditions at UA, then I'm sure you will have a great experience with Greek life. Just remember to be a gentleman especially when girls are around. Since your from Cali people might be more quick to notice any unorthodox behavior, even if they don't intend to. I know it might not be fair, but as long as you are aware of it and dress/act a little conservatively then you will be fine. Even you decide to rush or not, you will love UA! Good luck and RTR :)

By: Jackie O
#5by:    

……...

By: Ok

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.