facebook

transfer dude

by:    

I'm thinking about transferring into Cornell in either spring or fall 2017 and 100% plan on rushing fraternities (the fraternity that I'm in currently at my school does not have a Cornell transfer). When is the best time to rush - spring or fall? Will frats hold it against me if I come in spring, wait a semester to adjust and meet brothers, and rush in fall as a second semester soph?

Posted By: Yo yo
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

Formal recruitment happens in the spring, which every house participates in, and informal happens in the fall. "Every house" also participates in fall rush, but I'd say only about half off them actually take a pledge class then. It really depends on the house, but ones with bigger PCs will just wait until spring, while the ones with fewer pledges each rush will give out bids both semesters.

On one hand, a lot of frats tend to prioritize freshman over sophomores because they'll be in the house longer, but on the other it helps a lot if you already know a few guys in all the houses you're interested in. I would rush in the spring as a freshman transfer, and see how you do. If you don't get a bid or aren't crazy about the houses that did give you one, try again in the fall and following spring and see what happens. It's better (in general) to rush early and try again later than just wait.

By: Double edged sword

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#2by:    

Freshmen tend to be prioritized over sophomores, transfer or not. In general, if a house isn't taking sophomores in the fall, you can expect them to be unlikely to take sophomores in the spring. That's not to say its impossible, its just less likely, but certainly does happen. For that reason, it would be unreasonable not to rush in the fall on the sole basis of fewer houses taking pc's.

By: Fall

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.