facebook

how many girls got completely dropped?

by: pnm

im rushing at uga in the fall and i’m completely freaking out. i keep hearing horror stories about getting dropped from every house and not getting a bid. i know rush here is competitive but how many girls get dropped/released/no bid?

Posted By: pnm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: don't worry   

A handful are dropped from all houses. Really, that's all. The vast majority who don't get bids drop out on their own. What these girls mean about "every house" is that they were dropped from the only ones they would consider a bid from, so it was one of those or not at all, and they dropped out. When girls have a bad rush it's mostly because they were unprepared and overwhelmed, and plenty of those girls do go on to get a COB or absolutely slay their second formal rush the following fall. Don't worry, it won't help you to be nervous and will make everything worse. Be confident, please.

By: don't worry
by: NahFeb 11, 2024 6:06:36 PM

“When girls have a bad rush it's mostly because they were unprepared and overwhelmed” Not true at all - it’s because they don’t know many people. Most everyone going through it is overwhelmed and unprepared for rush.

By: Nah
by: AgreeFeb 15, 2024 9:02:17 PM

I completely agree w this, but to address the reply, I feel like even if you don’t know many people you’ll be fine. So many oos girls have a great time during rush even without having a ton of connections or even knowing anyone at all. Obviously there are exceptions, but I feel like you won’t have to worry about much.

By: Agree
by: UmmFeb 15, 2024 10:01:03 PM

The out of state girls that do well at rush actually have connections already too. Just being honest If you don’t have connections it’s tough.

By: Umm
by: yeahFeb 15, 2024 11:24:07 PM

the girls that do super well and get top houses ofc have connections but even if u don’t you’ll probs still get a bid from somewhere. it may not be a great or super successful rush but if u want a bid there will most likely be a bid. most people won’t get totally dropped, even without connections. but i totally agree, the girls that have great rushes generally have connections.

By: yeah
by: True storyMay 27, 2024 10:12:19 AM

My friend was from a heavily recruited private Atlanta high school and knew lots of people, but had a horrible rush and dropped. She was pretty and well liked, and had stellar grades and resume, but did poorly at rushing because she was completely overwhelmed and unprepared for the intensity. She rushed again the following year, after understanding the process and expectations better, and then it was a dog fight among the top houses for her. She got a bid at her top choice.

Rushing well is very important for every pnm because it can bring you down even when you know people and it can lift up a total stranger to be a desirable pnm. Don't listen to anyone who says different.

By: True story
by: some truth...May 28, 2024 11:01:58 AM

1. I'm going to say 99.5% of the women going through recruitment are NOT dropped by all houses. It is so rare that happens. In most cases, PNMs drop out because they don't get the 1 or 2 houses they think they belong in. That's not mean, it's just fact.

2. ALL sororities make cuts. Including DPhiE and AXiD. Just because you're either a) smaller or b) new doesn't mean you'll give a bid to anything that breathes.

3. Don't count on COB if you get cut from your favorite house. Most houses will not COB OR if they do, you won't know about it.

4. Eliminate any preconceived notions from your head. As hard as it is, if you're going into recruitment thinking you're an ABC or a DEF, you're already losing. Give every house a chance, and you'll find where you belong.

By: some truth...
#2  by: metoo   

OMG I’m in the exact same situation as you!! I’m actually coming from out of state tho, so I don’t know anyone. My tour guide at UGA was in a sorority tho and she said that if you want to be in a sorority then you’ll most likely get a bid, so I don’t think we have much to worry about! I think if you’re nice and friendly and put your best foot forward you’ll probably be fine!

By: metoo
#3  by: imo   

It is rare for girls to get completely dropped. I've only heard of it happening for reasons like a girl who goes through rush and is super rude to certain houses, or girls who talk about inappropriate things during rush. Otherwise, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

When girls say they got dropped, they usually mean from their favorite houses, and often won't give other houses (which are usually "lower tier" houses) another look. If you go to pref with two houses and only list one house, there's also a chance of getting dropped as a result of that too.

By: imo
#4  by: You’ll be fine   

Not many girls get fully dropped and probably not you. Just maximize your options and most girls who get “dropped” drop out themselves because they feel like they’re too good for the houses they get invited back to. You’ll be fine, I promise.

By: You’ll be fine
by: ?Feb 14, 2024 11:07:09 AM

People throw out 'maximize your options' without it meaning anything. What do you think that means?

By: ?
by: explanationFeb 14, 2024 3:56:00 PM

What I think maximizing your options means is that you don’t take yourself out of the running/limit your options by doing things like going into rush with a set list of houses you want and dropping out of rush if you don’t get invited back or suiciding your bid.

I’ve always believed that “maximizing your options” is doing things like going into rush with an open mind about every house, ranking houses based on fit, not exclusivity, and writing down both houses on pref night.

By: explanation
by: some truth...May 28, 2024 11:05:57 AM

Maximize your options means that after each round, you rank all of the houses you attended and at the end, if you attended two preference parties, you list both on your MRABA. It's that simple.

By: some truth...
#5  by: yeah   

just go into it with an open mind and don’t let gr decide where you want to be. if you let gr dictate your decision you’ll end up miserable.

By: yeah
#6  by: Ru   

Bump bump

By: Ru
#7  by: Thetruthaboutrush   

Getting in a sorority at UGA is all about connections or money. The sororities are already recruiting and they will invite seniors to GDay to meet people and network. They also stalk the freshman instagram pages. Your address matters too. A girl from a rich neighborhood will have a better chance.

Most OOS girls do fine because their parents can afford oos tuition. If you have a scholarship don’t mention it. It is true that you will probably get a bid from somewhere, but some of them will literally tell you don’t join this sorority when you go to the house and others will be super rude- it’s not just that they drop because they didn’t get what they wanted. Most of the girls who drop were only left with DPhiE in the end and this sorority had girls literally telling them not to join at rush.

The letters of rec from alumnae mean nothing.

And because they all know each other anyway, most of the sororities have cliques in the sorority so if you don’t know anybody and are joining to make friends it probably won’t happen, but you will have parties and date nights to take your friends who aren’t in a sorority. If you wind up in the same one as other girls who don’t know anyone you may make friends.

If all of that sounds awful just don’t rush and go to parties with friends that do. They all bring friends. It will save you thousands of dollars a year.

Oh and you have to have one of the highest gpas and involvement levels to live in the house sophomore year. Most don’t get to.

By: Thetruthaboutrush
by: MhmmmMay 26, 2024 6:30:33 PM

This is accurate

By: Mhmmm
#8  by: Truthful   

Honestly I knew of about 30-50 girls that got completely dropped. It just happens girly pop sowwy

By: Truthful
by: ^Feb 22, 2024 8:51:40 PM

No, you didn't, and you're nasty.

By: ^
by: someonessaltyFeb 22, 2024 9:23:08 PM

Girly pop and the baby talk is crazyyy, literally everyone on this website is a troll lol

By: someonessalty
#9  by: Graduatingin2mnths   

I’m a senior in a sorority and I’d say both of those comments are kind of true.

Alumnae recs- don’t bother
Networking: Yep super important. Just like real life if you have a friend they can pull you in. And if somebody in a sorority hated you in high school mark that one off. Where it’s sad is if you were maybe quiet or awkward in high school but changed and the current member remembers you as being weird or not fun- it’s going to hurt you. A lot of girls like this drop and then get cobs from multiple houses in spring or have a great rush the next year. The Gday thing is true. If you can swing an invite to anything where somebody can introduce you members do it! Most sororities have lists going already. Try and get on them now if you can.

Social/insta: yep it’s used. But it’s not like you will automatically be dropped if your followers are low. It’s if you look like a girl that sorority would want to hang out with. Again if you have s connection your social won’t matter as much.

Dphie rush: idk about this first hand but i have heard there was a girl telling girls not to join dphie who dropped after rush. If it’s true that’s awful. They are getting a renovated house and one great pledge class could totally turn them around.

Social cliques: UGA is a state school and freshman tend to hang with high school people for the first semester. But college isn’t like high school so people wind up making different friends and going to different sororities socials. You definitely don’t have to be in one to go to parties and events. We bring our friends from other sororities and who aren’t greek all the time. Which is why you shouldn’t worry about which house you get in. Nobody cares after freshman year.

Money: If you can afford the dues none of the sororities care except a few. I think oos girls who have no connections tend to do well because they have no “bad” connections and they have something interesting to say during rush and get remembered.

By: Graduatingin2mnths
#10  by: Tbh lots   

Many girls

By: Tbh lots

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.