facebook

Top Sororities for Queer BIPOC?

by: Hiii

I’m an incoming freshman going through recruitment this year, and hoping to get people’s perspectives on the top sororities that prioritize diversity (but aren’t bottom tier). I’m AFAB but use They/Them pronouns and I’m half Black/half Indian, so I really want to end up in a house where I’ll be genuinely accepted and can freely be myself.

I know a few girls in most of the sororities here, so I feel like I have decent connections, but only my friends in Pi Phi and DPhiE have said that I’d fit in there. I haven’t felt comfortable bringing up the topic as much with my friends in higher ranked houses though.

Anytime I’ve seen diversity mentioned on this site or elsewhere, it seems that only lower ranked houses are mentioned, but are there any upper mid or top tier houses that appreciate diversity and extend bids to PNMs who aren’t straight, white females who adhere to stereotypical cisgender norms?

Posted By: Hiii
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Honest   

To be blunt with you, your race won’t be an issue at most houses; however, your use of they/them pronouns isn’t going to help you. Your post also comes across a bit standoffish/easily offended/extremely liberal, so I’d definitely suggest avoiding discussing diversity (or any other social/political issues) during recruitment.

The only top/mid house you might have a slight chance at is Chi O, but you’d really have to have a ton of friends in the chapter - they care less about looks and image than the other top houses, but they prioritize connections and only take the girls they want. The other top houses have some bi members, with the occasional lesbian, but they all present themselves as typical sorority girls.

Pi Phi and DPhiE would definitely be the most accepting houses, then Gamma Phi and Alpha Gam might be your next best options if you know people there. Although most sororities have some sort of diversity initiative, if you get a bid anywhere else, it’s most likely because of their diversity quota, so you might have a harder time fitting in with the rest of the chapter.

By: Honest
by: WrongJul 19, 2023 2:57:56 PM

You have no idea what you are talking about. There is no such thing as a "diversity quota" in any NPC sorority and such a thing is a violation of NPC rules.

By: Wrong
by: ^Jul 22, 2023 11:40:32 AM

Anybody who thinks that a sorority HAS TO bid anybody for any reason has clearly never been in one. There is no such thing as a "diversity quota".

By: ^
#2  by: Queen   

Kappa is getting a ton of pressure from their nationals to increase diversity. AOPi and SK also have DEI initiatives.

By: Queen
by: nopeJul 22, 2023 11:45:47 AM

DEI is education, not pressure or requirements. Easing or eliminating rec requirements to get a bid and dropping legacy preferences are part of the initiative to reduce barriers for quality pnm's. The assumptions from non-sorority people are crazy. Or maybe you're just throwing shade. With that said, if you're a dude in a dress and lipstick you can GTFO.

By: nope
#3  by: Not eligible   

Any sorority that does have a national statement about gender identity is very clear that membership is for those who identify and have been living as women. Identifying as AFAB is not that. You don't need a sorority to freely be yourself.

By: Not eligible
#4  by: stop worrying about tiers   

First off, one of your problems is caring about “tiers” it’s ridiculous and will ruin your recruitment experience. You’ll end up where you need to be. The “bottom tier” sororities offer the same experiences as the “top tier” sororities. It’s just what you make it.

By: stop worrying about tiers
#5  by: stop it   

You can call yourself whatever you want but DO NOT CALL ME CIS ANYTHING.

By: stop it
by: ewJul 21, 2023 8:49:31 PM

I swear if any PNMs I talk to use the word cis during rush convos they’ll be the easiest no vote from me no cap I’m not letting that bs invade my srat

By: ew
#6  by: Truth   

Yeah you'll end up in dphie or dropped

By: Truth
by: YesJul 21, 2023 8:44:59 PM

Either DPhiE or maybe OP can try to join AXiD and try to influence the vibe of the new sorority. Probably easier to fit in there vs making an already established chapter accept you

By: Yes
by: sureJul 22, 2023 11:37:58 AM

It will be the end of AXiD before they even get started.

By: sure
#7  by: Yeah   

Go Sig Ep

By: Yeah
by: holyJul 31, 2023 8:51:26 PM

out of pocket

By: holy

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.