facebook

Rushing as a Sophomore!

by:    

I’m rushing in the fall at UGA, but I’m wondering if being a 2nd year makes my odds of getting a bid lower. I’ve heard some people say that you aren’t at a disadvantage but I’ve also heard that you don’t have a chance due to the fact that they want freshmen. My GPA isn’t very good (3.45) due to drastic health issues interfering with spring semester, but I’m very involved I’m just curious which is true and if the rush experience will be different for me? Thanks!!

Posted By: 🪩🦩
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

hey girl! I'm gonna b completely honest with you, being a second year lowers your chances for sure. There are a set amount of spots in each sorority designated for second years (usually no more than 10). Sororities start looking at girls via social media as early as the January before rush; basically, they'll already have an idea of what second years that want! You're going to be vying for those short amount of spots against the girls the sororities might have already had their eyes on. It really is about your connections you might already have with the girls in the sororities. The only reason I have any information on this topic is because my best friend's mom's sister is a rush coach for UGA and Bama lol. She's filled me in on the process at UGA before. Regardless, there's no harm in trying! I'm sure wherever you end up, you'll be just as happy. Good luck babe!

By: hey!
by: Wrong   

You are misinformed. This is not how it works. "There are a set amount of spots in each sorority designated for second years (usually no more than 10)". No, no, no. There is an upperclassmen quota that works just like freshmen quota, the more upperclassmen that go to pref and sign their cards the more bids there will be available. Quota for each house is Number of PNM's Signing Cards divided by Number of Sororities. It is NEVER a predetermined number. Rush coaches don't tell you this because they want you to think you NEED to hire them to get a bid.

By: Wrong
#2by:    

gotta agree with the first one. im in a sorority and this is how we pick sophomores🤷‍♀️

By: eh

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: ^   

But there is still a separate quota for them that's not determined until after pref. Any house can take less than quota, but not more than, so you don't know how many spots you will have until bid matching.

By: ^
by: ^^   

is it a lesser number of sophomores than of freshman? yes. will it be slightly more difficult? probably yes. regardless, going through the process is gonna be so worth it! i think that's what everyone here agrees on lol.

By: ^^
#3by:    

Let's set the record straight. There are people commenting who are not actually in sororities here, maybe not in a sorority at all anywhere, or have not been through rush as an active sorority member. Here are the facts:

Second years almost always have an easier rush. There is only a lesser number of upperclassmen bids because there are far fewer upperclassmen going through. The commenter who explained about how quotas are set is correct. There are no predetermined smaller numbers, it's just however quota shakes out at the end. And because of the separate quotas, 2nd years don't have to compete with freshmen for spots. That is very helpful. Also social media plays a much, much smaller part for upperclassmen because they have been here a year and already know people in sororities. It's the knowing in person, from class, from dorms, from friends of friends, from being involved as OP says she has been, that give upperclassmen an edge during rush.

I know or know of at least 10 girls who bombed in rush their first year here and then had an excellent rush and got great houses the second time, or didn't rush at all and only went through as a 2nd year, because they had at least one friend in the houses pulling for them.

OP, you are not going to have a harder time just for being a second year. Rush is not exactly a breeze for anyone though. Get recs, they will help a little bit. Reach out to anyone you are friends with in sororities. They should know that you are going through so they can pull for you. Same goes for any connected guys, especially in fraternities, because they can put out the word with sorority members they know and help you out.

By: Truth
#4by:    

I know for a fact that if you rush as a sophomore then you have a significantly better chance. I know a few girls who got dropped from all of houses and are now in some of the top tier sororities. Also coming from the other side of recruitment sometimes it was nice because it gave us more things to talk about. Either way you will find where you belong and go into it with an open mind. If you need to you can also spring rush but only some sororities do that. Just don't worry, you will be fine :)

By: hey
by: yep   

There are some really great girls who don't rush well as freshmen and fall through the cracks, and then after a year they know sorority members and know what to expect in rush and really come into their own as some of the top pnm's.

By: yep
#5by:    

I don't go to UGA, but I am in a sorority at another sec school so I can give a little insight on this. I also rushed as a sophomore because I had a bad experience my freshman year. Like other commenters have said, rushing as a sophomore is all about connections. I had friends pulling for me in multiple different chapters, and I was able to get my top choice. If you don't have connections as a sophomore, then your chances of getting a bid are pretty low. This is due to the fact that sororities want girls who are going to be in the chapter for 4 years. If you have a friend pulling for you in a certain chapter though, that is all it takes for you to get a bid. Chapters will look less at your grades and social media because you have already been in college for a year and have those connections.

By: Rushed as a sophomore
#6by:    

if ur like a normal sophomore then u actually might have a higher chance at getting into a good sorority!

By: hi
#7by:    

It’s all about connections especially as a sophomore

By: Rush

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.