facebook

sororities

by: selective

how selective/competitive is aopi during rush? what about kd?

Posted By: selective
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: @ Selective   

They have two of the most selective rushes. If you don't have sisters or best friends in either house... You can forget about it! The fact that you asked this question tells what your chances of getting a bid to either one are.

By: @ Selective
#2  by: true   

The comment above is correct. Kappa Delta and Alpha Omicron Pi are both top houses. These are the houses that every girl wants during rush, and because of that they have to make harsh cuts. If you don't have connections within the house, you do not have a chance of receiving a bid. Not many people want to admit this but it's the truth... During rush it is not about your GPA, your extracurriculars, your volunteer work, your leadership roles, or the conversations that you have with actives during rush. IT IS ABOUT WHO YOU KNOW AND WHAT CONNECTIONS YOU HAVE. And I don't mean legacy status, because that will not help you earn a bid. Neither will rec letters, they don't mean anything unless they are from the president of the national chapter or something like that. And just cause you click with a girl from one of the houses during rush, it doesn't mean that they will try and get you in. It's all about knowing girls on the inside that will pull for you. NOTHING ELSE MATTERS DURING RUSH! So honestly, if you don't have connections your chances at these two houses are impossible and pretty slim everywhere else. Have a nice day!

By: true
#3  by: Well   

I know girls who didn't have a bunch of sorority connections but still got bids -- but not to the two you're asking about. I even know a girl who had amazing connections to one of them and still didn't make the cut. MOST girls who go through UGA rush do end up in a sorority, but you really have to keep an open mind here and be realistic when you rank after the rounds. Like, if you don't have connections inside KD and AOII, don't rank them high. Give those slots to sororities where your chances will be better. As for the recs, it's true they really don't help you get a bid, but please don't think about trying to rush without them. In competitive recruitments,they can be a way to help manage the numbers, or decide who gets dropped early on. The main goal of them is to try to keep you in the game past first round. Plus, some sororities nationals require them. Good luck to ya.

By: Well
#4  by: oh   

wow, this kind of makes me not want to rush! i have a good gpa and am involved in sports and clubs at my school, but don't have connections to ANY house. none of my friends at uga are greek.. should i not even try? it sounds like i won't have the best chance :/ thanks

By: oh
#5  by: Yes   

You should try! Just don't be focused on these two or any two. Girls who go in with their hopes set on just a few certain sororities, especially top houses, stand a greater chance of being disappointed. You should especially rush if you're going to be a freshman. I've seen plenty of freshmen, even OOS, with no connections end up in sororities here. Be opened minded and give it your best. If you're transferring and will be an upperclassman, it will sure be harder, though.

By: Yes
#6  by: Selective    

I will be a freshman! And I'm from Georgia. I think I will rush I'm just so nervous! Can someone tell me more about recs? Nobody in my family is greek so I'm new to all of this. What exactly do they do and are they important?

By: Selective
#7  by: Honestly   

Go to Greek Chat. Some say they're old biddies, but there's nice people, too. Sorority alums, actives, advisers, officers and UGA threads. Legit info, matches with what I've seen. It's normal to be nervous, but over 75% of girls in UGA fall formal DO get bids! Most who don't choose to drop out. As for top houses, every sorority has to drop a certain # of girls, and the more popular they are, the more they have to cut. That's why nobody should focus on JUST them. Get recs to every sorority. They're like endorsements and not having them is an easy way for sororities to make early cuts. Recs usually keep you in past first round. They come from sorority alumnae, but they don't have to be from UGA chapters. Start by asking teachers. Any woman who went to a 4-year school might have a Greek affiliation. Neighbors, friend's moms, parent's co-workers, ladies you know from church, babysitting, work, anywhere. If your mom is on Facebook, have her post that you need recs. Tons have found alums that way. Recs usually go out in summer, so you have time. You'll give alums a photo and resume that they'll send in with a form they get from their nationals website. Also, social media gets looked at, so keep it classy. Good luck and check out Greek Chat. If you post, don't give identifying info. Sororities can figure out who you are. And don't ask about specific sororities. They get riled up over that. There's so much UGA info, tho, you'll learn lots just by reading.

By: Honestly
by: PanGalNov 19, 2013 1:26:33 AM

I would say to avoid greekchat. I read some of their replies and they were beyond mean and snarky! They belittled every pnm and seemed to have a secret code about how questions should be asked. I expect some hate talk on here, but those are adults and I expected help or at least civility. I was very disappointed in how they represent greek alums.

By: PanGal
by: DependsNov 20, 2013 11:57:15 AM

Greek Chat can be a great place for help, or they can run you out. If you ask about tiers, rankings, certain sororities or act like you wouldn't be open to all sororities, they can get real snarky. They also have a term over there called "special snowflake," and if they think you're acting like one, look out. BUT if they think you're not just someone who only wants top tier, and would be open minded, they can be great. Some people over there are really nice and will help you. I know girls who got help with recs from ladies over there. I also know some girls who got early introductions to sorority members at schools that have spring previews, and it was GC ladies who made it happen. Some are pretty high up in the alum world. So, it depends over there. I'd say just read at first. Honestly is right in that there's a lot of UGA info there. If you post, do NOT ask specifically about AOII and KD. They'll drop the ax on you in no time.

By: Depends
#8  by: It's true   

A group of my friends from highschool knew a few girls in Aopi who graduated the year before us and they all got bids because of it. They're not even really rich or pretty the only thing that got them in was their connections

By: It's true
#9  by: Really   

I hope you're not only asking this because they were both on TFM's hottest sorority list....

By: Really
#10  by: Rush!   

You should definitely rush! You may not get into KD or AOII, but where you end up is where you are meant to be! I truly feel that the process works out in your favor. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't rush. The friendships that I have made made the stressful process so worth it!

By: Rush!

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.