facebook

campus

by:    

I've always thought that the University of Georgia was a predominantly conservative school, being in the south and also the SEC conference. However I have heard many people say that it's a pretty liberal school. To those who are familiar with the university - what are your thoughts on this? What type of general atmosphere is it? I always thought it to be a more conservative school with lots of southerners, however I could be wrong. I have also heard that greek students make up much of the conservative students at the school. How true is this? Not trying to stir trouble or start arguements - just curious because I'm not too familiar with the campus, and I'd like to hear opinions of those who are.

Posted By: Go dawgs
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

UGA is the flagship university of Georgia with a student population of @ 35k. The political leanings of the students would to a great degree ( not always however ) depending on your major. Ie, business, engineering and probably Greek , more conservative ; journalism, psychology, history, english, etc., more liberal. Also, even though 85% or so of students are from Ga., mostly from the Atlanta area, 50% of those kids' parents are from the north. Hope this helps u better understand this wonderful school. THE IVEY LEAGUE OF THE SOUTH. GO DAWGS !!!!!!!!!!!

By: truth

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#2by:    

UGA is the most liberal school in the SEC and maybe even the south. Lots of kids from Atlanta. Not a huge population southerners at all.

By: Liberal
#3by:    

and what is your major again ?????

#4by:    

why don't u tell us how really feel !!!!!!.
Ever thought about finding another country u like better and moving there ?

#5by:    

so uga is in the south but doesn't have many southern students with traditional southern value?? although the campus seems diverse and there are all kinds with all different beliefs i would say a majority are southern conservatives.. anyone agree??

By: southern?
by: No   

#1 was right, there's only a limited number of "true" southerners. Simply being born in the south does not qualify one as being a southerner because that person probably lacks southern culture, which is passed down from your parents. But I would agree that even though a large majority of uga students parents' are from the north, they are (surprisingly) conservative. This demographic also sums up a lot of uga'a current greek life as well, with the exception of AGR. And note- I'm not necessarily saying that this is a good/ bad thing, but it is simply a fact

By: No
#6by:    

UGA is a large enough campus where u can find most political leanings. College is the best time in ur life to hear all sides so when u leave, your opinions are more developed and well thought out. Embrace different opinions because up til now u probably think the way ur parents did. Viva the difference.

By: southner
#7by:    

I'd say most liberal would be Fl. or Vandy. Maybe Missouri

By: most liberal
#8by:    

#1 - "UGA is the flagship university of Georgia ". Cmon now, I go to Georgia but am not stupid enough to believe we're a better school than Georgia Tech or Emory. #8 is right - vandy and florida are way more liberal than us.

By: seriously
by: ^   

It's the flagship school of the Georgia system tard.... That doesn't mean best academically or something, it's an official title.

By: ^

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.