facebook

what are the chances?

by:    

Hi! I will be transferring to UGA next fall 2014 as a sophomore. I am coming from a very small college out of state, so I really don't know anybody at UGA or have connections to girls in any of the sororities. I have good grades and I am involved at my college. I am a legacy to 3 different houses (mom, sis, and grandma) but coming from out of state, not having connections, and being a sophomore do I stand a chance? Which houses are open to out of state/sophomore girls? Do they have a separate quota? I have heard that recruitment at UGA is extremely competitive, but it's something I really want to be a part of so I really want to give it a shot. Also, I know that lots of girls drop out because they do not get their top choices and I know that lots of girls get cut completely? Does this happen often? As long as you are a good candidate and keep an completely open mind do you have a good chance? Obviously there are no guarantees, but I would just like to know what my chances are. Sorry for so many questions but I would really appreciate any advice that y'all have for me!

Posted By: Anonymous
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

There is an upperclass quota (UA) so if you keep an open mind, you should have a successful rush. I went through rush five years ago but here is the information we were given for each round....
Round 1: 1265 rush, 27 withdraw, 0 released
Round 2: 1238 rush, 37 withdraw, 14 released
Round 3: 1187 rush, 117 withdraw, 28 released
Prefs: 1042 rush, 60 withdraw, 0 released

Mismatched: 41 (4%)
Pledged: 940 (74.3%)
COB: 16
Withdraw: 241 (19%)
Released: 42 (3.3%)

By: GoGreek
#2by:    

OOS and sophomores pledge here, but it's harder as a soph and sororities don't have to use the upperclassman quota. This fall, I think we had 1483 PNMs and 1178 got bids, so about 20% didn't and that's what I've seen the past couple of years. It's very competitive, but most PNMs find a sorority! Maybe 3-4% get released & the rest drop on their own.

1.) Be very open minded because all UGA sororities are great! 2.) Don't drop before pref! So many girls end up loving ones they didn't see themselves in at first, so give them every chance before you drop. 3.) Don't rank your favorites based on tiers. THIS is where I think things start going bad for some, because the more girls there are wanting a house, the more girls they have to drop. If you're really comfortable with a sorority, don't rank it lower than it should be if it doesn't happen to be top tier. Really try to find your fit.

Besides good grades and resume, keep social media classy because all sororities look. Tons of legacies rush here and a lot get dropped from those sororities because they just can't take them all, but plenty get bids. Your mom/sis/grandma should send in legacy intro forms late spring/early summer. Also, you'll need a couple of recs to every house.

Ignore the rankings and hate on this site. Good luck!

By: Hi Anonymous

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: Listen   

There are really no bottom houses here. That's just a load of crap.

By: Listen
#3by:    

I wouldn't waste my time if I were you.... Chances don't look good for you unless you want a bottom house..... But you'd be lucky to get even that far......I can't think of one house that would take you as an out of state sophomore especially not knowing anyone... Seriously you have like no chances

By: Nope
#4by:    

No. Sorry that's just the reality of it. To all the people saying to "go for it" name one house that would take someone in this situation. Don't mean to be harsh but honestly your chances are extremely slim/non existent.

By: Well
by: possible   

my big sister pledged as a junior a few years ago, so it is possible

By: possible
by: pearls of wisdom   

possible, your sister is the exception and not the rule. congrats to her on being able to make it...as you said, it is possible but upperclassmen have it much harder and it's certainly a rough road

By: pearls of wisdom
#5by:    

You need to do 7 things:

(1) get good grades in college (as high as possible, definitely >3.5)

(2) get very involved in campus so you have leadership experiences to talk about during recruitment (don't expect high school activities to count for anything if you're going through recruitment as a sophomore)

(3) hone your social skills so that you can present yourself in the best way (pleasant/classy manner is the way to go)

(4) get the best recommendations possible

(5) physically present yourself int he best manner (nice make up, nice hair, nice outfits--look well put together)

(6) be open-minded enough to trust the process and that you will end up where you are meant to (if you are meant to) and give every house more than a fair chance because you are certainly not guaranteed a bid

(7) don't tie getting into a sorority to your self-esteem just in case it doesn't work out

By: pearls of wisdom
#6by:    

One scenario that I have seen happen a few times with friends or other people I know is this: let's say a very qualified upperclasswoman is rushing at a competitive school such as UGA with five chapters (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Eta). Alpha, Beta and Gamma are competitive chapters and Delta and Eta are less competitive.

After round #1, each woman has to narrow it down to 3 chapters. Based on her outstanding resume, grades, etc. she may be invited back to Alpha, Beta and Gamma for the next round. Therefore she drops Delta and Eta. For the next round, however, Alpha, Beta and Gamma decide cut the vast majority of upperclasswomen and our PNM is one of them. She has no bid. Delta and Eta may have been extremely excited to have her.

In this example, the upperclasswoman maximized her options, they were just the wrong ones. I'd keep that in mind if I were you.

By: just fyi
by: Real truth   

This scenario is common and goes with what #2 said about not ranking by tiers. OOS, sophomore, not knowing anyone are big strikes and you'll be up against mostly freshmen with good GPAs/resumes, too, and lots of them in-state who know sorority members from high school. I know sophomores who have gotten bids, but they were current students, knew members and were already involved at UGA. Be real and know your options will be limited, and not being open to all sororities will kill it.

Every sorority has great members and things to offer, but some are more in demand and some PNMs get caught up in tiers. If you've got recs and grades, you'll likely get through early rounds, but harder cuts come later. After every round, you'll rank sororities based on your interest in getting return invites. A lot of girls rank more competitive sororities higher, meaning those sororities have to cut more, including plenty of total package freshmen and legacies. Just be honest about your odds of being kept around by those houses, given your stats.

Ignore tent talk and really look at sororities that aren't as high on everyone's radar. They're big, have great members, philanthropy and social events, too, so find favorites among them, rank realistically and let them know you like them. Remember, it's about finding a sisterhood and being part of UGA's Greek system, not the most popular crowd in high school. Be smart in ranking and I hope it goes your way!

By: Real truth
by: No worries   

Once you have a college GPA, that's all that get looked at. That's what you'll use when you register, and when GPAs are sent to sororities, they'll see whatever UGA has when you transfer.

By: No worries
#7by:    

Wow, thank you all for the responses! I really appreciate all of the advice. I checked out the websites of all of the sororities to get familiar with them and learn about philanthropy, sisterhood, events, etc. and they all seem really great! I am not set on being in a top house, honestly I would be happy to be apart of any of the houses, even what is considered as "bottom tier" on this website. I think I could find girls I love in every house so I will definitely be keeping an open mind if I choose to go through recruitment! I do have one more question... My high school gpa and test scores were not where I would have liked them to be, but my college gpa and activities/leadership is good. Would I even have to submit my high school info? If so, how important is that to them? Thank you all again so much for your help!

By: Anonymous
by: ...   

Your attitude sounds like it's in the right place, so that's good. I wish people could say everyone has the same chances, but in these big SEC recruitments, it's just not the way it is. Knowing how the system works and being real when it's time to rank will be important in helping you find a place.

Also, I know sometimes when people transfer, they lose hours or have to take more classes for their major, which means they graduate a semester or so later than originally thought. If this is the case for you, mention in conversation that you'll be around a little longer and will have more time to give to the chapter. The alums who do your recs can also mention that. Good luck!

By: ...
#8by:    

I'm a little confused when hearing "be honest/real about chances when ranking." If I understand correctly.. Does that mean not ranking only top houses high on the list, but instead middle/lower houses where I'm more likely to recieve a bid? It makes sense, I just want to make sure I understand correctly what you all mean when you say that. I know that there are no guarantees and I intend to keep a completely open mind throughout the process, but which houses are known for being more accepting of out of state transfers? Which houses should I expect a cut from because of that? Like I said I know nothing is guaranteed and nobody can say for sure, but it would help to have a bit of an idea. I don't want to fall in love with houses just to find out I never had a good chance. Thanks!

By: Anonymous
#9by:    

It basically means you don't really have a chance but if you decide to go through rank all the bottom houses first and your chances won't be so bad.

By: Lol

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.