facebook

snaps

by: confused

Could someone tell me how snap bids work? I've been hearing about them but I'm unclear as to what they are.

Posted By: confused
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Ashley   

My sorority hasnt had to snap bid but this is how I understand it...
If a sorority does not meet quota or has a low membership after the regular matching process, the sorority can offer bids to the PNMs that did not match during the regular matching process. The PNMs who are eligible are the ones that attended all pref parties and listed all pref houses on their card but did not match, and PNMs that were released before prefs. I am not sure if the PNMs that chose to drop out of rush are eligible for snap bids or not since they quit the process early. The sororities got the lists last night so the houses that didnt make their numbers are making snap bid calls today before the formal Bid Day event.

By: Ashley
#2  by: No   

You said: PNMs who are eligible are the ones that attended all pref parties and listed all pref houses on their card but did not match

Not correct. Those are quota additions. That happens within the regular matching process and you never know you were really a QA because you get your bid with everyone else.

Snap bids are only for people who drop out or are dropped before preference who who drop out after the pref parties and don't hand in a bid card. Snap bids know they are snaps because they get contacted and asked if they want a bid.

Snap bidding is not that common and is usually very small numbers and often for weaker houses who girls didn't want in the first place.

By: No
#3  by: ...   

^^^^^ This is right, and those who voluntarily dropped out are not eligible to receive snap bids. Also, because snaps are given before the actual Bid Day activities, others in the new pledge class don't know that someone was a snap.

By: ...
#4  by: ...   

Sorry, # 2 posted before I got mine in. Are you sure girls who drop out are eligible? I always thought snaps could only go to those who maximized their options.

by: ...Aug 12, 2013 12:42:33 PM

and not challenging you -- just really thought that was the way they worked.

by: SnapsAug 12, 2013 2:16:31 PM

Yes, that's what the NPC Green Book says. Really the only ones not eligible are the ones who don't maximize their options when handing in their ranking after preference parties or PNMs who for some reason decided not to attend all their parties or otherwise not follow the rules.

A person will know she's a snap bid, but usually others will not unless she decides to tell them. (Or for instance girls on her hall who know she didn't complete recruitment and then she suddenly ends up with a bid.) Really the only other way people would know you're a snap is if the sorority has a hard time filling those spots so you end up there after bid day festivities for some reason.

By: Snaps

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.