facebook

rushing

by:    

Hi, I'm thinking about rushing one of the historically black sororities. I know they are historically black, but if I'm white is it ok to rush? Is there any realistic chance of me becoming a sister despite my race??

Posted By: Confused
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

Yes, it's ok to rush and yes, it's realistic.

I actually talked to a girl in one of the Divine Nine sororities not too long ago about this. She said that there's no "just black" clauses or anything like that.

By: hi
by: Um   

Are the divine nine (in no particular order)
Delta Gamma
Alpha Gamma Delta
Sigma Kappa
Chi O
Tri Delt
Pi Phi
Gamma Phi Beta
DZ
SDT

By: Um
by: Huh?   

I thought the Divine Nine included several black fraternities and sororities.

By: Huh?
by: @Um   

The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) is a collaborative organization of nine historically African American, international Greek lettered fraternities and sororities. The nine NPHC organizations are sometimes collectively referred to as the "Divine Nine".

THESE are actually The Divine Nine (in order of founding date):

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity

By: @Um
#2by:    

Do any of them actually have white members?

#3by:    

But really

By: Great post
#4by:    

Sorry about that earlier post when I named those sororities. I didn't understand what the divine nine was.

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: Did you..   

Did you think "The Divine 9" referred to sororities that have black members?? lol

By: Did you..
#5by:    

Why do you want to join a historically black sorority? Granted, they have a long and proud history, amazing alumnae and only want very impressive women with strong character and standards. So...if you want to join them just to make some kind of a point or statement connected to race, don't waste their time. Their purpose is so much deeper and their expectations so much higher. Besides, they'll see through your motives anyway.

I call troll. This is another post about Greek Life and race. They're just trying a different angle.

By: Curious...
by: yeah   

They're pulling the "if I can't join a black organization why should I let them join mine"

By: yeah
#6by:    

Um... You should read, think and then post. You obviously forgot the "think" part. We can guess you are not one of the Panhellenic sororities you listed. I just hope you are not a sister in My sorority. Key is THINK before you post and THINK before you speak.

By: Well..
by: @Well..   

Good post!

Except I would guess that "Um" is in one of the houses she listed, since she labeled it as "divine" with no reason or rhyme. ;)

By: @Well..

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.