facebook

sorority numbers

by: gh

I know it probably varies some but what is the average number of girls in the sororities at UGA?

Posted By: gh
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Weirdo   

Campus total is 278 - (chapter avg)

By: Weirdo
by: LolNov 7, 2017 7:32:33 PM

And most chapters are probably around 250 at any given time, especially as the year goes on

By: Lol
by: So,Nov 7, 2017 8:32:49 PM

In January, will all the chapters then offer bids to bring their membership back up to chapter total?

By: So,
by: .Nov 8, 2017 6:59:25 AM

Some chapters are way over 278, some just below and some way below (SDT, DPhiE, APhi). Some may choose to COB, others are fine at 250ish

By: .
by: So,Nov 8, 2017 10:38:41 AM

which chapters are way over campus total?

By: So,
by: UmNov 8, 2017 8:20:46 PM

I thought sororities weren't allowed to be over chapter total? I'm in a mid tier house so we don't struggle to meet quota, but we never take more than chapter total. I thought it was a Mac number set to keep all sororities around the same size

By: Um
by: @ umNov 9, 2017 12:44:11 PM

that's only the case for COB. If you're under chapter total, you can COB up to total, but not over, but you can be over when it's set if that's how many sisters you already have. Different schools set total different ways, too.

By: @ um
by: where's the beefNov 9, 2017 1:16:10 PM

^^^ Correct - but all campuses follow the NPC Manual of Information (MOI). If not sure how it work, consult your chapter exec. They should have a copy. You can also Google it. Search for the 2017 revision. It also has all the rules regarding COB, formal recruitment, setting total, etc.

A lot of members have no idea what this is and make up rules and policy from campus lore without know the facts.

Educate yourself people.

By: where's the beef
#2  by: gh   

What are the totals for SDT, DPhie, and APhi? Just wondering.

By: gh
by: sorority numbersNov 8, 2017 9:01:16 AM

Alpha Phi 150 or less
SDT 150-200
DPhiE a little over 200

By: sorority numbers
#3  by: gh   

Do the numbers have anything to do with those being called "lower tier"?

by: chapter sizesNov 8, 2017 2:20:28 PM

Nope. This is a ranking by size based on the spring 2017 grade report:
AOII/Phi Mu
ADPi
DDD/ZTA
KD
AGD/DZ
ChiO
GPhi
Pi Phi
DG
Theta
AXO/SK
Kappa
DPhiE
SDT

By: chapter sizes
by: HuhNov 8, 2017 8:25:13 PM

Does anyone know why Kappa is so small? Do they have problems with retention or do they just not take many PNMs?

By: Huh
by: numbersNov 12, 2017 9:38:06 AM

does that mean those at the top of this list will not be giving bids in the spring?

By: numbers
by: ghNov 12, 2017 1:57:05 PM

I don't think so. Maybe not as likely though to feel like giving COBs.

#4  by: numbers   

According to the Panhellenic sorority grade ranks from spring 2017, the numbers ranged from 156 to 274. The average is about 245. Of course, the numbers could be different this year with the addition of a new sorority and consequently possible changes in quotas.

By: numbers
by: ?Nov 8, 2017 8:16:41 PM

Record setting quote of 75 drove up total, so chapters that have high returning numbers for fall + 75 could very well exceed 278. A few chapters could have close to 300. Remember, 278 is the avg. you have DPhiE and SDT that are 200 or less.

By: ?
by: yepNov 9, 2017 1:34:45 PM

Chapter total last year was 268. Quota of 75 from Fall recruitment drove up the avg and Panhellenic raised total to 278. Chapters below total were allowed to COB to reach total if they wanted.

If you look at the chapter number stats from above, if PhiMu/AOPi didn't graduate that many women from Spring to Fall (not sure if they did or not) and they added 75 PNMs, then they could easily be 300 or more.

The additional of two new chapters in the past few years was to lower total so the chapters could be more manageable in size - that is why Panhellenic voted for extension. As long as recruitment numbers don't go crazy over the next few years like this year, then campus total should slowly go back down. Sorority membership at UGA grew by 1100+ members since 2011. Campus total in 2011 was 180 with avg 196. I'm sure once the Fall 2017 stats come out, it will show an even greater increase than last year. I'm pretty sure panhellenic doesn't wan to be the next Bama or Ole Miss with huge chapters. Also, pretty sure House Corps don't want to continue to expand house to accommodate growing chapters. Dining rooms and chapter rooms can only hold so many members...

By: yep
#5  by: @close   

I think you are way off about Alpha Phi's numbers. They have a lot more than 110. Probably closer to 200.

By: @close
by: Lollipop Nov 9, 2017 7:37:49 AM

My roommate is a member of APhi and she says about 175. They have added some in COB and a few have dropped.

By: Lollipop
by: LolNov 12, 2017 6:49:03 PM

How many times have the done cob this semester? Also I know 5 girls who joined alpha phi and 3 of them already dropped. But new chapters always have issues with retention because girls join after getting cut from other houses and girls join who chose not to rush initially because they weren't sure if they wanted to be in a sorority at all. Add that to the work of building a chapter from the ground up, and it's just not what a lot of girls feel like they signed up for. But none of that is specific to alpha phi - it just happens to every new colony at first.

By: Lol

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.