facebook

should i accept my bid?

by:    

I only had one pref invite - DPhiE. I didn't really feel like I connected with them at all during the week and didn't like the girl I talked to at pref round. Should I accept my bid or should I just wait until next fall and rush again? Also if I don't accept the bid, it's still too late to be eligible for COB/Alpha Phi's colonization this year, right?

Posted By: ???
Page 1 of 2
#1by:    

I'm not exactly sure how it works but I'm in the same situation as you OP. I think we're too late to be able to do COB since we went to pref and didn't get released. I'll probably go to their bid day stuff and decide whether or not to drop based on how the other DPhiEs seem now that recruitment is over

By: Same...
by: no.    

You're eligible for COB if you drop out after pref without signing your pref card.

By: no.
#2by:    

If y'all drop or don't accept your bid, you're still ineligible from any recruitment events until next year. If you decide not to go with DPhiE, keep in mind that as sophomores who already did formal recruitment once, you'll probably need to have good friends in another chapter pulling for you if you want a better result than this year.

By: Sorry
#3by:    

Ladies, the chapter is what you make of it. If you want to like it, you will. If you go in thinking it is crap, then you will have a bad time. Be the change you want to see. Imagine next year at formal recruitment being part of that house and sharing your change of heart!!!

By: Alum
by: Same...   

I kept an open mind during recruitment, I just really wanted a chapter where I could live in the house with the rest of my pledge class. I also really wanted that stereotypical sorority experience. DPhiE is the one chapter that can't offer me those things so it's hard to be that optimistic especially since they're so new and have such inconsistent types of people.

by: advice   

Also just read your follow up comment. Don't pledge alpha phi if you want the stereotypical sorority experience.

My best friend was a Gamma Phi founder at UF and while it's a very rewarding experience, it takes so much work and you don't feel like you're getting the typical sorority experience, at least for the first year and a half.

By: advice

@advice I haven't really considered alpha phi for that reason (and from what people have told me I wouldn't even be eligible this year). If I end up not sticking with DPhiE, do you think I would have a good chance of getting a bid anywhere else next year?

by: Guest   

You can't be a colony member for alpha phi either, or COB or do anything else for s year. You might as well try DPE and if you really hate it then drop before you initiate.

Honestly, unless something changes drastically like you make a huge group of friends in one sorority or become famous or something, things won't go any better as a sophomore. Many sororities have a once cut always cut policy. The tribe has spoken.

By: Guest
#4by:    

I was in a similar situation as you, although it was with another chapter here that isn't ranked all that high.

I was stunned when my current chapter showed up on my bid card because I totally had a rush crush and connection with another house.

My best friend convinced me to at least just go to bid night so that i wasn't crying in my dorm feeling sorry for myself.

And you know what? I'm so happy I did. It took a couple of weeks for me to feel like I was happy in my house but now I couldn't imagine my life without it.

Not sure what the rules are regarding the alpha phi colony but keep in mind that you could get rejected from the colony. I don't want to discourage you but alpha phi is known to be extremely picky in who they pick for colony founders.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

By: advice
by: Guest   

She is bound to the chapter who gave her a bid for an entire year. She is not eligible to join alpha phi or cob anyone else

By: Guest
#5by:    

If you want to be in a sorority, please don't pass up this chance simply because the grass might be greener next year. It is very likely that you would get a similar or worse result (women who do well as upperclassmen generally didn't rush as freshmen, from my experience). If you signed a bid card yesterday, you're not eligible for Alpha Phi. Give DPhiE a try and see what happens.

By: Go Greek
#6by:    

A lot of the newer girls in dphie are really cute and fun, but if you are already this judgemental maybe you shouldn't even be a part of a sorority at all. There are different girls in all the chapters here... don't go into it with a a bad attitude from the start.

By: .....but
by: Um   

To be fair, that's not entirely accurate. DPhiE is still a very mixed bag. They have some great girls and others who got released from every other house. After reading these comments, I feel like OP and @same... should both give them a chance at bid day, but also be on the lookout to figure out what they're really like before making a decision.

By: Um
by: ....@but   

And what's wrong with girls who get cut from every house but 1 or almost all houses? I faced horrible cuts freshman year and I'm bubbly, cute and not socially awkward. I'm from a tiny town in virginia though so who knows if that was a factor. stop implying there is something wrong with girls who face tons of cuts because that could apply to a lot of girls reading GR and it makes it way worse.

to OP: i'm sorry that you faced a lot of cuts but please don't let that ruin your UGA experience. there are a lot of fabulous girls too who also faced heavy cuts for reasons beyond our control

By: ....@but
#7by:    

Give them a chance. They've improved a lot in the past year so I bet they'll continue to improve.

If you hate it, you can drop later. You don't have anything to lose since you can't accept a bid for another year anyway.

By: I say
#8by:    

Do you think this clique mentality from high school lasts past college? It doesn't. Sisterhood of any kind is valuable. I see greek life as proof that you can get along with others, compromise, and have leadership.

Snap out if your poisonous mindset and get happy. Be happy! This is an awesome opportunity.

By: Alum
#9by:    

did you go to bid day?

By: so...

I went to bid day. No idea what OP did. It was alright but not that great. The girl I was paired with didn't really have much to talk about so I left pretty early. I'm gonna give it at least a week before I drop to make sure I'm making the right choice.

by: really   

"Left pretty early," doesn't sound like you're following rules nor appear to be a fit for sorority life.

By: really
#10by:    

This makes me so sad that girls are so quick to judge. I have a relative that went through recruitment as a freshman and it didn't work out in her favor. She survived. At the start of sophomore year she saw this new sorority coming to campus and decided to give it a try. She became a founder and was in a leadership role quickly. These two items alone will impact her resume in a far more positive way than being in another sorority as a member only. You begin college to open your eyes and take on all that you are allowed. It's a shame that so many are closing the door to an amazing opportunity in DPhiE. Wonderful group of very real girls.

By: MSK

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.