facebook

two prefs

by: Thoughts?

What are your thoughts on the two pref system? Who did it benefit? Who did it hurt? Was it easier or harder on PNM's?

Posted By: Thoughts?
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: rough at first   

Moving from three to two prefs will hurt the weaker recruiting chapters initially. Last year, girls stayed in the process if they liked one of their three preference chapters. It was not uncommon for a girl to be going to a middle house like Pi Phi or AXO but have two chapters they didn't care for but they stuck with the process because because they had hope. Preference either changed their mind and one of the other chapters grew on them and it all turned out ok. But there were a lot of girls who suicided and it didn't work out.

This year may be odd, I suspect quite a few chapters will have to snap bid or COB this year due to the change.

By: rough at first
#2  by: Stupid    

It is awful. Cuts were brutal this year. I see many mid and top chapters doing snaps and cob. It is the worst for girls who suicide but in that situation I understand it. With 3 choices it is easy to see your self in at least 2 of the houses.

By: Stupid
by: WonderingAug 13, 2017 2:47:45 PM

Can someone explain the difference in snap bid and Cob?

By: Wondering
by: .Aug 13, 2017 3:01:50 PM

Snap bid is extending a bid after pref but before bid day if the chapter has not met quota. Very few people are to know this this is even happening except maybe pnm and recruitment chair. COB is extending a bid after bid day to fill chapter total. Mostly used by lesser performing chapters in formal recruitment and additional chapters in Spring of senior graduations open up spots below chapter total

By: .
by: .Aug 13, 2017 3:41:34 PM

From MOI, 2017 Edition

SNAP BIDDING
Snap bidding is an option only for chapters that did not match to quota.
• Chapters should have a prepared list of women they would bid should they not be match to quota during bid
matching.
• The recruitment chairman or the recruitment advisor of each chapter not matching to quota will be noti ed to
submit their snap bid list to the fraternity/sorority advisor.
• The procedure is used only to ll quota spaces.
• All potential new members who attended at least one event during primary recruitment are eligible for snap bid-
ding.
• Women listing intentional single preferences on their membership recruitment acceptance binding agreement
(MRABA) are eligible for snap bidding.
• The fraternity/sorority advisor works with the chapters not matching to quota, and either the fraternity/sorority
advisor or a Panhellenic o cer contacts the potential new members to extend snap bid invitations.
• A potential new member may be o ered more than one snap bid. For this reason it is advisable for the fraternity/
sorority advisor or a Panhellenic o cer to contact the potential new member, and it is important for the potential
new member to understand that she is receiving more than one opportunity to pledge if that should be the case.
• During this time the Panhellenic monitors who has accepted the snap bids and presents the MRABA for the potential
new member to sign.

CONTINUOUS OPEN BIDDING
Each NPC sorority chapter has the right to COB to reach quota o

by: .Aug 13, 2017 3:42:06 PM

From MOI, 2017 Edition

SNAP BIDDING
Snap bidding is an option only for chapters that did not match to quota.
• Chapters should have a prepared list of women they would bid should they not be match to quota during bid
matching.
• The recruitment chairman or the recruitment advisor of each chapter not matching to quota will be noti ed to
submit their snap bid list to the fraternity/sorority advisor.
• The procedure is used only to ll quota spaces.
• All potential new members who attended at least one event during primary recruitment are eligible for snap bid-
ding.
• Women listing intentional single preferences on their membership recruitment acceptance binding agreement
(MRABA) are eligible for snap bidding.
• The fraternity/sorority advisor works with the chapters not matching to quota, and either the fraternity/sorority
advisor or a Panhellenic o cer contacts the potential new members to extend snap bid invitations.
• A potential new member may be o ered more than one snap bid. For this reason it is advisable for the fraternity/
sorority advisor or a Panhellenic o cer to contact the potential new member, and it is important for the potential
new member to understand that she is receiving more than one opportunity to pledge if that should be the case.
• During this time the Panhellenic monitors who has accepted the snap bids and presents the MRABA for the potential
new member to sign.

CONTINUOUS OPEN BIDDING
Each NPC sorority chapter has the right to COB to reach quota o

by: .Aug 13, 2017 3:43:08 PM

CONTINUOUS OPEN BIDDING
Each NPC sorority chapter has the right to COB to reach quota or its total allowable chapter Unanimous size during the regular school year as de ned by the school calendar. To accommodate a chapter Agreement colonization or to allow a chapter to build its membership, the College Panhellenic Council may vote
to suspend COB for a period not to exceed three weeks. The start and end dates for the COB moratorium must be set by a vote of the College Panhellenic, preferably during the academic term prior to implementing the moratorium. The College Panhellenic should consider the need for chapters not at quota or total to have up to one week to ll vacant spaces through COB before the moratorium begins.
COB is not intended to precede or take the place of the primary membership recruitment period, nor should there be a COB process prior to the start of fall primary membership recruitment.
The purpose of COB is to enable those chapters that did not pledge to quota or pledged quota but did not reach total, to pledge additional new members immediately following the primary membership recruitment period. The intent of COB is to provide maximum opportunities for membership to the greatest number of chapters possible.
On campuses with deferred (second term) membership recruitment, any COB prior to the scheduled membership recruitment period should be limited to upperclass and transfer women. Freshmen women should not attend these recruitment functions. COB would not be open to freshmen until after the primary membership recruitment period, as
provided for in the Unanimous Agreement III. The Panhellenic Compact.

#3  by: Snap v. COB   

Snap Bids: A sorority sends in their list of girls for bids (ranked 1 through last for girls that attended their pref). Quota is 75 (random number). Of the girls on their bid list, only 71 matched to the sorority. At that point, the sorority recruitment chair can offer "snap bids" to four girls who were previously dropped from recruitment (including dropped by that chapter), AS LONG AS THE GIRL IN QUESTION DID NOT SUICIDE AT PREF. Also, girls who voluntarily dropped because they were not happy with their choices are not eligible. This happens before bids are handed out. (I know several girls who got bids this way. Most got dropped right before pref. One went through recruitment with no recommendations, as she signed up at the last minute). Unless you have told everyone you got dropped, no one will really know.

COB (continuous open bidding: Occurs after all bids are handed out. If a chapter does not meet quota, they can have informal events, or just reach out to girls who did not go through recruitment/did not pledge, and extend bids till they reach quota. In the spring, chapters can do COB if they have girls graduate, leave the chapter, if they fall below the average size of the sororities on campus. That is usually pretty rare and usually very informal.

By: Snap v. COB
by: WonderingAug 13, 2017 3:12:31 PM

Thanks, but I have one more question regarding snap: Considering everyone who "maximizes" their options will receive a bid, and the fact that a girl who suicides is not eligible for snap, and a girl who voluntarily dropped maybe after third because she didn't like her choices isn't eligible for snap, then who is eligible? Just the girls who literally got cut from everywhere? That seems like very few people would even be eligible for snap. Is that correct?

I guess specifically, I was wondering about a girl who received third party card and voluntarily dropped. Is she eligible for snap?

By: Wondering
by: NPCAug 13, 2017 4:27:19 PM

Girls who dropped out on their own before signing their bid card are also eligible for snaps.

By: NPC
by: ReadAug 13, 2017 5:49:52 PM

Read the MOI, girls that intentionally single preferences (suicides) can receive a snap bid

By: Read
#4  by: What?   

A pnm definitely knows if she was a snap bid because she didn't go to a pref. I mean being snapped shouldn't be embarrassing. I wouldn't go out my way to tell my pledge class

By: What?
#5  by: D   

Two preferences give PNMs realistic expectations of their results. It has no effect on the quota formula or return rates.

Much easier to accept a bid to your second choice than your last choice.

By: D
by: --Aug 13, 2017 6:25:44 PM

Definitely a good psychological difference when there are only two!

By: --
#6  by: Me    

Also, in a 3 pref system, something like 95% of pnms get their 1st or 2nd choice. A lot of schools have gone back to 2 pref parties in the last year or two for this reason.

By: Me

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.