facebook

why is sigma chi not considered old row?

by:    

I know Fiji got kicked off for a good while in the 19XXs, so they lose Old Row status but why is Sigma Chi considered "New Row" if they were around since 1870s and only got kicked off during the 90s? Do they take public school kids like Fiji does or what?

Im not SX just FYI but from what I can understand, cool new house DT, good alumni base, lots of moneyed ATL private school dudes, and good parties/sorority connections etc. seems they get more hate than I see them deserving.

I only know a few of them so just wondering. My fraternity is considered New Row too so just wondering.

Also, in a similar vein, what happened to Phi Delt over the years to become what they are now? They've been here long as KA basically.

Posted By: Uga
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

Fiji was never kicked off campus. They were originally founded in 1871. As with most fraternities in that era, schools developed anti-fraternity policies and chapters closed or went sub-rosa for several years. Fiji was sun-rosa for a few years but eventually faded away. Fiji came back to campus in the late 1960's and have been a successful chapter with a strong alumni base since the 80's. They are highly involved with a variety of campus activities and leadership roles.

Sigma Chi was founded in 1872 and was shut down after a few years due to the anti-fraternity policies and was re-chartered in 1910 from a local fraternity called UPL that had been founded in the 1890's. After re-chartering, the chapter was extremely strong for decades with members involved in athletics, student government, IFC and campus honor and secret societies, Due to violations of university policy in the early 1990's, they closed and were re-chartered again in 1996. They have been involved in campus since that time in SGA, IFC, UGA Athletics, Arch Society, Greek Horsemen, Gridiron, Blue Key, ODK, Foundation Fellows, Leonard Scholars, and the Honors Program, just to name a few.

This OR and NR designation is just crap. There was no such designation in the 80's. Stolen from Bama and hyped up beyond belief. I'm pretty sure Chi Phi has been off campus more than they have been on campus due to campus suspension for bad behavior. They do have a nice house though. Better than that dump on Lumpkin

By: Sighhhhh

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#2by:    

KS PKP and ATO all used to be top houses but died and then other houses filled the void. Its what always happens. It seems KS is already a respected house but not great yet. ATO is great but not top. PKP is slipping hard but when they return theyll be respected after a few years.

OX lambda and pike are respected and good but not great all used to be great houses. Its just the cycle.

Idk why SX and Fiji arent old row but they arent. Obviously a step below the top 3 but when one of those 3 goes down theyll have their shot.

By: Yeah.
by: MilledgeNeighbor    

The Lamb Chop house is a dump, though at a great location. I can't believe their powerful alumni haven't raised money for a new one.

By: MilledgeNeighbor
by: i agree   

yea i don't get why half of the fraternities here don't get new houses/major renovations. Most of the fraternities have rich and powerful alum but a lot of the chapter houses are crumbling. Alabama is doing it, why can't we?

By: i agree

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.