facebook

discrimination investigation

by: Interesting...

There is an investigation ungergoing where a highly involved high gpa student was let go from 17 of the 18 sororities last year. Sororities are under strict scrutiny this year with rush and are promoted to take on more minority students. What do y'all think abt this?

Posted By: Interesting...
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: True   

I'm from a top sorority and I know we are looking into accepting more minorities this yr

By: True
#2  by: .   

Ultimately, chapters are private organizations. The university nor Panhellenic can mandate who chapters accept as members. They can educate, enlighten and inform, but membership is chosen by the chapter.

By: .
by: ExactlyJul 6, 2017 10:03:17 AM

Does it really make sense to have these clubs be 100% self-selected, but then "investigate" them for not being diverse enough? Same goes for when AGD was suspended around 2000 because a disgruntled member told the administration that she was cut for being black. I guess UGA just took it as a huuuuge coincidence that every single other house cut her as well.

UGA needs to either cut all connection to these clubs and let them be totally self-sufficient, or else accept that they will probably remain mostly white which might be a bad look for diversity.

By: Exactly
by: ExactlyJul 6, 2017 10:04:27 AM

I mean the disgruntled member said that a PNM was cut for being black. To clarify

By: Exactly
#3  by: Ridiculous   

This post is utterly ridiculous. We go to UGA. Practically every girl that goes through recruitment has a really high GPA and is very involved or they never would have gotten in to Georgia! Granted, some candidates are more outstanding than others, but nearly every one is a high quality girl. This "investigation" story is rubbish!

By: Ridiculous
by: ^^Jul 4, 2017 2:06:50 AM

Agreed 100%. This is fake news.

By: ^^
#4  by: What   

When did it happened?

By: What
#5  by: Oh   

Bump

By: Oh
#6  by: Welp   

I'm white and I had great grades, AP classes, great activities, a varsity athlete, and want to be humble but I'm told all the time that I'm beautiful. And I was swiftly cut from all but the so-called bottom two houses (this was before DPhiE). So I don't know if this was about being a minority or not……

By: Welp

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.