facebook

fraternity summer rush

by: confused

I'm sure it has been asked before, but I'm confused about summer rush. I'm not from the state of Georgia, and I don't know anybody in Greek Life, how can I get rush some good fraternities? The only thing I have read on here before is that out of state kids should do some summer thing called freshco. What does that mean, how would it help, and do I have a decent chance at rushing solid fraternities not coming from Georgia?

Posted By: confused
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: yep   

freshco is summer school in the month of july and you have already missed the boat for that. if you're from a good area of the country you'll get contacted

By: yep
by: confusedJun 10, 2017 10:10:26 PM

What do you mean if I am from a good area of the country?

By: confused
#2  by: yea   

I'd say the top 10ish fraternities will already have their complete pledge classes filled out by the time you get to school. Then the upper mid- mid tier will be mostly filled up but there will be room to squeeze you in if you're cool. I wouldn't worry too much about it honestly. If you're worried about the popularity of your house, you're doing it wrong(just don't end up with a house like dtd, chi psi, phi tau, tke or you will have no social life). If the house has anywhere over 80 brothers you will have plenty of friends and meet plenty of girls and have socials regularly. I'm an out of state kid from up north and I ended up in a pretty good house so there's nothing really to worry about, just be yourself.

By: yea
by: confusedJun 10, 2017 10:12:59 PM

Thanks for that. So if I had done the freshco program I would have had a better chance as an out of state kid to join some of the top fraternities? In the fall will there still be fraternities taking members like me who couldn't come during the summer?

by: yesJun 11, 2017 10:45:25 AM

yea freshco would've helped you out alot but youll still be fine. Like i said, if you're cool you'll still end up in a good house. The top ones will be all filled out but theres still plenty of great places you can end up. Like I said, just stay away from places like dtd, phi tau, chi psi, phi psi, zbt, tke, phi kappa theta, sigma pi and you'll be fine. Majority of the fraternities here are a blast, even the less popular ones like pike, theta chi, phi delt, lambda chi etc...

By: yes
by: confusedJun 11, 2017 4:24:59 PM

Thanks. Out of curiosity how would freshco have helped so much?

by: Not Quite TrueJun 11, 2017 6:18:45 PM

SAE and KA draw largely from legacies and predominately from the state of Georgia and the South.

But other top fraternities (Sigma Chi, Fiji, ATO, etc.) - while they may have filled almost all of their fall pledge class by the formal rush starts - ARE looking out for any sharp out-of-staters that they may not have met.

Frankly, I'd call or email the rush chairman of any fraternity you might be interested in (see UGA IFC web site) and let them know ur coming through and are interested. They'll probably ask for a resume; recs couldn't hurt (alumni basically expect legacies to at least get a second look.)

By: Not Quite True
by: confusedJun 12, 2017 11:55:56 AM

not quite true: thanks for the response. Do the fraternities you mentioned (Sigma Chi, fiji, ato) fill most of their class during the summer? Still not understanding how freshco would have helped me coming from out of state though, could anyone explain?

by: dawgJun 12, 2017 12:27:54 PM

You would have started taking classes this summer rather than the fall. You would have had the opportunity to meet fraternity members that are in Athens recruiting with summer rush functions, gone out to bars, etc. It would have given you a few months head start.

By: dawg
by: cmon kidJun 12, 2017 2:56:52 PM

cmon kid. Just sign up for rush and let itself play out. You'll end up where you belong.

By: cmon kid
#3  by: dumb   

stop asking questions on greekrank damn. if you're so concerned about being in one certain fraternity you probably won't get in it. just chill and enjoy the ride

By: dumb

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.