facebook

how does fraternity rush work?

by:    

I'm clueless. I'm from California and am going to UGA next year, can anyone help explain it to me?

Posted By: Georgia
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

well you're definitely at a disadvantage because the best fraternities do most of their rushing during the summer. My advice is to sign up for rush on IFCs website and that'll give all the fraternities access to your contact info. from there you'll have some fraternities text you about coming out. you're going to have to go out with them while you're in town for orientation so you don't limit your options during formal rush after you move in because thats when the bad fraternities pick up the scraps. going to orientation hungover will suck but its better than having to settle. do some research and choose your top 2 fraternities from the ones that texted you by the time you come for orientation and go out with them while you're in town, 1 each night. maybe have a backup fraternity if you have an awful time somewhere. look at the way fraternities are ranked on here to give you an idea. none of them are very accurate but you can definitely use it to figure out which are on the upper end and which are on the lower end. chapter size is generally another way determining quality. if they give you a bid, you can accept it and have your spot locked up for the fall or "hold", which basically means deferring at the time so you can continue rushing or just have some time to think it over. if you hold, the bid offer will still stand but they might give you a deadline to make your decision. Hope this helped.

By: frating 101

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: frating 101   

...and if i get downvoted over that post, i guarantee you it'll be from one of the crappy fraternities trying to discredit me so they can have a shot at you during formal rush. that's 100% my best advice because i can imagine how much not knowing how rush works could screw you over, and there's really no way you could know being from all the way across the country.

by: Georgia   

Thank you. That was very helpful. So given that I am coming from so far away, do you have any other advice for how I could get invited to parties or rush events at the fraternities? Once I sign up for rush on the IFC website will I just get texts from different fraternities inviting me to attend parties etc.? Sorry I just have no idea how this works and your post was very helpful.

By: Georgia
by: sorority   

If you go to the UGA Greek Life website, every chapter has its recruitment chairs' contact info. You could try emailing them and telling them that you're interested. I have to warn you though, I'm in a sorority so I don't know if this is a good idea or not.

By: sorority
#2by:    

Honestly there's not all that much you can do aside from signing up with IFC and waiting for the texts to come in. I guess if theres a fraternity that you're really interested in but don't hear from, you could try to email them but its unlikely that you'll hear back. If they're interested, they'll be the ones to contact you. Also fraternities don't really have big "parties" over the summer cause nobody's really in town but they're all willing to host kids that are rushing on any given night, especially if orientation is the only time to meet them.

That makes sense. So I should sign up for rush on the IFC website and expect texts from different fraternities inviting me to parties? Are the parties open or do I need to be invited? I thought I read somewhere that the parties are open at the beginning of the year and then are only open to members, or is that incorrect? Do you think me not knowing anybody and unable to visit in the summer eliminates me from being able to rush a top fraternity?

by: .   

no, summer rush is all invitation only. not knowing anybody definitely hurts but you could very well catch some top fraternities' eyes when once you're signed up with IFC. Its like $100 to sign up which is BS but you need to do that ASAP if you're out of state to get your name out.

By: .
by: lol   

its bs but rush is $200 now

By: lol

That's expensive. Once I sign up and get my name out what do I do? Since I'm not from Georgia, I know I will have to do other things to get in a top fraternity, but what exactly do I do? Is it as simple as signing up on the IFC website and waiting for texts to be invited to things? Or are there other things I can/should do? Is it different for the middle fraternities?

by: blueblazer   

Georgia - you might as well forget Old Row. If you've not accepted a bid, then you aren't joining. I know SigEP and Theta Chi offer scholarships. Applying for those may get you an added in. If you have excellent grades and only half way awkward, you may have a chance with SigEp or Fiji...

By: blueblazer

to the last post, thats just not true.. no fraternity is even halfway done filling their pledge class. summer classes haven't even started so theres really nobody in athens right now to even do much rushing. old row/top tier rush well into july. but to answer the question above, literally just sign up, wait to see who texts you inviting you to rush, let em know when you have orientation and that you can make it out while you're in town, and show up to their house at whatever time they tell you. you'll meet the guys there, and they'll take you downtown and hang out with you for the night. its that simple.

How late does old row/top tier rush? If I go during orientation week, would I still have a chance?

dawg quit overthinking the whole tier thing. just control what you can control and sign up with IFC asap and take advantage of the time you're in town for orientation.

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.