facebook

alpha phi vs dphie?

by: Dawg

It seems really weird that Panhellenic is having 2 new sororities colonize within 2 years. How do y'all expect APhi to differentiate themselves from DPhiE (and vice versa)? It just seems like both houses are going to end up fighting over the same relatively small group of PNMs once APhi starts doing formal recruitment and those houses will just replace ADG and DG as the new "bottom tier"... DPhiE has been clearly working hard and they have some awesome girls in their chapter, I just don't see any practical way for them or APhi to stand out and somehow get PNMs who have other options during recruitment. Unless Panhellenic plan on drastically lowering quota, the numbers just don't make sense for either chapter.

Posted By: Dawg
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: APhi   

Ask any APhi or DPhiE and they'll tell you they're not worried about the other. Even considering APhi's new and has to start from the bottom, they recruit way different girls from DPhiE. Besides, APhi doesn't start recruiting until a week or two after bid day!

By: APhi
by: OPMay 1, 2017 3:30:37 PM

But realistically (after Alpha Phi initially colonizes of course), they will still be recruiting from the same pool of PNMs. Many of those PNMs would rather end up in a more established chapter, and will rank DPhiE and Alpha Phi last. How exactly will either chapter manage to be selective enough to recruit "way different girls"? My main point is that unless Panhellenic lowers quota enough that more PNMs will get dropped completely, making them grateful to get a bid from any chapter, the pool of PNMs available to DPhiE and Alpha Phi will be too small for either chapter to differentiate itself and appeal to competitive PNMs. Currently 94-96% of PNMs invited to pref round have to get a bid during formal recruitment. This system leaves 5% of PNMs (mainly ones with few options) and GDIs for Alpha Phi to target when they colonize, and gives DPhiE almost no room to be selective during formal recruitment since they have to get as close to quota as possible. Unless we lower that percent of PNMs at pref round who get offered a bid from 95% to like 85%, it's virtually impossible for new chapters to be selective in any way.

By: OP
by: Huh?May 8, 2017 1:32:02 PM

"Ask any APhi?" Because they're not here yet...

By: Huh?
by: @Huh?May 8, 2017 6:06:07 PM

I know some transfers who were APhis at their old school and are gonna try to join the founding class

By: @Huh?
#2  by: hmm   

Alpha Phi will be a much better sorority at UGA. Not right away obviously but nationally they are very good and Dphie is weak.

By: hmm
by: OPMay 1, 2017 3:35:54 PM

National rank doesn't correlate to chapter success at UGA. Look at DG and AGD for example - both are huge nationally, and AGD is one of the oldest chapters at UGA. AGD has been stuck bottom tier for decades and it took DG like 10 years to recover from their scandal back in the 90s. Both chapters are improving, but only because they have DPhiE to take on some of their unwanted PNMs and neither one has been able to overtake an existing house (like gamma phi or pi phi). My post wasn't about who will be the better sorority, my post is pointing out that we have a quota system that makes it practically impossible to climb in the ranks and there aren't enough PNMs to warrant adding 2 new chapters within such a short time.

By: OP
#3  by: our new groups   

Panhel doesn't have to lower QUOTA unless the number of pnms attending final formal pref parties (FFPP) is lower than last year. If 3000 women attended FFPP last Fall, but 3600 attend FFPP this year, then this year's QUOTA will be higher. This year's number of FFPP attendees will likely remain the same or higher from last year's # so quota will likely stay the same or increase.

Lowering house total is a smarter option and helps relieve any current overflowing membership size within individual sorority chapters. Think about Arkansas and their 400+ member sorority chapters! Arkansas added 5 sororities in ten years in an attempt to lower their unwieldy house total numbers, but because Arkansas pnm numbers continue to rise the house total at Arkansas is still high and may go down when the number of women attempting FFPP goes down as well. Arkansas has also experimented with split quotas, when small sororities take large NM classes and large sororities take small NM classes. This has evened-out the number of women within each home, but each Arkansas sorority still has way too many women in it.

I have no statistics as to how many women are going thru UGA recruitment in Fall 2017, but when those women attend their Final Formal Pref Parties panhel will determine QUOTA and immediately after bid day panhel will set the new house total. Each sorority might work from there to fill-up with more women if they are not at house total.

By: our new groups
#4  by: sage   

I think both chapters have something different to offer and both will grow. If you look at the stats, Panhellenic membership has grown by roughly 1,300 women since 2011 (2,100 since Fall 2000). Chapter total has gone from 180 to 268 in that same time period. Ultimately, chapter size is up to the member chapters of Panhellenic with guidance from their HQ. Do they want to be like a Bama, Ole Miss, or Arkansas of 300-400 women chapters or is 200-240 a good size? What size would provide an enriching, quality sisterhood experience...what is "too large"? What is manageable but still generates enough revenue for the chapter and their housing needs? My take is that chapters wants to be a little smaller--why Panhellenic voted for expansion. I wouldn't be surprised if Panhellenic looked at expansion again in a few years.

This "old row" and "new row" stuff is just garbage. These chapters should be focusing on their values, sisterhood, campus leadership and involvement, academic success, alumnae mentoring, community service/philanthropy and a social atmosphere where members can have fun and enjoy their time in college. Who cares when you arrived on campus. Did your chapter contribute to the betterment of your members? That should be what truly matters. If judging chapters, rate them on how good they are in what they profess to be about. Are they top in grades? Are their members involved in leadership roles on campus or the community?

By: sage

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.