facebook

old row prestige

by: uga

"Old Row" is supposed to be more "prestigious" than the rest, but what exactly does "prestigious" mean?

Posted By: uga
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: True Facts    

It's harder to get in because you have to have an in. All of the girls know each other and are predominately from private schools. This also means that they have a lot of money. Generally their moms were old row too, which plays into the old money, old row concept.

By: True Facts
#2  by: Thank you    

This is actually really helpful

By: Thank you
#3  by: Yep   

This is accurate. However that doesn't make them the best chapters for a competitive pnm to join. The same prestige that makes them stand out also causes them to take some awkward legacies, or girls with bad reputations but happen to have a bff in the chapter. Phi Mu, Theta, and Chi O especially have a decent number of girls who got cut from most other houses but ended up in old row simply due to legacy status, money, or connections.

By: Yep
by: Hey YepApr 11, 2017 7:08:43 AM

This is fake news

By: Hey Yep
by: DuhApr 23, 2017 9:36:22 AM

Legacy status, money, and connections... that is the point of old row...

By: Duh
by: ObviousApr 23, 2017 10:51:39 AM

The connections these sororities have is the female equivalent to the "old boy network" with fraternities. They take care of their own. Old row mommas lose their minds when their legacies get cut, and most of the time, old row legacies don't get cut. Of course there are exceptions, but old row fraternities and sororities keep it exclusive by keeping it in the family.

By: Obvious
by: V trueApr 28, 2017 7:08:38 PM

I'm in an "old row" sorority and I actually agree with most of Yep's comment. We already have a pretty good idea of what PNMs we want in the fall. So even though we'll end up with a few random PNMs that we really like during recruitment, I would honestly recommend to all PNMs that if you don't have a pretty good idea of where you'll end up before recruitment, don't make it a goal to get a bid for "old row." We don't take many girls who don't have good connections. Top tier quality PNMs can be really happy in any chapter, but if you focus on a certain house without connections there, you're more likely to be disappointed or get a bid somewhere completely unexpected. Old row is prestigious for sure, but other sororities still have just as much to offer.

By: V true
#4  by: Truth   

You seriously just have to know the right people to get in or be really cool and become a "find"

By: Truth
by: AgreedJun 2, 2017 5:07:18 PM

Also, I know it's nerve racking, but just try and have a decent convo w the girl you most likely won't get cut

By: Agreed

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.