facebook

difficulty

by:    

How hard is sorority recruitment here? I consider myself very involved in high school and I make good grades BUT I don't have any connections here and I'm from out of state, will I even be given a second look? Do sororities care where their pnms come from?

Posted By: pmn fall 2017
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

No one cares where you are from. What to you have to offer the sororities? Recruitment isn't hard if you keep an open mind. If you go into rush thinking that you will not join ABC or DEF, then you will have a difficult time.

By: ikr
by: wrong   

This is so untrue. Where you are from is EVERYTHING. I went in having no specific house in mind and got cut from all but two houses which was both devastating and shocking.

By: wrong
by: lol   

hahaha @wrong, you just made "ikr"s point very clear - bahahahahaha!!

By: lol
#2by:    

I am from out of state, had a 4.0 gpa, ranked top ten, and knew no one at UGA. I had recs at every house and STILL got cut from all but two houses. I dropped rush completely. It is all about who you know and who knows you. What takes place during recruitment means little to nothing and 99% of the houses know who they want before they even being recruitment. I don't mean to scare you, just want to worn you because rush was heartbreaking for me. It is so superficial and rejection sucks. Try it out, be positive and try to stand out. Good luck.

By: anon123
by: anon 124   

agree- so superficial here

By: anon 124
by: True Facts    

This happens to a lot of people here, and it even happened to me. All I can say is if you're not feeling it just drop and try again next year. As a sophomore it's way easier, but freshman year will be hard

By: True Facts
#3by:    

it's not hard just be yourself and you'll end where you should be

By: uga

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: True Facts    

The people that say that are lying. Rush is so hard here. It's very superficial and just insane. all I can say is, get a Rec for every house or they will not look at you

By: True Facts
#4by:    

A few recommendations to greatly improve your chances. What the poster above said is very true. The top houses have a very good idea of who they want before rush even starts.

1) Get on the UGA roomate matching website and start networking (without being obvious or over the top) with local area girls whose bios mention they are going through rush. If you can establish an online rapport with "connected girls", that will help a lot. Friend them in Facebook, Instagram, etc. Members stalk the social media of PNMs they know from HS, from siblings, etc. If you are commenting on their pictures, you might get stalked too. Find out which HS SRs are going to the Spring Parties and try to meet with them

2) Visit Athens during one of the two "Spring Party" in mid to late April each year - Shower Cap and Chi Phi. Lots of "pre rushing" goes on these weeks. The "connected local PNMs" will be out in force. The also a good time to meet prospective freshman roomates.

3) Stay an extra day after orientation and network, and go out with people you have met online and at Spring Party week.

Last but not least, if being in a top sorority is very important to you, I would strongly consider enrolling in freshco. There will be a lot of PNMs in freshco and several active members watching and creating "their lists". Great chance to also make friends in the summer before rush and school starts.

What I am telling you might seem caddy but it is 100% true!

By: Helpful Tips
by: Yep   

I'm a junior & was in an old row house until I dropped at the end of last semester, and I can vouch that this is 100% the best way if you don't have connections. You would not believe how early top houses have their "dream pledge class" picked, or how extra they are when it comes to identifying pnms. For sure find out who the well connected girls are & befriend them fast, before orientation/freshco (by then it's most likely too late to be a significant top girl). Message them on fb saying you're going to uga etc (it's not weird I promise. Everyone wants to make friends before college). Friend current actives from your hometown if possible on Facebook, do anything you can to stay relevant.
Of course I realize this is extremely superficial and catty, which is a lot of the reason that I dropped. But all in all if you want to be on their radar, get yourself on their radar.

By: Yep
#5by:    

I'm in state and I rushed last fall without knowing anybody. I had recs for most of the houses but other than that I was on my own. I didn't have much trouble during rush and I'm happy where I ended up. Granted it doesn't work out for everyone, but go in with a positive attitude, be outgoing and see how it works!! Some sororities have lists before rush but tons value their girls opinions and let them vote it just depends!

By: Hi
#6by:    

freshco (freshman college) definitely gives a leg up to girls rushing, kd dirty rushed like 20 of them this summer

By: summer
by: ???   

Seriously, we just look at recs guys, freshco wont help that much. Also, how are you being in classes with freshman gonna help you meet older girls??

By: ???
by: hey now   

freshco is certainly not necessary if you want a good sorority but it without a doubt helps. even though you are meeting tons of freshman during freshco you meet a ton of older girls downtown during the summer and they will take to out and pregame at their apartment and stuff like that. it definitely helps tons of freshco girls are in really great sororities even if they didn't get dirty rushed by kd. it also gives the girls something to talk about during rush like what class they took, their new fave restaurant in Athens, and cute shops, and just all that kinda girly stuff

By: hey now
#7by:    

I know this post is a bit old, but don't let the fact that you're from out of state hold you back! I went through formal recruitment, and though I was dropped from most houses, I did end up finding the sorority for me! I will be frank with you though. . .Girls from GA will have an advantage over you and will probably end up with more houses at the end of each round. However, your success in recruitment is all about your attitude. If you're pessimistic that Girl A and B were called back to more houses than you, then it will show, and make us believe that you don't want to be there. However, if you stay positive and think that with every house that drops off from your list just brings you that much closer to deciding your future sisterhood. Remember that all of the houses that ask you back asked you back NOT because of your connections, but because of WHO you are.

By: Louisiana
#8by:    

It's not too hard if you get recs, network like people said, and have a good personality. Out of state or small town/small school pnms will always be at a disadvantage though, simply because girls want to recruit their friends and pnms who they already know will be a good fit. If you don't have friends in sororities here, you will have less control over where you end up, and will likely be cut from more houses early on, but if you have a great personality and keep an open mind, there's still a great chance you'll find your home here!

By: Hi

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.