facebook

some advice for 2017 oos pnms

by: An out of state success

As a mother, I just got done reading the thread "CUTS" and seeing the lack of recruitment success shared by some of OOS PNMs. Luckily, my OOS daughter had a better experience. She was invited back to 12-13 Round 1, 6-7 Round 2 (with all 5 old row), and 3-3 Prefs (all old row). Fingers crossed for bids tonight. This prompted me to reflect on what she may have done differently?

Going in, she knew exactly one girl at UGA, who was a HS friend and a member of a top house. This girl encouraged a long weekend trip to Athens in April. During the visit, she stayed at Brumby and was introduced to several girls in many different houses. She says this informal setting was much easier to get to know people than the 20 mins you get at each house over the first 3 days of rush. She connected with many of these girls on Facebook and Instagram and stayed in touch over the summer. We made sure her social media looked great.

She also met a GA HS girl on this trip that had connections in another top house. They decided to become roommates and went to orientation together. Her roomate introduced her to several more girls during orientation weekend.

My daughter says that she has heard that many houses have an "A" list of targets before formal rush even starts. So I think you have to visit in the Spring if you are OOS. We are from the West and had no recs from UGA alums. She had 2 recs for 2 houses and 1 rec for about 6 more so recs might be overstated.

Posted By: An out of state success
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: BS   

get off her Mommy troll and that story sounds like pure fiction.

By: BS
#2  by: Alum   

Can you explain to me what Old Row is? I thought that was something at University of Alabama?

By: Alum
by: YeahAug 15, 2016 3:09:28 PM

Theta kappa chi o adpi phi mu

By: Yeah
by: AlumAug 15, 2016 3:15:43 PM

How did those get to be called Old Row?

by: AlumAug 15, 2016 3:19:48 PM

Having girls from our town here that have gone thru Rush the prior two years and this year, the ones that they all either pledged or are liking the most are KD, Zeta, and AOPII. None of those are on the list that you mentioned??

by: YeahAug 15, 2016 3:21:18 PM

You must not be from an old money area. Old row takes girls from old money places like Atlanta private schools and out of state like Texas and Arkansas.

by: AlumAug 15, 2016 3:48:03 PM

So you are saying that the six you mentioned are snobs and won't even look at girls unless their dad has a thick wallet? Wow. Now that is something to really be proud of. Still, not sure where the old row name came from? I know girls that are in all of those and only a few have wealthy parents and some are from very small towns. But, now, come to think of it, those girls were the ones that didn't seem to thrilled with their college sorority experience. I bet they fooled those sororities and got in and they got hated on because they were not rich. Darn.

#3  by: nope   

@out of state is right. You have to have girls on the inside pull for you. We have said this over and over.....

By: nope
#4  by: Yeah   

I'm in an old row house and honestly all the girls on our top list typically go to spring frat parties. Also old row houses are competitive with each other; if one house wants a girl eventually they all want her.

by: So...Aug 21, 2016 6:10:46 PM

You're basically saying you only want locals because anyone out of state can't just swing by for a spring frat party. Good to
know.

By: So...
#5  by: copycat   

Get over yourselves...there is no OLD ROW, that's Bama. Stop trying to copy everything they do.

By: copycat
by: Hey!Aug 15, 2016 9:54:01 PM

Also, old row only refers to fraternities at Bama and not sororities!

By: Hey!
#6  by: Really   

At 'Put of state success' - Quote -'going in she knew exactly one girl from UGA who was a friend from HS...' Wait, if you're from OOS and the West, how does your child have a friend from HS in a top tier house?

By: Really

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.