facebook

best non-panhellenic sorority to get involved with.

by:    

Curious to know your opinions on the non-panhellenic sororities in Toronto. Local and International. We need to get to know everyone in our greek community here in Toronto!

Posted By: CuriousCat
Page 1 of 2
#1by:    

DPhiNu are psychos

By: Crazies
#2by:    

I've heard this, but in what way!?

By: CuriousCat
#3by:    

DSD

By: -
#4by:    

Agreed, and the non-panhel hate needs to stop. We all joined sororities to support other women and make connections, so it shouldn’t matter whether or not they’re panhel.

By: Done
#5by:    

I personally am part of a non Panhellenic sorority and I think it is completely unfair and elitist to assume that non Panhellenic organizations do not have a strong sisterhood and should not use greek letters. similar to girls in Panhellenic organizations, we too are looking for a sisterhood and due to the fact that we don't attend uoft, we are not able to join a Panhellenic organization in Toronto. It is unfair to assume that we don't have a history and shouldnt use greek letters because just like YOU we want to be apart of the greek community, contribute towards a philanthropy we believe in and create lifelong bonds with a group of women we call our sisters. We work just as hard and care just as much about creating safe spaces and empowering women. Just because we werent founded in the 1800s it does not mean that our sisterhood is any less than yours, just different and that is OKAY. Just like you we are women who are looking for a home away from home and just because we dont have a physical home, for example, it does not mean we haven't created a deep meaningful sisterhood in our own right. We respect and constantly support the Panhellenic sororities and are in no way trying to compete with them and all we get back is hatred and disrespect. It is our right to brand ourselves with greek letters and call ourselves a sisterhood and all we ask for back is respect. Girls need to support girls instead of tearing them down.

By: girlsneedtosupportgirls
#6by:    

silence is the best answer for an ignorant one that is very determined to stay ignorant. You are the try hard btw

By: Passionateessaywriter
#7by:    

The next time you make use of the word class, be sure that all your panhel sisters live up to the standard of that word loool and remember hating won't get you anywhere in life.

By: Classyindeed
#8by:    

Those are fair points, and I think if that's the basis of the issue between the two groups then the main issue is communication.

I can't speak for all non-NPC organizations, but my own has very strict rules and regulations that do get enforced strictly by our headquarters. Hazing and any kind of behaviour that would represent us poorly has serious consequences.
Additionally, we prioritize sisterhood events and philanthropy above socials with fraternities. We keep our Rush events separate from Fratland. So if those are the reasons, then it is frustrating to be told we do not deserve to call ourselves a sorority when the basis of that hate is unfounded.

However, while some other NPC sororities do incorporate those elements into their events, it has to be understood that it primarily comes from Fraternities being much more open and willing to work with us than NPC sororities. We often do not have houses, and so bars and frats become the easiest places to hold events. In shutting us out, the behaviour that seems to be despised so much is perpetuated. By hosting events exclusive to NPC sororities, a hostile environment is created and you are unable to see our internal sisterhood.

If we could have a more open discourse without resorting to name-calling on either end, we would likely improve the Greek experience for all involved and the Greek community in general. Instead of having animosity between the two types of organizations, perhaps we can work towards improving each other?

What I gather from this conversation so far, NPC sororities are upset with being misrepresented by non-NPC sororities due to a lack of apparent discipline and an over-reliance on Fraternities. Whereas non-NPC sororities simply want to be included more, and eliminate the feeling of condescension from NPC sororities.

This seems like it can be a civil discussion and solution, maybe the Panhel Council can address this?

By: Confused
by: Almost   

Fact has a point, but also Panhel is strictly uoft only. Since we’re recognized by ulife and the utsu, membership has to be restricted to the 3 uoft campuses (Panhel even has our student numbers to prove that membership is uoft only). I know sometimes local sororities at American College Panhellenics are given associate membership in that College’s panhel. Some of the UTSC sororities could pursue that if they wanted to be more involved in Panhel! However they would probably have to start paying Panhel dues and accept members outside of UTSC.

By: Almost
#9by:    

NPC events are "exclusive" because part of Panhellenic sorority dues go towards the panhel budget. only makes sense that those that pay be "exclusively" invited

By: Fact
#10by:    

Mel please stop you’re embarrassing yourself

By: Hehe

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.