facebook

is it better to be greek than not greek?

by: greek life

Just wondering.....if I'm only offered a bid to a lower tier house, should I drop? Or is it always better to be greek at A&M?

Posted By: greek life
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: depends   

It depends. If you need a lot of alone time, then you won't like being in a house. For me, though, the amazing sisterhood I have in my house is something that I could never have duplicated living in a dorm or apt. I've always had friends, of course, but sisterhood is so much more! So for me, going greek was the best choice.

I would say not to worry about the "rank" of the house. All this stuff you read on greekrank is people posturing to make sure their house is competitive for recruitment. The greeks at A&M are very respectful and have a sense of community that is very inclusive. We all work together and play together regardless of letters.

Having said that, if you are the type of person that is looking to use your greek affiliation as a social ladder to climb, then perhaps it wouldn't work for you. No house will want you as a reluctant member. If you are not confident enough in your own personality to carry off any choice you make, then you would just be socially awkward at events and embarrass the house. Not to mention irritate and annoy the kind girls that invited you to be their sister.

And worst of all would be accepting a bid to a house that you consider beneath you (although remember, they're actually THE ONLY ONE that wanted you!!!) and then depledging. That would not only leave a hole in a pledge class, a big without a little, etc., but would also deprive some other girl of a bid that they could have had if you'd declined it.

By: depends
#2  by: depends   

So, it depends on what kind of person you are. I'd say if you want to be greek (and for me it's the only way!), LOSE THE ATTITUDE! Stop thinking about any house as a "lower rank" house or you will be choosing a house for the wrong reasons.

Choose a house because the girls love you and make you feel at home. Make any house you commit to the very best one at A&M -- put all your energy into making them great.

Go with your heart, not with "greekrank."

By: depends
#3  by: Totally Agree   

Girls don't make it through rush at all, so even getting a bid to a "lower tier sorority" is an honor.

By: Totally Agree
#4  by: good question   

Of course you should, if you liked the house! Will other Greeks (and A&M students) judge you on your looks personality, and intelligence? Yes, that happens everywhere! Will you be judged by the letters of the house you belong to? No! In fact, in most classes, Greeks will usually sit together because we all have that "Greek" thing in common. Every Greek girl has friends in all of the houses. Trust me, the GR ranking is not going to determine your social acceptance at all! :D.

By: good question
#5  by: agree   

I agree. You should only accept a bid if you think the sorority is honoring you by giving you the bid. If you think you're doing them a favor and they don't really deserve you, you should decline the bid. It is a huge honor to get a bid to any sorority at A&M and if you don't know that you and your house will suffer.

I think a lot of it has to do with self-confidence. If you're pretty secure and confident, you'll be happy with a bid to the lowest ranked house on here because you will see that they're great girls that think a lot of you and you will have made some strong connections during recruitment. If you're not self-confident, you are looking at greekrank to tell you if they're great girls.

Only you know what kind of character you have. :)

By: agree
#6  by: You   

need to feel that you can fit in with the house/houses that you have left. Try to observe and talk to as many girls as you can to get the best picture of that house. There are different kinds of girls in each house and if base your opinion on only the girls you get to talk to, you could make the wrong choice. After the first round of recruitment, before I made my first preference I really liked a certain house. They cut me, don't feel bad. I went to the max houses during the second round.(nine) I went through recruitment and I am very happy with the house that I am in. The house that cut me that I liked, it not a "top tier" house and knowing what I know now, would not have been a good fit for me. They have the reputation of not being very involved with other Greek events and not being that social. Just see what happens.

By: You
#7  by: hum...   

My opinion is that the houses are very large and there are literally all kinds of girls in each one. If you are a happy person generally, you will be happy in any house. If you're insecure, you will need other people to label a house as a good house before you will be happy. If you're a person with a bad attitude, no house will be right for you. I know too many people who were disappointed on bid day who now say that the house they got was actually the perfect house. I firmly believe that what you think going in is the absolute right house for you is not necessarily the perfect house. May be, but also may not be. But in any event, you have one shot at this. Next year, you'll be cut by the houses that cut you this year and you'll also probably be cut by the house that took you. The only one that wanted you! But.... and this is the important thing.... regardless of where you end up, you have to throw yourself into it. You can't hang back wondering if this is a good fit. You can't have self doubt. If you don't like the first girls you meet, go introduce yourself to some others and keep doing that until you know them all. I guarantee you'll find girls that you love. But if you sit in a chair in the corner waiting for a new best friend to walk up and introduce herself, it's not going to happen regardless of the tier of the house.

By: hum...
#8  by: agree   

It is really a unique experience to be part of Greek life that can't be duplicated by any other campus organization. Where else will you have a huge national network of sisters after college?

If you only get a bid to a lower house, try it out. What do you have to lose? You won't get a better bid next year. Sometimes it takes a while to get to know everyone and feel "at home." Your house may be lower tier when you join but you can make it upper tier by the time you graduate! I think you'll find that you ended up in the perfect house for you--it always works the way it's supposed to.

#9  by: agree   

I agree with the comment that there are a lot of girls in every house and you can find girls like you in every single house at A&M. I have friends in all the houses and realize now I could have been happy in any of them. The whole tier thing is silly and largely an invention that exists on greekrank and in tent talk during recruitment. Once we have our letters, we're just all greeks together. And I love the girl who said a lower tier house when you join could be upper tier when you graduate through your efforts,

by: agsororityAug 9, 2013 3:04:10 PM

I agree too about your house being lower when you join but higher when you graduate. It's not like UT where the tiers never change. I'm a senior and the tiers have really changed since my first year. All it takes is some hard work to make your sorority good.

Don't join a group thinking that the letters will make you popular. YOU make your letters popular.

By: agsorority
#10  by: double message   

How can you say all TAMU houses are great then turn around and add that with a little work your house could be good? Doesn't this contradict the posts stating that GR rankings don't matter?

By: double message
by: what?Aug 9, 2013 7:01:07 PM

All our houses are an asset to A&M and ranks DON'T matter but you can always improve your house...
increase your chapter's gpa, do more philanthropy work, contribute more to campus leadership, win more awards....there's tons of ways to improve your house!

By: what?
by: ???Aug 10, 2013 12:44:31 AM

That was not what was being said. Obviously the poster was concerned about the rank of a sorority -- she'd learned that from greekrank where some houses are ranked lower than others.

She was told that after you pledge, rank doesn't matter. (It obviously did to her BEFORE she pledged, though, or she wouldn't have brought it up.)

She was told that by working hard for her sorority she could raise their rank on greekrank so that other PNMs would not have to worry about rank if they liked her house.

Surely you don't think that A&M students are confusing a sorority's rank on greekrank with it's actual value to its members. Ridiculous! Every girl loves her house but not every house is top tier. But by working hard, girls can raise their house's rank on here. Next year when PNMs are trolling around on this site, they'll see XYZ house in the upper ranks and won't be alarmed like the original poster was.

By: ???

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.