facebook

i want to rush but i have a low gpa

by:    

so i really want to rush but unfortunately i dont meet the GPA requirement and im really confused on how to go about this as i really want to rush and there’s no way a school with a 99% acceptance rate has a gpa requirement, what are my options i dont want to be left out

Posted By: help
Page 1 of 2
#1by:    

There is very much a GPA requirement for Greek life.

It doesn’t affect the overall campus so much to give low-performing students a second chance, since there may be a few keepers and the ones who wash out will at least pay some tuition.

But Greek organizations are judged in large part on academics, by campus Greek life and by their nationals. They will allow few if any members who will drag down the overall chapter GPA. Plus sororities especially are very focused on girls who will support the chapter with their time and money for a full four years, and freshman with low GPAs are likely to only last a semester or a year at best.

If a chapter gives a bid to a grade risk and they flunk out, they’ve basically wasted a space that could have gone to a more deserving woman who will do more to build the chapter.

IF your mom is a wealthy alum from an Ole Miss chapter you can likely coast through with a low GPA - but if that were the case you wouldn’t be on here asking about your chances.

So honestly, with a subpar GPA it will likely b difficult if not impossible to secure a bid.

I’m sorry. Best of luck.

By: Truth
#2by:    

There is no GPA requirement to go through recruitment, so you are free to register and go through the process as far as you can for the purpose of meeting some people and making friends. Set your realistic expectations and expect to be dropped, but do your best at every house and don't be apologetic, you never know, maybe your personality or other qualities will pull you through a bit. If you get completely cut but make some good friends, if they have the chance to include you in some things they will.

By: Realistic

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: GA roots    

There IS a hard limit on grades that girls have to meet to register for 2024 PRIMARY RECRUITMENT. It is a 2.7 GPA.

Anyone w/ a lower GPA who tries to register will be notified they can not participate in Primary Recruitment and will get instructions re: next steps for their circumstances. (Ex. If a PNM was accepted to Ole Miss w/ a 2.64 but graduated w/ a 2.8, they need to get their final hs transcript sent ASAP to meet the 7/14 deadline for recruitment registration.) The communication’s focus on excluding a person w/ less than a 2.7 left me wondering if that person could participate in other formats like spring rush or fall events where bids are offered by a house that missed quota by a few spots? Not my area of expertise.

If the person was just not super focused on grades in hs but is smart, and the GPA is close, mb they could do 1-2 online classes (self-paced) to get to 2.7? It prob would not get them to the yellow zone let alone green though. Mb it would be better to work hard, make friends, etc. & go through in spring or fall. I think they’d only look at ole miss grades after Sem 1, but that is a registrar/Panhellenic question. But- IF they only count college grades and the person can get a 3.0ish do y’all think spring or wait for fall??

By: GA roots
#3by:    

The school acceptance rate is because all Miss students are given admission. You will find a lot of OOS students because there is generous merit money for high ACT scores. Sororities are competitive. Check out the Ole Miss Greek academic report and the Greek Scorecard to see the sororities with highest GPAs. They will not accept grade risks.

By: Grades
#4by:    

Why is your HS GPA so low?

By: Be realistic
by: Mississippi   

Especially if you're from Mississippi (which I assume you are if you're getting in with a low GPA) - it's not like the high schools here are top-tier. If you can't make your way through Mississippi's school system, it doesn't bode well for your college prospects.

By: Mississippi
#5by:    

the requirement is a 2.7 and i don’t meet that please help me i’ll do anything

By: help
by: frat vs srat   

You are referring to fraternity rush, not sorority rush. Sorority rush does not have a grade requirement to rush, so see above comment about that. Fraternity rush requires a 2.7. If you don't have a 2.7 then you'll have to wait a year while making grades and making friends. Friends will let you come to events this year and come next fall when you make grades and can rush they will pull for you for a bid. That is all you can do for frats.

By: frat vs srat
#6by:    

Get good freshman grades and rush later. It is not the end of the world. Remember it is college after all and the point is to get an education. There are lots of ways to get involved.

By: GPA
by: Honestly   

It sounds like they’re coming here to be Greek, which is not all that unusual

By: Honestly
#7by:    

Even if you aren't in a sorority you can meet fraternity guys and get invited to their parties. If you're cute most guys won't worry too much about whether you're Greek. You might even find a rich husband so you won't have to worry about getting good grades or having a career.

Athletes party pretty hard too.

By: MRS Degree
#8by:    

From a timely post about sorority GPAs - in theory your best hopes are AOPi (3.02), APhi (2.98) and AXO (2.83). These are the averages, so some girls must not even be going to class.

AOPi and AXO are probably looking to improve their grade rankings. I don't think APhi cares all that much.

But keep in mind these GPAs do reflect women who did okay in high school but are now overwhelmed at college, either because they were ill-prepared by Mississippi's subpar schools/had an artificially high GPA going in to recruitment or they are just partying too much and their grades have suffered.

I hope you find a home but you have to understand you're starting out at a disadvantage.

By: Slim Chance
#9by:    

I have seen grade risks issued bids when the PNM was highly connected. I have also seen them issued to PNM's from certain exceptionally difficult schools especially when an alum has recommended the PNM and had an explanation for the low grades (family issues, illness, etc.). This is assuming you are rushing for a sorority and not a fraternity. I know things are different in fraternities.

By: Been There
#10by:    

It would probably help to clarify if you’re talking about fraternity or sorority rush, though I seriously cannot imagine a guy writing something all hysterical like this 😂

By: pick a side

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.