facebook

Seeking advice on open bidding for fraternities

by:    

I ended up getting dropped by every fraternity on campus by Round 3. I didn't suicide any house, and purposely didn't research any of them before rushing, so that I could come in with an open mind. I found a few chapters that I see myself being very happy at. We had around 1,500 PNMs this year, so I believe that I got dropped simply because of the high volume of people. I also come from a town where nobody goes to Ole Miss, so I had nobody that could vouch for me. The fraternity that I have 3 generations of legacy was disbanded at Ole Miss, so I didn't have that in my favor either. I'm seeking advice on what to do moving forward. Would y'all recommend that I participate in Continuous Open Bidding and try to get a bid to a house in the next 2 weeks, rush again in the spring, or rush as a sophomore next year? Or would y'all recommend that I don't join a fraternity and try to meet people another way? Is it common for chapters to give out open bids? Any advice on my next move would be appreciated, as I find myself very confused on what I should do.

Posted By: Anonymous
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

I can't answer your question regarding COB. BUT - you need to know this is not a reflection on YOU. It is simply a messed up system that favors connections which are very difficult if you're from OOS. My experience has been that most everyone is so nice, so get to know people across campus and consider rushing next year if you still want to. Meet the guys in the houses and express interest in the ones you like. BUT - most of all, you have to know and believe that it's a reflection of the system NOT a reflection of YOU.

By: Anonymous

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: Anonymous   

It is what it is. I tried my best, was my true self, and have a good idea of where I'd like to go if I get another chance. Unfortunately, that's the system. I had 2 cousins rush the fraternity that I have over 3 generations of legacy at, and they got a bid immediately. It's not the end of the world. There's tons of other student groups on campus to keep me busy, and maybe I can get a bid later as I meet the brothers around campus.

By: Anonymous
by: Right   

You have a good attitude and like it was said above, this is not a reflection on you. The system at OM sucks. It might not hurt to sign up for COB. You never know what will happen. Good luck and keep that good attitude.

By: Right
#2by:    

kinda seem chill bro.

Would y'all recommend that I participate in Continuous Open Bidding and try to get a bid to a house in the next 2 weeks, rush again in the spring, or rush as a sophomore next year? Or would y'all recommend that I don't join a fraternity and try to meet people another way?

best idea is first, it gets worse from there

By: hm
#3by:    

It will be okay mom. Your son will find his way it’s part of growing up and being a man.

By: Ok

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.